Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Mar 2004, 18:23 (Ref:910996)   #1
Paul Millard
Rookie

Paul Millard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
speaking about trackside incidents? help

Recent threads have left me wondering what incidents can and can’t be discussed on public forums.

When talking on this forum about incidents witnessed on the race track what should marshals say? Should we comment on what we have seen or say nothing?

Thanks Paul
Old 19 Mar 2004, 19:31 (Ref:911075)   #2
neill
Rookie

neill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
say nothing
Old 19 Mar 2004, 20:06 (Ref:911106)   #3
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
depends on what exactly you are discussing and why
Old 19 Mar 2004, 21:20 (Ref:911159)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you are cautious - say little. If you are reckless or very, very careful about what you say; then say what you see/feel/think.

Never speak on behalf of others and always consider carefully the impact of what you say on others.

Regards

Jim
Old 19 Mar 2004, 21:37 (Ref:911170)   #5
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the best thing paul is to say nothing
u dont know u might be asking the questions
Old 19 Mar 2004, 22:07 (Ref:911193)   #6
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If in doubt don't
Old 19 Mar 2004, 22:45 (Ref:911231)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Never say anything you're not prepared to repeat in court.

If you think you might possibly have to repeat it in court, you probably shouldn't say it.

But...feel free to rip the p*** out of your fellow marshals, just so long as you're prepared for them to rip it out of you in return!
Old 19 Mar 2004, 23:01 (Ref:911248)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: speaking about trackside incidents? help

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Millard
Recent threads have left me wondering what incidents can and can’t be discussed on public forums.

When talking on this forum about incidents witnessed on the race track what should marshals say? Should we comment on what we have seen or say nothing?

Thanks Paul
SAY NOTHING!! This is an open forum and some incidents may be "sub judice" for a long time. Anything you say on an open forum may be construed as evidence and could affect the outcome of any legal proceedings. What you have to remember is who reads these forums - less trustworthy press for one.

If your incident is amusing then by all means discuss it but otherwise be like the three wise monkeys - see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Or as I would say in my native Yorkshire - when in doubt say nowt!!!

Hope this helps.

Sheila
Old 20 Mar 2004, 04:20 (Ref:911450)   #9
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be interested to know how many court cases arise from racing incidents in a season.
Anyone prepared/allowed to say, do feel free to PM me with the answer, if there is one.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 17:16 (Ref:912326)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Paul, the majority of marshals clubs do have guidelines on this in any case and we are generally asked not to publically comment on incidents we have been involved in for all the reasons mentioned above.

Always bear in mind that as a marshal, you are deemed to have an official role in any incident and as such, you need to behave in as professional and objective a manner as you possibly can.

Which pretty much brings me back to Sheila's advise - when in doubt, say nowt!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 18:10 (Ref:912437)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by johnw
I'd be interested to know how many court cases arise from racing incidents in a season.
Anyone prepared/allowed to say, do feel free to PM me with the answer, if there is one.
Not many Court cases admittedly but there are MSA Tribunals which can take some time to sort out.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 11:25 (Ref:913856)   #12
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would really love to reply, but I did'nt see this thread (?)
Old 21 Mar 2004, 22:17 (Ref:914353)   #13
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i agree with everyone else ...say nowt.
And if in swindon be carefull you never know lots of us in swindon.......
Old 22 Mar 2004, 09:01 (Ref:914761)   #14
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it a shame....:-(
Old 22 Mar 2004, 09:17 (Ref:914773)   #15
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by johnw

John I don't know the absolute answer but from the research I have done I would imagine that there are perhaps two or three incidents a year that end up being reported from the court. It does seem that track days and "private" sessions result in more claims than race meetings. However, what I have no idea about is whether more claims are made that fall by the wayside or perhaps are settled in some respect before they are reported in open court - I would imagine that a greater number of claims are started.

Litigation seems to be increasing, often brought about by insurers and for numerous reasons claims often take many years before coming to court.

As we've said on here before, all signed on officials are covered by public liability provided through the MSA.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 23:33 (Ref:915843)   #16
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the replies Sheila and Piglet.