Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 15 Oct 2020, 08:26 (Ref:4010784)   #276
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Bottas is safe as long as Hamilton is still in the team. What has to be remembered is that Hamilton combined with Mercedes has built a brand image and no one including Liberty want to see that end. To have the 2nd driver whoever that might be beating Hamilton would destroy the brand's value. It is most probably the first time a driver has deliberately taken this approach and the team has actively supported it. You are watching marketing 101 at its best.
Old 15 Oct 2020, 21:49 (Ref:4010889)   #277
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I think Bottas is safe as long as Hamilton is still in the team. What has to be remembered is that Hamilton combined with Mercedes has built a brand image and no one including Liberty want to see that end. To have the 2nd driver whoever that might be beating Hamilton would destroy the brand's value. It is most probably the first time a driver has deliberately taken this approach and the team has actively supported it. You are watching marketing 101 at its best.
Really? So Lewis' image is more important to Merc than his performance.
I suspect Liberty like the Daimler board are only interested in Lewis the driver. As long as he keeps winning the non racing nonsense will be tolerated upto a point.
Old 15 Oct 2020, 22:01 (Ref:4010892)   #278
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Really? So Lewis' image is more important to Merc than his performance.
I suspect Liberty like the Daimler board are only interested in Lewis the driver. As long as he keeps winning the non racing nonsense will be tolerated upto a point.
I happen to think you are wrong. I will predict that LH remains part of mercedes marketing and possibly the racing team as well long after he stops racing.
Old 15 Oct 2020, 22:09 (Ref:4010894)   #279
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Leaving the Verstappen-Leclerc hypotheticals to one side,
Verstappen-Leclerc is not practical, however if Mercedes continue to refuse to promote Russell than Red Bull could swoop in and snap up Russell for the 2022 season! Verstappen-Russell would be a very solid lineup IMO.
Old 16 Oct 2020, 01:41 (Ref:4010914)   #280
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I happen to think you are wrong. I will predict that LH remains part of mercedes marketing and possibly the racing team as well long after he stops racing.
I would imagine so.

As for chunterer’s point. It’s very unlikely that Mercedes are prioritizing image over results.

But you can’t tell because he’s pummeling everyone with the results.

Old 16 Oct 2020, 08:10 (Ref:4010944)   #281
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I seriously doubt image comes into the minds of Merc, results will speak for themselves
Old 16 Oct 2020, 09:02 (Ref:4010957)   #282
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m sure it does, the marketing lot will grab hold of it, but after they’ve got someone who’s giving them the best chance of winning the GP. If they happen to align with certain values then they’ll grab hold of that. Of course.

I suppose if you went to the extreme the other way and a driver was way off acceptability it might mean you don’t get a drive. No matter how good they are if they go round kicking puppies then they ain’t getting a drive.

So marketing the image won’t be the driver, far from it, but it is part of the equation. Results carry by far the biggest weighting though.
Old 16 Oct 2020, 09:32 (Ref:4010963)   #283
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton would hardly be marketable without results. To use an example more related to the thread topic, Max Verstappen is earning himself quite the reputation outside the hardcore F1 fanbase, whereas Alex Albon is rather anonymous.
Old 16 Oct 2020, 11:32 (Ref:4010986)   #284
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Exactly.
Old 16 Oct 2020, 19:59 (Ref:4011065)   #285
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I seriously doubt image comes into the minds of Merc, results will speak for themselves
I doubt they would spend hundreds of millions on anything other than their image, else why would they bother?
Old 16 Oct 2020, 23:25 (Ref:4011079)   #286
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well, obviously, the whole exercise is to get their name around and be seen in a positive light.

But that just seems like easy point scoring as surely it is obvious that SG was referring to specifically the Hamilton bit. It was clearly a reference to whether the overall goal is fulfilled better by prioritizing talent or image in the driver.
Old 16 Oct 2020, 23:28 (Ref:4011080)   #287
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’m sure it does, the marketing lot will grab hold of it, but after they’ve got someone who’s giving them the best chance of winning the GP. If they happen to align with certain values then they’ll grab hold of that. Of course.
Exactly so why would MB want a second driver upsetting the apple cart they have created by beating Hamilton on a regular basis. I think they learned their lesson when Rosberg won the WDC and then compounded it by kicking dirt in their face by leaving giving them no opportunity to build on his being WDC.

Hamilton either worked out what creating a brand means or someone pointed it out to him and he has been doing that ever since and MB have gone along for the ride.
Old 16 Oct 2020, 23:45 (Ref:4011082)   #288
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I think everyone ascribes far more credit or envisions some much greater master plan than is actually happening.

These things are far more likely to have just happened and people have gone along for the ride taking advantage when they can.
Old 16 Oct 2020, 23:52 (Ref:4011085)   #289
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it would have been really helpful to this debate if Rosberg didnt retire.

But if Nico stayed after winning, im not entirely sure Merc would have favoured LH outright in 2017. They would have probably been destroyed by the press and fan base had they done so.

Would it be fair to say LH caught a massive break with Nico's retirement?

*Should have put that in the goat thread.
Old 17 Oct 2020, 03:16 (Ref:4011096)   #290
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think everyone ascribes far more credit or envisions some much greater master plan than is actually happening.

These things are far more likely to have just happened and people have gone along for the ride taking advantage when they can.
I totally agree and when they saw what was happening it was actively pursued by both parties.
Old 17 Oct 2020, 03:17 (Ref:4011097)   #291
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
it would have been really helpful to this debate if Rosberg didnt retire.

But if Nico stayed after winning, im not entirely sure Merc would have favoured LH outright in 2017. They would have probably been destroyed by the press and fan base had they done so.

*Should have put that in the goat thread.
Yes any further discussion should be there.
Old 17 Oct 2020, 13:21 (Ref:4011144)   #292
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Yes.
Old 17 Oct 2020, 14:39 (Ref:4011154)   #293
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes, Rosberg was better than Bottas is.
Old 21 Oct 2020, 08:40 (Ref:4011762)   #294
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I don't think I missed a point.

If the second Red Bull driver is a threat by putting him on a different strategy to Hamilton/Verstappen, Mercedes will react by countering that with Bottas.
It's not as simple as that. The mere existence of a 2nd car within the pitwindow of the competitors car, strongly limits strategic options. Undercutting behind a competitors cars is very risky.

Also pincher moves from a competitors 2nd car can be counteracted with your own 2nd car if it's within the pitwindow.

With just one car inside of your competitors pit window, you're always at a disadvantage.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 21 Oct 2020, 10:29 (Ref:4011781)   #295
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
It's not as simple as that. The mere existence of a 2nd car within the pitwindow of the competitors car, strongly limits strategic options. Undercutting behind a competitors cars is very risky.

Also pincher moves from a competitors 2nd car can be counteracted with your own 2nd car if it's within the pitwindow.

With just one car inside of your competitors pit window, you're always at a disadvantage.
I know, but people seem to think having a stronger 2nd driver will give Verstappen more points.
That is not necessarily true.

If Red Bull #2 (whoever that is) is in a good postition and put on an alternative strategy that is a danger to a Mercedses win, Mercedes will use one of its own driver to cover/counter that and keep the other one on Verstappen's strategy.

That alone may give Verstappen more points because Bottas (let's asume it's him) is now out of his way.
But just how many times Verstappen finished 2nd anaway, so how many more points would give him that?

It may also cost Verstappen points. If the alternative strategy works, Red Bull #2 and Mercedes #2 may end up in front of Verstappen too.

A competitive Red Bull #2 will give Red Bull more points, but not necessarey give the advantage to Verstappen that some think it will.
That too is not simple as that
Old 21 Oct 2020, 11:51 (Ref:4011802)   #296
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They might need a good back up should Max be in title contention. Which is probably why they are looking at Hulk
Old 25 Oct 2020, 15:32 (Ref:4012899)   #297
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not very good again today, outside of the points and lapped by Max for the 2nd time this season.

I don't think he can survive at this point
Old 25 Oct 2020, 15:49 (Ref:4012904)   #298
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Even Vettel got past him.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 16:05 (Ref:4012907)   #299
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They were racing him too hard.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 18:25 (Ref:4012947)   #300
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Red Bull can continue to keep faith in Albon after today? I do not know. He and Kvyat have had their chance as far as I'm concerned.
Closed Thread