Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 11 Nov 2015, 07:21 (Ref:3589663)   #201
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
I wondered too. As you probably know, both practised and one crashed with minor damage. What's the bet it will have something to do with unpaid monies? I'll ask around and see what I can find out.
Pretty much this, no tyres untill 425 on friday, brake master cylinder on saturday, the guys that work on the cars have left, slow motion tkr train wreck.
Old 11 Nov 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3589784)   #202
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Pretty much this, no tyres untill 425 on friday, brake master cylinder on saturday, the guys that work on the cars have left, slow motion tkr train wreck.
Guys,

We all know DJ's history, but at the end of the day nobody can deny his passion and obsession with motor racing, quite why he does what he does nobody will probably ever know including himself I suspect.

I never though I would ever say it but I actually think, "we" NZ motor racing, would collectively be worse off if TKR was not around anymore. Its just a shame that DJ can't "lie straight in bed" as the saying goes, TKR is still a great brand, but regrettably its nearly impossible to do a deal with DJ as many of know only to well.

Just maybe the NZ Touring car format this season will play into TKR's hands as Craig Baird is still a great driver and a reverse grid is always going to favour a low budget team with a great driver.
Old 11 Nov 2015, 19:36 (Ref:3589789)   #203
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is TKR's car one of the TLX's?
Old 11 Nov 2015, 19:49 (Ref:3589792)   #204
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Is TKR's car one of the TLX's?
Bairdo's car is a V8ST, I believe it was the Andy booth car (?)
Old 11 Nov 2015, 19:57 (Ref:3589793)   #205
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Bairdo's car is a V8ST, I believe it was the Andy booth car (?)
Correct CDM, it is the ex Andy Booth V8ST car that was built by AV8 and is still owned by AV8 [Jacko Anderson] and leased to DJ/TKR. In fact it was Jacko that worked on the car last weekend and changed the set-up for the last reverse grid race on Sunday that Baird won easily and in the second best lap time of that race behind Simon Evan's. Both Evan's and Baird's car ran with brand new rear tyres for that last race, so it proves that with a good driver that car is still very competitive.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 09:35 (Ref:3592619)   #206
Blackpearl
Racer

No craig at the next round, team members have moved on due to the non money etc, normall tkr stuff
Old 23 Nov 2015, 20:27 (Ref:3592762)   #207
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
When/where is the next round? I might go since it won't be $125 for a ticket to sit on the rock hard bleachers on the hill like the V8SC.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 21:11 (Ref:3592767)   #208
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No craig at the next round, team members have moved on due to the non money etc, normall tkr stuff
I was told it was the crew that purchased the tires for the Pukekohe round - hence some of the missed practices and late appearances.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 23:41 (Ref:3592836)   #209
Racetroll
Rookie

Racetroll should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
When/where is the next round? I might go since it won't be $125 for a ticket to sit on the rock hard bleachers on the hill like the V8SC.
This weekend at Hampton Downs. Tickets available here http://www.hdticketing.co.nz/index.php/cPath/131

Not $125 either
Old 24 Nov 2015, 00:49 (Ref:3592849)   #210
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Thanks
Old 24 Nov 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3592853)   #211
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think Bairdo is Busy elsewhere this Weekend anyway
Old 29 Nov 2015, 09:36 (Ref:3594151)   #212
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
So I spent the day at Hampton Downs watching the various classes racing and generally lazing in the sun on the hill. So I will give you my impressions:

1. HD is going ahead in leaps and bounds, pit buildings are apparently only 2 weeks away from being completed (corporate suites)
2. Track extension work is progressing, but a long way to go before they have the shape laid down
3. Not many people were there
4. Parking should be included in ticket price but wasn't - annoying as I had no cash
5. Racing was generally good, TC's were good and entertaining although the pit stop in the last race was pointless and a stupid idea
6. Nick Ross is really good at passing people going backwards...
7. Simon Evans was great, Mitch Cunningham ruined a few people's days by running into them in both races, Foggy was his usual self - nice paint job though
8. The Nissan is horrible
9. I really liked the GT1/2's, but where do we get to see the IMS Audi R8's?
10. Pre-65's were good too but would prefer CMC
11. Toyota 86 has to be the single most boring class I have ever had the misfortune of having to sit through - all the flashy gear the Toyota boys have but there is no substance, all flash but no cash, big swing but no ding as they'd say in cricket. Yawn.
12. Sports cars were cool too but the guy in the Valiant Charger has no idea how to drive a race car or understand that when a quick car is coming up behind to lap you you get the f**k off the racing line not shut the door
13. Ssangyongs... everyone had left by the time their last race was on, including us - at least it's a big field. Noisy but not in a good way. Probably fun for the people driving them.
14. Generally okay show but not a patch on the NZFMR in Jan. At least the TC's provide good entertainment now, lots of passing.
Old 29 Nov 2015, 11:48 (Ref:3594170)   #213
Blackpearl
Racer

TKR rock bottom the tl driver put legal action in place to turn up this round, dot buy a ticket for his thing Jacko has a jetski and the otheir got repossed.
Old 29 Nov 2015, 19:25 (Ref:3594241)   #214
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I saw DJ there actually, he's really not a well looking man I have to say. TKR a shadow of their former selves but still out there bringing up the rear. I remember when they had Foggy and Jason Richards as drivers and Martin Collins running the show - they were a pretty good operation then and had a lot of supporters.
Old 29 Nov 2015, 22:23 (Ref:3594283)   #215
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
tl driver put legal action in place to turn up this round.
LoL.... good story, shame its not true!
Old 30 Nov 2015, 01:59 (Ref:3594349)   #216
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We enjoyed the weekend. Crowds were down on Saturday (awful weather) but Sunday had a few more. Nothing like previous events, but 'quietly confident' would be the phrase that I would apply to NZTC this weekend. I like how the category are no longer making too much reference to either TLX or SuperTourer, and just going with class 1 or class 2. Much easier for people to pick up on.

I was disappointed by the number of safety cars, and this resulted in very few actual competitive laps by the NZTC's. Talking to a number of people on the weekend, people seemed to want to see 30, or 40 lap races with these now top-tier cars. I agree with them, and when the time is right, the category should be moving to a format like this. The fast cars have air jacks, so some tyre strategies etc could really make it exciting.

Good to see Richard Moore again, and I believe he and Eddie Bell will be at the Ruapuna round as well. I hope so. We now need to see more class 1 cars out there, so class 2 doesn't have to fill the field.

Was gobsmacked with the progress in pitlane at HD. Shes' gunna be purdy that's for sure.

I had to laugh though seeing Angus and team ripping panels off their car to put them on to DJ's class 1 tourer. Angus showed great gusto with removing the TKR stickers that could be removed. And then they put everything together and went racing! DJ looked not too happy in his pit bay..... (he needs to control his eating habits....he did not look healthy at all)

I took some clients down with me on Sunday....they enjoyed it and they don't really like motorsport. So I think that's a good sign.

Bring on the South Island Rounds!
Old 30 Nov 2015, 07:17 (Ref:3594382)   #217
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the comments. Always good to hear people's opinions.

I don't think the track extension is as far away as you think. Based on how quickly the top surfaces got laid on the original track, once the prep work is done, they'll steam ahead.

The old timing box in pit lane will be gone in two weeks.

Safety cars are the bane of modern racing and I hate them! Once upon a time, you hung out waved yellows and drivers would slow down. Sadly, in recent years, too many drivers have either ignored them or not even seen them, so as it has to be safety first, safety car is out.

Remember that if you add 40 lap races, or longer races, you end up with fewer grids and that means less variety. As you probably know by now, I'm in favour of both larger grids and car variety, so as Goat Boy has noted, Toyota 86's, Ssang Yongs, Falcodore Utes etc., don't rock my boat either.

It is now no secret that the Aussie GTs will be racing at both Highlands and Hampton Downs next year. Probably the first race meeting that I haven't been involved in but looking forward to, in NZ, since about 1985!

Also looking forward to the January Festival...

Last edited by socram; 30 Nov 2015 at 07:23.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 07:28 (Ref:3594386)   #218
superstock
Rookie

New Zealand
lower hutt
superstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....but how many people knew this meeting was on....

and what passes as premier classes now .yawn

thank goodness for the big HD HISTORIC in jan

but even then the crowd is minimal

but ill be there!!
Old 30 Nov 2015, 07:29 (Ref:3594387)   #219
drftin
Rookie

drftin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
I was disappointed by the number of safety cars, and this resulted in very few actual competitive laps by the NZTC's.
was there a reason for any safety cars?
you know they come out for actual reasons other than bunching cars up or because the cars cant run a whole race on a tank of fuel?

it all does sound promising though, i'm hoping the crowds start coming back soon once they realise there is actually some decent numbers racing again
Old 30 Nov 2015, 08:39 (Ref:3594395)   #220
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
11. Toyota 86 has to be the single most boring class I have ever had the misfortune of having to sit through - all the flashy gear the Toyota boys have but there is no substance, all flash but no cash, big swing but no ding as they'd say in cricket. Yawn.
interesting... you're not the only one to say this. the class seems to lack that certain something.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 09:02 (Ref:3594398)   #221
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
LoL.... good story, shame its not true!
It is, he has no money to go down south the containers are in a freight yard unpaid for last time they went down, they only people left are people that cant go anywhere else as they dont have the skill. Believe what you want but he is out of money.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3594535)   #222
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
It is, he has no money to go down south the containers are in a freight yard unpaid for last time they went down, they only people left are people that cant go anywhere else as they dont have the skill. Believe what you want but he is out of money.
He has always been out of money though.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3594538)   #223
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftin View Post
was there a reason for any safety cars?
you know they come out for actual reasons other than bunching cars up or because the cars cant run a whole race on a tank of fuel?

it all does sound promising though, i'm hoping the crowds start coming back soon once they realise there is actually some decent numbers racing again
Let me say that I enjoyed both of the NZ Touring Cars races, they were entertaining and there was a fair bit of overtaking. Unfortunately several drivers who should know better (seemed to be the same ones) kept running into others and taking thelselves and/or the other car out, making for a safety car incident each time. Sometimes the cars were well off the racing line and I would have thought a waved yellow would have been fine.

Note that in the final race, despite a large piece of debris in the middle of the front straight by the pit entry, there were no safety cars which was good.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 20:18 (Ref:3594540)   #224
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
interesting... you're not the only one to say this. the class seems to lack that certain something.
Like most single class racing it lacks entertainment...
Old 30 Nov 2015, 20:24 (Ref:3594543)   #225
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Thanks for the comments. Always good to hear people's opinions.

I don't think the track extension is as far away as you think. Based on how quickly the top surfaces got laid on the original track, once the prep work is done, they'll steam ahead.

The old timing box in pit lane will be gone in two weeks.

Safety cars are the bane of modern racing and I hate them! Once upon a time, you hung out waved yellows and drivers would slow down. Sadly, in recent years, too many drivers have either ignored them or not even seen them, so as it has to be safety first, safety car is out.

Remember that if you add 40 lap races, or longer races, you end up with fewer grids and that means less variety. As you probably know by now, I'm in favour of both larger grids and car variety, so as Goat Boy has noted, Toyota 86's, Ssang Yongs, Falcodore Utes etc., don't rock my boat either.

It is now no secret that the Aussie GTs will be racing at both Highlands and Hampton Downs next year. Probably the first race meeting that I haven't been involved in but looking forward to, in NZ, since about 1985!

Also looking forward to the January Festival...
I noticed that in races such as the Pre-65's, Sports Cars and GT1/2's there were no incidents - people tend to look after their own property rather better than if they are driving someone else's car...

I can't wait until the Aussie GT's, or the January Festival either, it will be great to see the track then too.