Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 May 2007, 04:57 (Ref:1903906)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Masters Top Hat Silverstone GP 19 May

OK,

I'm entered although I haven't seen the circuit application form yet (come on Rachel!).

Anyone else entered or attending in any capacity?
Old 1 May 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1904006)   #2
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are trying to sort it out, But still waiting for parts to arrive from the states after the Castle Combe disaster, So it will be a very late entry if they allow it.
Old 1 May 2007, 20:10 (Ref:1904491)   #3
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will be there with the Corvette, Cortina and Elva.
Old 3 May 2007, 04:18 (Ref:1905524)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It,s the debut for the Mustang I,ve been involved with for the last few week,s.Richard Bull own,s it,it IS fully FIA Legal,I promise.
Old 20 May 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1917053)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well what great event. After a particularly heavy week Friday testing and Saturday’s racing finished my trip on a high. We tend to complain about Silverstone but it is one of the few circuits you can race on where the corners that are familiar become unrecognisable. Bridge when using the Interntional ciruit is flat in top. Not if you’re on the historic GP circuit though.

“A wonderful way to go club racing” was the opening comment from one gentleman (a fellow tenther) to whom I spoke at some length. And I had to agree. I was scrutineered by Brickicker and Terry Bower popped over to say hello too.

I had stonking race with Alan Daffin (mk1 Capri) David Edwards (Z28 Camaro), Paul Clayson (Sunbeam Tiger) and apart from a slight bumper rub (nobody’s fault) we all swapped places more times in that race than an entire F1 season!

At the end of the race we finished Me, Edwards, Clayson, Daffin but frankly until the last lap it could have been any order! No wins (that fell to Laurence Bailey’s Griffith overall and the very quick Z28 of Pete Hallford for the class), no prizes but the best race I’ve had for many a year. More please.

Got to give a big thanks to Masters and Top Hat for a great day out and Ken Clarke for prepping the car.

Finally another thought from my learned friend. “One thing’s for sure, Ron Dennis won’t be on the phone on Monday”. In other words enjoy the opportunity we’re being given. Again I have to agree.

BTW @ Alan you’ve just got to lose that spoiler.
Old 20 May 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1917087)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter,I really do think you should not be so NEGATIVE.It will help you a lot . But an Excellent run non the less.I thought it an pretty good day,s racing,NOT ONE RED FLAG!.Every one on the same tyres do,se work !!!!

Last edited by terence; 20 May 2007 at 09:16.
Old 20 May 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1917285)   #7
daj
Racer

I have got to disagree , We all have a view so no abuse.

I really feel something somewhere is wrong, Yesterday should of been a massive event, The chance to race on the Grand Prix circuit? How often does that happen? I am not saying the quality wasnt there...But the grids were pretty poor in quantity?

I know many old "Top hat racers" who race else where now which is such a shame as it has such potential ? I really think masters should be looking at ways of attracting more people to the events.

What is better? 15 cars at £350 or 42 cars at £200 for both drivers and spectators?

Look at the spirit of the seventies for example, With the right marketing and with the right price (cscc cars, post historic cars, ctcrc group 1 ) you should be able to fill a one off event on the Grandprix circuit, I would of thought most people would be willing to venture from there normal championships for a one off? what a great race that would be be

Going over old ground I know but after two events has anything changed from last year to warrant the £295 fee ?? I couldnt comment as in two events I havent even managed to make it to the tent so many people to see everywhere else...

Anyway like I said just my view on what I thought of yesterday, So I dont expect a hail of abuse.

Best regards

daj
Old 20 May 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1917392)   #8
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with daj, the grids were disapointing, there were not enough cars on a circuit that was to long. This should have been run on the international circuit. There may have been enough marshals to that circuit as well.
Old 20 May 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1917407)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm Pleased to see Peter had a good race and result, and That after all the troubles Roger saw the flag (black and white chequered!) in the Cortina

can't really comment on much else as I've been preparing for next weekends meeting at Brands Hatch the last few days, which, I hope, will explain why Silverstone was a meeting too many perhaps? . . . Brands is a better circuit by a country mile, and I expect/hope to see full grids throughout the weekend
Old 21 May 2007, 03:22 (Ref:1917605)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We'd all like bigger grids but I think Zef has it right though. A meeting too far?

That said, I do think the Silverstone/Brands argument is irrelevant. Both circuits have their merits. I guess like good comedy, this meeting suffered from bad timing.

Something that may reduce the seventies grids is the lack of a reasonable class structure. To have all the cars, no matter what engine size, in the same class means that, unlike the 50/60s cars, the big cars will always win. That's why the FIA/RAC created the class structures.

Good point re Roger. We were too busy to get in touch on Saturday.

Good luck at Brands Zef.
Old 21 May 2007, 06:21 (Ref:1917645)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really enjoyed it from a marshalling point of view.

I think it could of been more of an event, but some of the cars that raced I have not seen at all. And standing on the inside of Abbey as all 3 capri's come hurtling through is quite cool.

Yep grid numbers and marshal numbers could of been higher, but I bet it was bloody good fun!
Old 21 May 2007, 12:28 (Ref:1917930)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
I really feel something somewhere is wrong, Yesterday should of been a massive event, The chance to race on the Grand Prix circuit? How often does that happen? I am not saying the quality wasnt there...But the grids were pretty poor in quantity?
Agreed I'd like to see more on the track too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
I know many old "Top hat racers" who race else where now which is such a shame as it has such potential ? I really think masters should be looking at ways of attracting more people to the events.

What is better? 15 cars at £350 or 42 cars at £200 for both drivers and spectators?
Difficult to know what to do here because AFAIK all those entered weren't complaining about the cost. And to be frank the entry fees are not too bad when you look at £190.00 for a ten lapper at Mallory etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
Look at the spirit of the seventies for example, With the right marketing and with the right price (cscc cars, post historic cars, ctcrc group 1 ) you should be able to fill a one off event on the Grandprix circuit, I would of thought most people would be willing to venture from there normal championships for a one off? what a great race that would be be
Funnily enough I got a lot of questions from various people about my car and how/what to do to build one. I am concerned that the series is confusing in that it has Groups 1 and 2 in the same race so two Capris (for instance) can be vastly different in speed but look roughly the same. Likewise it is difficult for the average person to understand why an RS1600 can be so bloody quick and beat larger machinery. So a bit more info would be good. But what is the "right marketing", perhaps a suggestion to Julius because I know he wants it to succeed?

However this is a very good series and can offer racing all through the field. CTCRC cars are eligible but they race ten or eleven times each season and if you are running in a championship it would be difficult to justify these extra races. Horses for courses really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
Going over old ground I know but after two events has anything changed from last year to warrant the £295 fee ?? I couldnt comment as in two events I havent even managed to make it to the tent so many people to see everywhere else...
Yes, we got to race at silverstone on the Historic GP circuit and that for me was a fabulous opportunity. Hopefully I'll get the latest configuration of Brands on the list soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
Anyway like I said just my view on what I thought of yesterday, So I dont expect a hail of abuse.

Best regards

daj
Sorry we didn't meet up, like you I had loads of folks to see etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
I really enjoyed it from a marshalling point of view.

I think it could of been more of an event, but some of the cars that raced I have not seen at all. And standing on the inside of Abbey as all 3 capri's come hurtling through is quite cool.

Yep grid numbers and marshal numbers could of been higher, but I bet it was bloody good fun!
Glad you liked it and yes for me it was seriously great fun.

It was a closed meeting (in other words if you knew about it you could spectate for free), so no possibility for a "festival" event I'm afraid. But we all got a pat on the back from the CoC for clean racing, which in turn will no doubt be made public and will attract more drivers. Perhaps Masters could consider bringing in their other series to make it a complete Masters/Top Hat weekend? That would be something special.
Old 21 May 2007, 14:13 (Ref:1918024)   #13
daj
Racer

Quote:
Sorry we didn't meet up, like you I had loads of folks to see etc.
We did kind of meet Peter, I was the grumpy looking one eating the cheeseburger in your garage talking to your mechanic when you came over sorting out the cars problems but it didnt look like a good time for introductions

Also I was in the 2002 having troubles that you followed in practice before shooting off into the sunset and me exploding again !!! ooohh the joys of Motorsport
Old 21 May 2007, 14:19 (Ref:1918030)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any pics anybody, or links to some?
Old 21 May 2007, 15:06 (Ref:1918078)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sorry daj,

As you saw we had a bit of an issue too. The water pump packed up, but Ken cobbled something together and we got out.

You might talk to him to see if he can solve your woes.
Old 21 May 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1918257)   #16
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see both sides here. I think it was somewhat of a lost opportunity for Top Hat / Masters as some of the grids could perhaps have been fuller. I also think its a pity to have such a wonderful day of racing with nobody watching. Perhaps it was an issue of timing between other events or perhaps it wasn’t one on everyone’s calendar. I think it should be (and would recommend it is) if they run it again in 2008 – what an incredible privilege to run on the full GP circuit for 30-45 minutes at a time!

I thoroughly enjoyed the on-track action and rate it as one of my best so far of the year on a personal level.

I was out first in my new Elva (second time out) and it had arrived at the circuit minus a starter motor - whoops! A mad panic trying to fit anything resembling a starter failed so I was told to get out for qualifying using a bump start and not to stall it! An interesting concept with a binary clutch that’s either on or off! All went well and the car felt great. I was very happy to qualify 4th on the grid. For the race I got off to a decent start and pretty much ran in 3rd or 4th most of the race. I had a great dice with a Chevron B8 for much of the race and we traded positions a couple of times but he had much more pace in a straight line than me and whenever I got past he managed to claw it back under power. I finished a credible 4th (I think I was the smallest engine out there by a long shot at 1558cc!) and the car felt great. I’m looking forward to getting the hang of it even more as I get more seat time.

The race finished and I was literally raced across to the assembly area for the start of the formation lap for the Top Hat Saloons race in the Cortina. I made a very late entry into the grid but in time for the green flag lap. A good start down the inside from 10th on the grid had me up to about 6th but the V8s have too much grunt in a straight line at a place like Silverstone and they were much quicker whereas I had the measure of them under braking and through the twisty bits. Then on lap 6 or so I see a flag and my number showing. I come into the pits to be told I’m dropping something from the back of my car and they want to inspect. It seemed to take ages for them to give me the all clear and by the time I got back out I had lost at least a lap. Frustrating! I managed to make up a few spots and the car ran very well so a good result in the end with a 13th place but without the huge delay while the marshalls checked the car I reckon 8th or 9th was on the cards. Never mind.

Both races had some great racing and the circuit is just incredible. I would highly recommend everyone to put this event as a high priority for the 2008 season!

Nobody seems to have mentioned the issue with timing where one of the F1 teams had been testing during the week and took out all the timing loops. Well done to the clever people from MST who managed to use old fashioned stop watches for qualifying and get the system working for the races.

Next outing at Brands this weekend (my Aeroflot air miles are really stacking up!). The Corvette is not ready for its next event due to a number of significant issues to be resolved and a shortage of time so it’s the Elva and Cortina for this weekend but the benefit of a double banger (hopefully no pun there) for the Cortina with Masters Saloons and U2TC.

See you all at Brands and please come and say hi!

Roger
Old 21 May 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1918326)   #17
Alan Daffin
Rookie

United Kingdom
Alan Daffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Peter, may i say what a good fight you put up and how much i enjoyed it.
I will gladly remove my 2" chin spoiler when everybody is on the correct tyres and we dont have to race against kit cars on yokis.
Thanks for a great battle, Alan.
Old 21 May 2007, 20:30 (Ref:1918354)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thank you both for the entertainment!
Old 22 May 2007, 03:18 (Ref:1918472)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Daffin
when everybody is on the correct tyres and we dont have to race against kit cars on yokis.
Good point, but all the touring cars were on the correct tyres weren't they?

The Cloth Cap cafs can run on the tyres they use in their own series.

However that gets messy because whilst we are told that these cars are invitees, the overall winner is likely to come from this group.

Putting 250bhp 900kg sportscars on Yokis out with 180bhp 1060kg (in my case) Touring cars on Dunlops will always favour the lighter car.

Answer? Get more touring cars out there.
Old 22 May 2007, 08:20 (Ref:1918544)   #20
Alan Daffin
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hi Peter,
The whole point about tyres should be that as Dunlop is one of the main sponsors, then surely Masters should not allow any other make!!!
Old 22 May 2007, 08:35 (Ref:1918553)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I agree and this was raised with the technical scrute but we were told that as invitees they can run what they like. There were other reasons put forward too.

I'd like to think that we all have the ability to win a race but if we are not competing on a level playing field, as afar as tyres are concerned, it is a little discouraging.

I really do hope the organisers can resolve this and encourage more cars out (I'm told there are loads of 3.0CSLs being built). One possibility could be to run the touring cars on slicks. These are period correct tyres and sets the class apart from the other classes.
Old 22 May 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1918805)   #22
Alan Daffin
Rookie

United Kingdom
Slicks, wow that would sort the job out!! would be down to sheer talent then, what a good idea.
Old 22 May 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1918837)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Daffin
Slicks, wow that would sort the job out!! would be down to sheer talent then, what a good idea.
Hmm,

Not sure it would make any difference in terms of those that can race,

My poont was more one of separating the class from other classes. Also it may attract more CTCRC cars because the chances to run on slicks are limited these days.

I suspect you and I would still squabble though. On and off the track.

Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

The Faberge car looks great. You did a good job there. Don't let the owner bend it.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic