Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 May 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3737345)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There is now way you can compare Stroll to Diniz and yes because Stroll actually won a junior title. Maybe you can compare him to Klien, a talented driver thrown in at the deep end before he was ready. Problem is, if Max can make the jump, people will think why not others? At least Williams are now justified in bringing Felipe back
Old 30 May 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3737353)   #102
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There is now way you can compare Stroll to Diniz and yes because Stroll actually won a junior title. Maybe you can compare him to Klien, a talented driver thrown in at the deep end before he was ready. Problem is, if Max can make the jump, people will think why not others? At least Williams are now justified in bringing Felipe back
Max was helped by two things.

First, he entered at a time when the cars were pretty easy to drive, in many ways. The most difficult aspect of the cars last year were all the buttons and mechanisms you had to learn, but that's nothing that couldn't be sorted out with long hours at the factory and good coaching. In 2017, the performance gap between F1 and any junior category is huge once again and the drivers have to be athletes - I think the days of a teenager hopping into an F1 car from F3 or whatever and being on the pace straight away are over.

Second, my gut instinct tells me that Max is the path to greatness, and has that super-human it that separates the great drivers like him from the extremely good ones. You can throw anything at a driver like that, and they'll learn.

TL;DR - I think even very good young drivers will look out of their depth thrown into a 2017 F1 car before they're ready, especially in a grid littered with decades of experience.
Old 31 May 2017, 07:07 (Ref:3737571)   #103
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8k-D9-AZoo

Interesting to see that a 1994 car had more cornering speed than a 2017 one.
Old 31 May 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3737616)   #104
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
Traction control would help for sure.
Old 31 May 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3737641)   #105
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Max was helped by two things.

First, he entered at a time when the cars were pretty easy to drive, in many ways. The most difficult aspect of the cars last year were all the buttons and mechanisms you had to learn, but that's nothing that couldn't be sorted out with long hours at the factory and good coaching. In 2017, the performance gap between F1 and any junior category is huge once again and the drivers have to be athletes - I think the days of a teenager hopping into an F1 car from F3 or whatever and being on the pace straight away are over.

Second, my gut instinct tells me that Max is the path to greatness, and has that super-human it that separates the great drivers like him from the extremely good ones. You can throw anything at a driver like that, and they'll learn.

TL;DR - I think even very good young drivers will look out of their depth thrown into a 2017 F1 car before they're ready, especially in a grid littered with decades of experience.
Yes, I think that's the main thing, the cars are more difficult than they were, so experience counts more than anything
Old 31 May 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3737676)   #106
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8k-D9-AZoo

In 1994 the cars were 200 kgs of useless junk lighter.

Pretty sure that the modern cars are running de facto traction control through the KERS system.
Old 31 May 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3737684)   #107
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Pretty sure that the modern cars are running de facto traction control through the KERS system.
So did Michael in 1994. #option13 #neverforget
Old 31 May 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3737690)   #108
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
So did Michael in 1994. #option13 #neverforget
Benetton and launch control.
Old 31 May 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3737699)   #109
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Benetton and launch control.
Which is a traction control, remember what Ayrton said about the flat engine note of Michaels car coming out of the corners.
Old 31 May 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3737701)   #110
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Which is a traction control, remember what Ayrton said about the flat engine note of Michaels car coming out of the corners.
I remember it well.
Old 31 May 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3737718)   #111
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really good race summary by Karun Chandhok. video is a bit long and while he acknowledges that the race wasnt the best, its still a good summary. made the weekend seem far more eventful then what came across on the TV.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...aco-grand-prix

one point he briefly addresses is that Merc had an extra day to think about things and they still couldnt find the right operating window for LH but then he goes on to talk about just how impressive VB's quali lap was....food for thought imo!
Old 31 May 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3737727)   #112
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
really good race summary by Karun Chandhok. video is a bit long and while he acknowledges that the race wasnt the best, its still a good summary. made the weekend seem far more eventful then what came across on the TV.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...aco-grand-prix

one point he briefly addresses is that Merc had an extra day to think about things and they still couldnt find the right operating window for LH but then he goes on to talk about just how impressive VB's quali lap was....food for thought imo!
Chandhok's excellent. So much more informative than many of his peers in the media.
Old 31 May 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3737733)   #113
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he really is.

lots of good insight and avoids the sensationalist musings that the other ex driver/owner types resort to.

just need to remember to watch his reports more often!
Old 1 Jun 2017, 07:11 (Ref:3737878)   #114
S griffin
Veteran

He ain't nicknamed Karunpedia for nothing
Old 1 Jun 2017, 08:06 (Ref:3737885)   #115
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm pretty sure teams are "faking" traction control via some technical means.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3738057)   #116
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Video

Monaco 2017 onboard. WOW! Much respect to all the drivers.

Best to watch in fullscreen mode.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4am7HmuQNY&list[/YT]
Old 2 Jun 2017, 06:34 (Ref:3738058)   #117
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Video

Monaco 2017. The directors cut.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...naco_2017.html
Old 3 Jun 2017, 08:51 (Ref:3738288)   #118
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
You want me to watch it again.........?
Old 3 Jun 2017, 08:52 (Ref:3738289)   #119
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Chandhok's excellent. So much more informative than many of his peers in the media.
Agreed. He knows what he's talking about.
Old 3 Jun 2017, 20:43 (Ref:3738422)   #120
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Monaco 2017 onboard. WOW! Much respect to all the drivers.

Best to watch in fullscreen mode.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4am7HmuQNY&list[/YT]
With fixed link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4am7HmuQNY

Richard
Old 10 Jun 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3739885)   #121
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Wow! F1 release footage from the drivers briefing in Monaco. This hasn't happened for a looooong time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C9hOtchZD8
Old 10 Jun 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3739951)   #122
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
good stuff. thanks for sharing that
Old 10 Jun 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3740044)   #123
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
good stuff. thanks for sharing that
I agree with having a wall instead of the yellow trampoline.