Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 4 Dec 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1476926)   #1
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Thackwell

Can Anyone tell me \whether Mike Thackwell is still in anyway involed in Motorsport?
Old 4 Dec 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1476939)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mike Thackwell retired in the late '80s and has had little or no involvement with motorsport since. I believe he has since worked as a teacher.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 03:00 (Ref:1477080)   #3
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from what I know/read he did a total walk out of motorsport job. Last I knew he was a school teacher. ( why did I never have a teacher like mike! )
Old 5 Dec 2005, 04:08 (Ref:1477096)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe he was a publican on the south coast since the teaching job. He should still be racing, perhaps DTM or Sportscars after many GP and Indycar wins - in a proper world! I'd love to see him in GP Masters, but apparently he is very disillusioned with racing, udnerstandable really. His sister married David Brabham.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 06:48 (Ref:1477140)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way thats written it makes it sound like he's 'off' racing because of his sister's choice! :-)
Old 5 Dec 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1477692)   #6
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i heard he was running a pub down on the south coast aswell, what a shame he never got a fair crack of the whip, he could have given Prost, Senna and the rest of them a real fright, and he was so cool with it, a real hero that got away in my opinion.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1477741)   #7
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does anyone know where?
Old 5 Dec 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1477849)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
II'd love to see him in GP Masters, but apparently he is very disillusioned with racing, udnerstandable really.
I've heard this, and of course he should have had better chances as a dominant driver in lower formulae, but F1 was better to him than many others - a GP debut at 19 and a one-off drive when he was still in his early twenties. There was no reason why he should not have made a decent living from the sport. One wonders whether he had too much too soon? "If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor..."
Old 6 Dec 2005, 05:42 (Ref:1477990)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was an article on him in 1997 or so in F1 Racing. Not only was he a teacher, but also a helicopter pilot, a miner, a bartender and so on. Retired from racing in 1988 I believe. I remember a few years back he drove his old F2 car at the twin ring motegi in Japan for some historic event.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1479709)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
He's righjt up there on my list of 'unfulfilled talents - those who never made it' which was the basis for as thread i started couple years ago.

In mid 80's he was rated by some as one of the top 5 drivers in the world and he wasn't even in F1!

He could get in a car at short notice, which was often the case for his last few drives like the Hotz Lola in '86 and the recalcitrant Ralt RT22 of 1988 and get on the limit of that cars' capabilities straight away.

He sufferred in '82 after a nasty F2 shunt in which he broke an ankle and/or leg and i think ge was concussed and took a long time to recover fully - that may well have hindered his progress to F1.

If it wasn't for that then it could arguably have been him winning '82 or '83 F2 title instead of the likes of Dr Palmer and he might have cemented a Williams or Tyrrell drive as a result?

Somebody somewhere is bound to come out and say he probably weasn't good enough otherwise he would have done it in the end but he was always one of the quickest and smoothest drivers at the time and miles better than a load of people who subsequently went on to achieve moderate or much success at the top.

In many ways Tom Kristensen reminds me of Mike, in terms of career path at least and also not making it to F1. The difference being is that TK has ground out a salaried career in other forms of the sport, wheras Mike just got fed up with it... how this guy was never picked up by a decent F1 team i'll never know - perhaps he's just got better in the last few years or something and by then he was considered a bit too 'old?'
Old 8 Dec 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1479725)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember seeing him at Donington in the first season of F3000. He definitely had the ability to acheive more than he did.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1487573)   #12
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he still holds the record as the youngest GP driver at the age of 19 in 1980 at the Canadian GP. He was entered in a third Tyrrell and i cant remember if he took the race or had to hand his car over. As i remember he really was the real deal just frustrated by circumstances. I don't think he has anything to do with motor sport now as you never hear of him.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1487579)   #13
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Thackwell, as the third driver, was forced to hand his car over to (I think) Jarier after a race stopping accident.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1487951)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes, that's the story Kipper.

His career was a strange case of circumstances, or lack of them.

As a fan i think he would have been up there with the top guys like Prost, Senna and Mansell in the 80's and early 90's, but the team bosses must've thought otherwise as he never got offered a proper race deal that i'm aware of?.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1488079)   #15
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes on recollection i think you are right.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1488584)   #16
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't it that Thackwell and Team mate Daly had a first lap accident,neither taking the re-start
Old 26 Dec 2005, 01:23 (Ref:1490073)   #17
mike777
Rookie

England
England
mike777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi i run mike thackwell at rushen green racing in the late 1978 when he first come over from australia, after his racing stopped he went on to work in a school then to fly helicopters, his sister did some motor racing in the late 80's or at the start of the 90's in tin tops (think she was ok).He stated with me down at thruxton at scorpion racing school in the late 1977 and moved with me to norfolk.