Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2000, 18:23 (Ref:1537)   #1
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I want to stay in F1 but things have to get better for me to have a chance. No disrespect, but I won't go to Minardi."
Old 25 May 2000, 18:27 (Ref:1538)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, I read that.

He's got a point. But would Minardi have him? (Before irate Minardi Fan and Tristan get here )

There was also another point made which repeats what I've said in this forum. He regularly beat Alex Zanardi when they were team mates.

If he goes to Cart, I hope he shows em what's what.

If he retires I will just say thanks for all the fun.

Oh and lest we forget. He showed Barrichello how to win as well. Pity RB wasn't watching.
Old 25 May 2000, 18:34 (Ref:1539)   #3
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Maybe he should think about going into cart racing. I saw him at the Jason Watt charity carting event and he was fantastic. Only Lewis Hamilton could beat him for lap times - quite amazing.
Old 25 May 2000, 19:16 (Ref:1540)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about a nice big, bruiser of a sports car for our Johnny.

It hasn't done JJ Lehto or Allan McNish any harm playing amongst the closed wheelers for a time.

Can't you just see him in a BMW V12, or an Audi R8 or even - whisper it - a Panoz.

Actually, if it's a Panoz, better not whisper it. No one will hear.
Old 25 May 2000, 19:48 (Ref:1541)   #5
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Francesca, JH is already heavily involved with Karting in the UK, just as MS is in Germany.

He is a major shareholder of Buckmore Park Karting Centre, one of the largest outdoor kart tracks in the country. He came from karting pretty much as Jenson Button did.
Old 25 May 2000, 20:42 (Ref:1542)   #6
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is he a shareholder at Buckmore ? Cool - I don't mind them having my money so much now! I thought that Bill Sisley (Tom's dad) owned it outright ?

About Johnny - sadly I think it's near the end of his F1 career. However, i'd love to see him in CART (if Eurosport would do us the honour of showing CART again ) Or, as Timmybloke says, ALMS. Now, that would be cool! Didn't he already win Le Mans for Mazda (and wasn't Irv his team mate ?) or am I mad ?
Old 25 May 2000, 20:56 (Ref:1543)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Right, the gloves are off; here we go....!

SHUT YER FACE YOU STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID LITTLE MAN!! WHAT THE ****'S WRONG WITH MINARDI? EXPLAIN YOURSELF, YOU PATHETIC LITTLE MONSTER!! BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I ACTUALLY HAD SOME RESPECT FOR YOU, DESPITE YOU SHOCKING PERFORMANCE OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS. WELL, ******** TO THAT!! DON'T BE SO ****ING OFENSIVE! FERRARI ENGINES NEXT YEAR: WE DON'T NEED YOU. SHUT YOUR EGOTISTICAL SNOBBISH WART OF A FACE AND GET SOME RESPECT. AT LEAST MINARDI ARE AT THE BACK OF THE GRID DUE TO QUITE SIMPLY MINISCULE FUNDING, INSTEAD OF YOU IN YOUR FLASH WORKS FORD WITH POTENTIALLY INFINITE CASH. JAGUAR HAS NO F1 HERITAGE OR PEDIGREE, REMBER. MINARDI HAS. PONCE.
Old 25 May 2000, 20:58 (Ref:1544)   #8
Tristan
Veteran

Actually, I lie. I too will miss you, and actually you're not a bad driver. But just don't be so god damn patronising.
Old 25 May 2000, 21:49 (Ref:1545)   #9
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Actually the karting idea was a joke (don't worry it's nearly the weekend). I do like JH and wish the best for him. He dreams of winning the Indy 500 so I hope he goes for it.
Old 26 May 2000, 00:12 (Ref:1546)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see Johnny partner Moreno at Patrick Racing - or take over at PacWest and race with Blundell (does ANYONE think Big Mo belongs in racing any more?) if Fernandez stays at Patrick.

But I don't think Johnny has a lot of choices if he really wants to stay in racing.
Old 26 May 2000, 00:26 (Ref:1547)   #11
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame Johnny hasn't been on the pace this year, he showed towards the end of last year that he can be faster than Barrichello. So I was counting on Johnny to be almost as fast as Eddie. I too hope he goes to Cart before retiring, he would among the fastest no doubt.

BTW Tristan, are you 7 years old?
Old 26 May 2000, 00:28 (Ref:1548)   #12
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see Johnny Herbert working at my local motor parts store.
He probably would be just as uninterested in being there as the current staff, he might actually know the difference between a brake disc and a spark plug, he still wouldn't get the part numbers right, but he'd be a darn sight more interesting to talk to while the right parts are found.

And just imagine if they let him do the deliveries! Cool! His own diesel Astravan!
Old 26 May 2000, 03:20 (Ref:1549)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aw shucks, the one guy I still really care about.Its been a sad road for him; three wins are better than non but I'll always wonder what could have been if he hadn't had that dreadful crash.

Here's to Johnny, and yes I would hope he'd clean up in CART, but I suspect that its the end of the line
Old 26 May 2000, 07:33 (Ref:1550)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it would be a bad move for Jonny to go to Cart racing, if only for his own safety.

Have any of you read the Christopher Hilton book about Jonny, which goes from his Karting days to F1 with Sauber.

The pain and suffering he had from the F3000 crash was more than anyone could imagine and I don't think his feet would stand many 'hits' on those oval walls. Just about everyone in Cart hits the wall at some, so its inevitable that Jonny will as well.

I have a lot of respect for Jonny, but you have to say that he brings bad luck with him like a suitcase. In the last few years team owners have effectively run a one car team as Jonny's cars has spent more time being fixed than racing....Whatever move he makes to whichever team its still the same -'Unlucky Jonny Herbert 19th on the grid' or whatever.

Give it up Jonny you've had a good run, yes it might have been better without his F3000 crash - I think retirement is due..
Old 26 May 2000, 12:32 (Ref:1551)   #15
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JOHNNY! I'M BASICALLY GOING TO SAY THE SAME AS TRISTAN - SO I'LL SAVE MYSELF THE VIRTUAL SORE THROAT.

As much as I like him, what he said was not really on, and unfortunately I think it finally is the end of his F1 days.

PETRONAS ENGINES TO MINARDI IN 2001. YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE.

Actually it's highly likely. Sauber are said to be interested in the ex-Peugeout engines being built by some Japanese firm. If Minardi don't get them (they are the favourites) then Sauber will, which will leave the Petronas engines floating about waiting to sit in the back of next year's Minardi.

Hallelujah...!

Old 26 May 2000, 19:30 (Ref:1552)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He could have said Andrea Moda but they went bang years ago. Lighten up MF before you start to get realllllly tedious.

Remember you like the underdog and thats what JH has always been. Sadly nobody remembers the times he outqualified AZ, MH and his other team mates.
Old 26 May 2000, 20:17 (Ref:1553)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree Peter.

When a driver is only noted for what he used to do or might have done, its time for the brown envelope.
Old 26 May 2000, 20:58 (Ref:1554)   #18
Tristan
Veteran

Al: no, but I know I sound like it! It's fun.

Re: CART prospects, I have to agree with Super T. I'm not convinced it would be such a good idea. What about sports cars instead?