Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jul 2013, 09:24 (Ref:3275295)   #1
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber F1 in trouble

After chief designer Matt Morris left the team and joined McLaren recently, there's now talk that Sauber F1 are not paying their bills.

http://www.f1zone.net/news/sauber-ad...ng-paid/19691/

And in the last hour or so, news that Hulkenberg's contract has been terminated.

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/07813

Russia to the rescue??

http://www.f1zone.net/news/russian-b...-sauber/19675/
Old 8 Jul 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3275360)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post

And in the last hour or so, news that Hulkenberg's contract has been terminated.
That's not actually what it says. It says that he his free to leave Sauber with immediate effect. He's unlikely to do that unless Ferrari have had enough of Massa's driving errors and want someone who is actually a much better driver in its #2 car. At least Hulkenburg is free to go where he wants at the end of this season.

I should also say that, because of next seasons rule changes, there may be one or two other teams that are also having some problems with cash flow.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3275365)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Released not terminated is the important part, as there would likely be a termination fee written into his contract which Sauber wouldn't want to have to pay.

Releasing him, means that they can replace him with a pay driver if they so wish, or rather replace him with whom ever the new sponsor so wishes.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3275374)   #4
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds to me more like there was an option in the contract that would keep him with the team if they met certain performance goals and that as they have not done so the option cannot be exercised.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3275383)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
those sources are a bit ropey. i'd be curious to know if any of them have a direct presence at the races or whether they just pick up on second hand rumour.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3275393)   #6
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On yesterday's BBC telecast, Ben Edwards claimed that Hulkenberg hadn't been paid by Sauber so that may be the reason Hulkenberg and his management triggered a contract termination... or as has been said... place both parties in the position of free agents.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 14:44 (Ref:3275408)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if true, unfortunate for the Hulk who in hindsight has not been at all successful in the choices he has made in his F1 career.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3275439)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I do hope nothing comes of this. Sauber are a solid team, albeit struggling this year.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3275443)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, Hulk deserves better.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3275603)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sauber were obviously heavily reliant on the money Perez brought in. Oh dear.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3275679)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
those sources are a bit ropey. i'd be curious to know if any of them have a direct presence at the races or whether they just pick up on second hand rumour.
yes..........
Old 9 Jul 2013, 07:35 (Ref:3275737)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Unless a team is one of the manufacturer teams, (or Red Bull!!) where everything is bankrollled to a large extent, any other teams are seemingly always one main sponsor deal away from disaster?

It is so tough to run an outfit let alone be competitive. I really don't know how Marussia are surviving either.

We don't want to see teams in trouble or end up with multi car grandees ruling the roost
Old 9 Jul 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3275755)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Unless a team is one of the manufacturer teams, (or Red Bull!!) where everything is bankrollled to a large extent, any other teams are seemingly always one main sponsor deal away from disaster?

It is so tough to run an outfit let alone be competitive. I really don't know how Marussia are surviving either.

We don't want to see teams in trouble or end up with multi car grandees ruling the roost
An emerging and growing problem seems to be the "grandee" teams poaching other peoples employees.
When you think that there are only 11 teams in F1, there is not a lot of room to lose any of them!
Old 9 Jul 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3275805)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
poaching employees has always happened though. that's just how life works. the reason why we're all noticing now is the increased media coverage.

i thought much of the money perez brought in (ie the telmex related stuff) has passed to gutierrez?

i still think hulkenberg was right to leave force india. there's clearly more to it than simply better opportunities to win elsewhere. but those suggesting moving to sauber was The Worst Thing ever are being a bit dramatic. i think he'll be around for a while yet. he's not disgracing himself on the track, flouncing around in the paddock sulking at the media, or anything like that. so if anything, this is proving an excellent shop window for his abilities and conduct.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3275809)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are two top seats about to open up, I still think Hulkenberg will be top of the list to fill one of them.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 10:30 (Ref:3275816)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
i still think hulkenberg was right to leave force india. there's clearly more to it than simply better opportunities to win elsewhere. but those suggesting moving to sauber was The Worst Thing ever are being a bit dramatic. i think he'll be around for a while yet. he's not disgracing himself on the track, flouncing around in the paddock sulking at the media, or anything like that. so if anything, this is proving an excellent shop window for his abilities and conduct.
I'm not sure he was right to leave FI but I agree he'll be around for a while yet. He's got a decent shout of a Lotus drive next season (even if Kimi stays), there's a Ferrari seat that could be available too. His biggest problem in securing a seat is that he doesn't bring money so he's got to be looking at the front end of the grid as his only options - and they're obviously the seats everyone wants.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3275822)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
at least he's a strong candidate for those though - he hasn't really done anything to say otherwise in the few years that he's been in f1. he's not like grosjean or maldonado who come with significant "yeah, but" clauses to their talent, he's pretty low risk.

regarding not bringing money, his management has changed since he said he wasn't ever going to bring any personal sponsors, ever. in his defence, he spent his junior years under the wing of willi weber (who blatently sock puppeted that particular comment), and having the very best drives available sorted out for him without an issue so his reality perception on the sponsor front is a long way off still.

regarding force india... personally, working with di resta would do my head in, he's just so... negative. we've all got one of those in our office. and if you haven't, it's you have they not cocked up the strategy frequently this season too?
Old 9 Jul 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3275829)   #18
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will the Ferrari seat really be aviable ?
I'm more and more convinced that they'll retain Massa until Alonso leaves to keep him happy.

I would like to see Hulk there tho, don't think he deserves to be jumping from a struggling team to another.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3275847)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
.. personally, working with di resta would do my head in, he's just so... negative.
As Sniff Petrol put it:

"Force India will not run KERS on Paul di Resta’s car this season, preferring to use a unique hybrid system that harnesses the pure power of Scottish misery."

Quote:
have they not cocked up the strategy frequently this season too?
Yep. More than just about any other team. The car though does appear to be fundamentally better than this years Sauber, if Hulkenberg was in Sutils car he'd have more points than he does now. I suppose though in the Sauber he's still got the chance to impress by dragging its sorry ass into Q3 every now and again.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3275849)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
do you think it's just the ferrari seat that's up for grabs in the next season or two?
Old 9 Jul 2013, 12:04 (Ref:3275854)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Well for next season there's at least one Lotus seat that is potentially available (2 if Kimi goes to Red Bull), maybe one at Ferrari for next year (and another when Alonso finally gives up and goes to Red Bull - although that's probably a straight swap with Vettel right?). Not sure how long the McLaren drivers have got left on their contracts - I'd have thought Button will leave once his is up and Perez isn't really any better then Hulkenberg is he? Webber bailing out has made silly season interesting again
Old 9 Jul 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3275855)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
autosport have put something interesting up.

Quote:
Sources have revealed that against the backdrop of poor form and finances, Hulkenberg has not taken up an option he had to commit to a new contract with Sauber, which means his future is now open.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108686

sounds rather like someone's got the wrong end of the rumour stick somewhere along the line, doesn't it?

i think he'd be an absolute no-brainer for lotus next year, whether kimi stays around or leaves. grosjean is just too occasional, and too reliant on everything being good with the car. none of their juniors is anywhere near being ready to promote.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 12:19 (Ref:3275861)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I guess it partly depends on Lotus' finances too - Kimi leaving would free up some salary cash I guess, but Grosjean brings the 'Total' sponsorship doesn't he? I suppose Hulkenberg and Grosjean isn't too bad (as you say - their juniors aren't ready yet).
Old 9 Jul 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3275866)   #24
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still convinced that he'll be in a Ferrari next year. And I think all concerned would benefit from the Hulk rather than Massa.

Lotus isn't too shabby an option either though. If it's true that Maldonado is a done deal for one of their seats next year it would make sense to have a very safe pair of hands in Hulkenberg than risking Grosjean.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3275890)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I'm still convinced that he'll be in a Ferrari next year. And I think all concerned would benefit from the Hulk rather than Massa.
where do you think that leaves bianchi?