Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: How did you start marshalling
Through a friend 19 30.65%
Through a Motorsport interest 26 41.94%
Internet 4 6.45%
Other 13 20.97%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:53 (Ref:856416)   #1
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So how did you start?

:confused: I'm sitting here on a day off from work wondering have many people came to start in Marshalling? I was one of those mad people that saw it mentioned on the BRDC website and continued from there, so how did you start?:confused:
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:32 (Ref:856451)   #2
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend (well, brother in law) was marshaling at rallycross events and in 1981 (I think) asked me to come along. Twenty plus years later and I'm still at it, doing circuit and rallycross events. He has sensibly taken up golf...
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:51 (Ref:856467)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I was lucky to have a friend who used to have a contractors pass to Brands Hatch which I used to borrow if he wasn't using it. Then one day while preusing the programme I saw an advert for marshals by the BRSCC. The rest as they say.....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 14:06 (Ref:856478)   #4
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had been marshalling in the forests for a few years, then during a stage of the '92 RAC Rally, I got talking to a bloke dressed in orange.

After talking to him for a while, he gave me the contact details for my regional chairman.

He lived in the next street, so I paid him a visit.

And the rest is history
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:34 (Ref:856581)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i picked up a leaflet at an amoc raceday at donington...
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:09 (Ref:856618)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
North Staffordshire
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I picked up a silverstone handbook at the Autosport show in 1994 and on the back page (where else?) was a contact for marshalling!

I chose the BMRMC opposed to the BRDCMC and was accepted by a guy called Trevor Foster of the Midlands region.
My first event was at Donny at easter 1994 in the snow on post 25.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:14 (Ref:856624)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Heard an announcement at Mondello and showed up for a training session.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:24 (Ref:856644)   #8
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
17 years ago - watching the rallycross at Lydden thinking "I can't afford to race, but I could afford to do the marshalling thing"
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:35 (Ref:856655)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My father has been a motorsport journalist since I was born. Remember having family picnics at the Mallory Park fun-fair. Used to walk around with a press pass on!! (age 9).
Many years later took up an offer of some free tickets to Prescott Hillclimb and saw the advert for marshals. Joined them the next year, 1986. They still haven't revoked my membership so I still keep going !!!! (plus all the other events).
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:54 (Ref:856680)   #10
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
bloody hell stu...didnt think racin had been around for that long lol.....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:54 (Ref:856682)   #11
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An uncle in South Wales said that there'd been an article on the local news asking for people to act as marshals on the Network Q rally. I was travelling down there anyway, so thought I'd give it a try. Enjoyed it, came home to search for more details, joined BARC, went to Thruxton training and started circuit marshalling at Donington a few months later. That was 6 years ago.

Al.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:09 (Ref:856691)   #12
Don Truman
Rookie

Don Truman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1959 the cascades at oulton- it rained stair rods all day-after 10 hours of this with no lunch break I thought "if you can stand that-you had better be a marshal" That began a beautiful relationship!!!
Don Truman
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:12 (Ref:856698)   #13
CookieMonster
Rookie

Wales
Manchester
CookieMonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to the BTCC race at Donington in 2001, the weekend I moved up to Nottingham to start Uni, and picked up a leaflet.
It pnly seems like yesterday - can't believe I'm going to be graduating in just 4 months!!!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 19:35 (Ref:856872)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spectated RAC rally in 1983, then started circuits, then hillclimbs. Joined the MAC becasues it was cheaper than paying for all the events. They wanted marshals for the rally, so marshalled that in '86, then did sprints and hillclimbs and on to circuits from '88. So 'converted spectator' would be my vote.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 19:40 (Ref:856875)   #15
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spent a season sitting at Quarry Corner at Castle Combe back in 1994. Oddly enough, it was watching certain orange bods cement dusting that made me think "I want to get involved in that". Oh the irony!