Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 1 Apr 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3387360)   #51
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't a bad race. I give Kurt Busch credit for not losing his temper, after the run-ins with Brad K. Brad kind of showed his ass today. Bristol and Martinsville have been the two best races of the season, so far. That is generally the case, short tracks usually produce the best racing of the year. I wish there were more of them on the schedule. Hard to believe that there are only 3 short tracks left on the schedule, but that is the way it is.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3387374)   #52
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am liking these finishes with so much on the line.
Sense of urgency has picked up 10 fold with ten to go.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 11:37 (Ref:3387394)   #53
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TV Ratings are in the toilet.

Quote:
TV Ratings for Martinsville down: Overnight ratings hit a season-low for NASCAR on FOX. Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup STP 500 from Martinsville earned a 3.8 overnight rating on FOX, down 5% from last year (4.0), and down a tick from 2012 (3.9). Excluding rainouts, the 3.8 is the lowest ever for the spring Martinsville race on FOX (2001, 2003-present). The 3.8 is also the lowest for any Sprint Cup telecast this season, falling below the previous mark of 4.0 set the previous week at Fontana. So far this season, all six NASCAR Sprint Cup races have had declines in overnights compared to last year. Despite the lower numbers, NASCAR was easily the top non-NCAA Tournament draw of the weekend on broadcast.(Sports Media Watch)(4-1-2014)
Old 2 Apr 2014, 02:32 (Ref:3387661)   #54
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In comparison to Indycar's .6 that doesn't seem too bad.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 01:02 (Ref:3388112)   #55
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
In comparison to Indycar's .6 that doesn't seem too bad.
You know, it always amazes me how indy fans cheer, celebrate and hope for bad to come to NASCAR, whenever NASCAR TV numbers show a decrease! One would think that with their TV ratings, for practically ever race that their series runs, come in, in the 0.something range, they would spend just a little bit more time trying to support their series than trying to tear NASCAR down! And they wonder why many of us NASCAR fans want nothing to do with them or their series!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3388124)   #56
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
You know, it always amazes me how indy fans cheer, celebrate and hope for bad to come to NASCAR, whenever NASCAR TV numbers show a decrease! One would think that with their TV ratings, for practically ever race that their series runs, come in, in the 0.something range, they would spend just a little bit more time trying to support their series than trying to tear NASCAR down! And they wonder why many of us NASCAR fans want nothing to do with them or their series!
Similar to how Tech fans would rather see the Dawgs lose than the bugs win.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 02:26 (Ref:3388129)   #57
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I watch both, so I don't know what that makes me other than a giant dweeb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Well Tech is going to lose, so I really don't have a choice do I? Wait, I do... Go Eagles!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 03:05 (Ref:3388134)   #58
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
The difference I see is that the vast majority of Indycar figures are made up of true fans. The % of ratings from "average fans" is pretty small. NASCAR has their hardcore fans, however due to NASCAR's media reach, their ratings include a greater number of "average fans". When NASCAR figures drop, it's more likely that the reduction is due to the common fan leaving, giving racing fans a better and better idea of where the hardcore fan base lies.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 10:30 (Ref:3388223)   #59
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I watch both, so I don't know what that makes me other than a giant dweeb!
I be a dweeb too
Old 3 Apr 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3388369)   #60
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
The difference I see is that the vast majority of Indycar figures are made up of true fans. The % of ratings from "average fans" is pretty small. NASCAR has their hardcore fans, however due to NASCAR's media reach, their ratings include a greater number of "average fans". When NASCAR figures drop, it's more likely that the reduction is due to the common fan leaving, giving racing fans a better and better idea of where the hardcore fan base lies.
I really don't think Indycar fans realize just how bad a 0.6 on Sunday afternoon cable (down from 1.1 in 2012) is.

NASCAR may be losing fans but Indycar is on the deathbed.

Overall, racing's fanbase in the United States is both figuratively and literally dying. The sport better do something because this trend is only going to continue even when counting just basic demography and not fan interest.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3388396)   #61
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Well, this illustrates my point. I have lost interest and do not care which team wins this game, each year. This is because the fans, of both teams have become such *******s, that they make it impossible to enjoy this game, anywhere other than in the confines of my home. I don't care which team wins, I watch this game, now, soley due to tradition. The fans have ruined it for me!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3388408)   #62
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I really don't think Indycar fans realize just how bad a 0.6 on Sunday afternoon cable (down from 1.1 in 2012) is.

NASCAR may be losing fans but Indycar is on the deathbed.

Overall, racing's fanbase in the United States is both figuratively and literally dying. The sport better do something because this trend is only going to continue even when counting just basic demography and not fan interest.
Sadly, you have an extreamly valid and good point. Racing, it the U.S. is dying out and I'm not sure that there is anything that can be done to stop the decline.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3388416)   #63
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
I don't think that makes you a dweeb. I don't criticize someone because of what they watch/enjoy. It's really none of my or anyone else's business. Different people like, enjoy different things, that is just the way that life works out. Some people, like you, can enjoy both, others, like myself, watch and enjoy only one and don't care for the other. What has always bothered me is that most, on the other side, seem to think it is their business and take it upon themselves to criticize, insult, personally attack me and those like me, because I don't happen to like, enjoy, watch or support what they watch, enjoy, etc. Their take on it is that because I don't like, enjoy, prefer what they like, enjoy, prefer, there is something wrong with me! What they either do not realize or realize, but don't care about, is that because of their attitudes toward us, they have damaged and continue to damage their prefered form of racing, by making people like me not want to have anything to do with either their sport or them!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3388422)   #64
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
You're talking about what is usually refered to as the "casual" fan. Maybe you are right, about finding where the true/hardcore fans are. But, it does not address my point of why that fanbase takes so much glee, shows so much joy each and every time that NASCAR takes a hit, gets lower ratings than the previous year, for their races! Like I said above, one would thing that instead of expending their time/energy cheering everytime they see NASCAR numbers not doing well, they would spend that time and energy trying to build up their series. It makes no sense to try to tear another series down, it does nothing to elevate their series!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3388638)   #65
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
I be a dweeb too
Quote:
Dweebs unite!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3388764)   #66
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Dweebs unite!
All bow to the king.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 23:26 (Ref:3389108)   #67
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sadly, you have an extreamly valid and good point. Racing, it the U.S. is dying out and I'm not sure that there is anything that can be done to stop the decline.
In a perfect world, all US racing fans would unite and put their differences aside, and save racing across the Americas. The divide is only hurting all sides, unless this changes. Auto racing, no matter what type, could be a major force to reckon with, even be bigger than many other sports. Indycar, TUSCC, SWC, NASCAR etc fans crossing lines to watch eachothers' series. That's what I'm getting at.

I wish it would happen, but it's unlikely. We can only make the best with what we have.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 03:46 (Ref:3389137)   #68
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chances of a 7th different winner are fairly high imo. I still don't think we are going to reach 16 winners by the 26th race.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 11:20 (Ref:3389265)   #69
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Smoke on pole - Ambrose in the top 10
Old 6 Apr 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3389269)   #70
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Chances of a 7th different winner are fairly high imo. I still don't think we are going to reach 16 winners by the 26th race.
I think you're right here. There could very well be a 7th winner (actually, I'm afraid that there will be a 7th winner, one that none of us is going to like, the weather. It's not looking good in that part of Texas today, ALLOT of rain, all day and night! I hope not, but it doesn't look good) today. Several drivers that normally win races in a season, but have not won yet, are due, and could very well get it done, today. Greg Biffle is a consistent winner here, could very well be him. But you are right, I don't see 16 different winners by the close of the season. Odds are too much against that happening!
Old 6 Apr 2014, 13:16 (Ref:3389293)   #71
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
In a perfect world, all US racing fans would unite and put their differences aside, and save racing across the Americas. The divide is only hurting all sides, unless this changes. Auto racing, no matter what type, could be a major force to reckon with, even be bigger than many other sports. Indycar, TUSCC, SWC, NASCAR etc fans crossing lines to watch eachothers' series. That's what I'm getting at.

I wish it would happen, but it's unlikely. We can only make the best with what we have.
Yes, I know what you're getting at, but like you say, "In a perfect world". This world is far from perfect.

I'll be honest, I can't agree that if all racing fans banned together, racing could be that much of a force to reckon with. That is because fans of other sports far outnumber all of the fans of auto racing here. Auto racing, in the United States, has always been a niche sport, granted a very large niche, but still a niche. A niche is not going to challenge something that is mainstream. Football, baseball and basketball are the big sports in this country, they're mainstream and racing will not ever really be a force for them to reckon with. That said, racing has managed to hold it's own, pretty well, against the mainstreams. Whether that continues, in the future, is questionable though.

The problem in this country, with regards to the fans of the different forms of racing, is akin to the problem with the Arabs and the Israelies, there has not ever, is not now and will not ever be any peace between them. They, for whatever reason, naturally dislike and fight each other. I'll use this example, since we are talking about the two, indycar vs NASCAR fans. As a NASCAR fan, I have been called, both on the internet and in person, stupid, ignorant, the "lowest common denominator", plenty of other names as well. On two seperate occasions, I was involved in physical altercations (yes, read that fist-fights) with indycar fans. Why, you ask? Because I happened to like something different than what they liked. I'm sorry, but over they years, this has grown somewhat tiresome. Fact is though, this type of treatemnt has not exactly made me what you would call anxious to rush out and attend one of their races or to watch any of their races on television. To the contrary, it has turned me very much against indycar racing. Please bear in mind, I am not saying all fans of that form of racing, but I am saying the majority that I have had dealings with have been hostile toward me, simply because I happen to be a NASCAR fan and not a fan of what they like. Like I said, in a post above -- "different people happen to like different things". What someone happens to like is their business and just because it is different than what someone else like. does not make it wrong and does not make the individual stupid, ignorant, etc. It really is no one else's business what I or anyone else happens to like or prefer over someone else's like or preference and they have NO right to tell me or anyone else, that because of my like or preference, that I am wrong, stupid, illiterate, etc.. It's sad, but that is the way it is and the damage, that they have done is irreparable. I won't disagree with you, that you have to make the best of what you have, but as long as those kinds of attitudes prevail, there will be no change, those attitudes will make change impossible.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3389321)   #72
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but they aren't even showing "Raceday" on FS1. Just a replay of the glorified practice session, know these days as qualifying. When they don't show the Pre-race shows, that IS NOT a good sign! Forecast calls for 100% chance of rain and thunderstorms, in the DFW area! Sadly, it looks like they've nailed the prediction/forcast today. Better set those DVRs for tomorrow, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we're going to be seeing a race today!
Old 6 Apr 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3389416)   #73
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I know what you're getting at, but like you say, "In a perfect world". This world is far from perfect.

I'll be honest, I can't agree that if all racing fans banned together, racing could be that much of a force to reckon with. That is because fans of other sports far outnumber all of the fans of auto racing here. Auto racing, in the United States, has always been a niche sport, granted a very large niche, but still a niche. A niche is not going to challenge something that is mainstream. Football, baseball and basketball are the big sports in this country, they're mainstream and racing will not ever really be a force for them to reckon with. That said, racing has managed to hold it's own, pretty well, against the mainstreams. Whether that continues, in the future, is questionable though.

The problem in this country, with regards to the fans of the different forms of racing, is akin to the problem with the Arabs and the Israelies, there has not ever, is not now and will not ever be any peace between them. They, for whatever reason, naturally dislike and fight each other. I'll use this example, since we are talking about the two, indycar vs NASCAR fans. As a NASCAR fan, I have been called, both on the internet and in person, stupid, ignorant, the "lowest common denominator", plenty of other names as well. On two seperate occasions, I was involved in physical altercations (yes, read that fist-fights) with indycar fans. Why, you ask? Because I happened to like something different than what they liked. I'm sorry, but over they years, this has grown somewhat tiresome. Fact is though, this type of treatemnt has not exactly made me what you would call anxious to rush out and attend one of their races or to watch any of their races on television. To the contrary, it has turned me very much against indycar racing. Please bear in mind, I am not saying all fans of that form of racing, but I am saying the majority that I have had dealings with have been hostile toward me, simply because I happen to be a NASCAR fan and not a fan of what they like. Like I said, in a post above -- "different people happen to like different things". What someone happens to like is their business and just because it is different than what someone else like. does not make it wrong and does not make the individual stupid, ignorant, etc. It really is no one else's business what I or anyone else happens to like or prefer over someone else's like or preference and they have NO right to tell me or anyone else, that because of my like or preference, that I am wrong, stupid, illiterate, etc.. It's sad, but that is the way it is and the damage, that they have done is irreparable. I won't disagree with you, that you have to make the best of what you have, but as long as those kinds of attitudes prevail, there will be no change, those attitudes will make change impossible.
I really don't know what to say to your horrible experiences...that's just cruel. I've never heard anything like it. At some point, the fans of that series have to sit down and wonder why their series is falling apart.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3389427)   #74
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm so insanely tired of rain messing with races this year. Has to be some sort of record, and we're just a few races into 2014!
Old 6 Apr 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3389429)   #75
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I'm so insanely tired of rain messing with races this year. Has to be some sort of record, and we're just a few races into 2014!
I know what you mean, but I can remember other years that it has been the same way. Seems that there are just years that it's like this. Like you, I've VERY tired of it, but what can you say?