Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Nov 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3331082)   #1
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Schumacher turns down F1 return with Lotus

I really wish he took the offer I know roman would have beaten him but it would have added a bit more fun to the end of the season plus the Lotus is very competitive im sure he would get some good points
Old 14 Nov 2013, 01:00 (Ref:3331083)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massa_number1 View Post
I really wish he took the offer I know roman would have beaten him but it would have added a bit more fun to the end of the season plus the Lotus is very competitive im sure he would get some good points
Have you got a citation for this, just interested to know if he was in fact asked!
Old 14 Nov 2013, 02:48 (Ref:3331101)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe so after Jackie Stewart and John Surtees declined.......
Old 14 Nov 2013, 02:50 (Ref:3331102)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24935646
Old 14 Nov 2013, 03:32 (Ref:3331106)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Thanks Jeremy, very interesting to see where they rate him against their current options.

Pity he didn't take up the offer!

Maybe, just maybe Mario is free!
Old 14 Nov 2013, 03:49 (Ref:3331108)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see there would be much in it for him. Probably a wise choice.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 03:50 (Ref:3331110)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Your welcome

I am glad he declined to be honest...
Old 14 Nov 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3331147)   #8
Massa_number1
Racer

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to see him in the lotus for the last 2 races it's not like we have much else to look forward to....

Still he has his reasons for declining shame
Old 14 Nov 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3331156)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to see him in the lotus for the last 2 races it's not like we have much else to look forward to....

Still he has his reasons for declining shame
Massive kudos for Lotus... and I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie offered to dip into his pocket to underwrite the costs. You can't begin to compare Kovalainen or Valsecci with Schumacher. In term of marketing draw, there's nobody bigger. Having him on board was one of the reasons Mercedes returned as a manufacturer.

Though nowhere near his peak, he certainly kept Rosberg honest at Merc. and there's no reason to suspect he wouldn't have kept Grosjean honest at Lotus either.

I felt he was mad to come out of retirement and do the Merc thing... and accepting this offer would be even crazier... from his point of view.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3331168)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Lets look forward by bringing in a young up and coming star, instead of looking backwards at the past. It's a perfect oppertunity to see how their test driver copes with a couple of races, instead of just having them mess around in the simulator.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3331239)   #11
Massa_number1
Racer

I see his point of view that he has more to lose than gain coming back I mean its still a risk for little reward I think he would put his life on the line for a world title but not for 2 races with no importance.I would just have loved to see him come back in a consistent stable car and maybe grab a podium place in Brazil after getting to grips with the car in Austin

Maybe its the nostalgia thing for me his comeback didnt work out but when you look at it for a 40+ yr old to come and even compete with these 'kids' was actually damn impressive but thats for another thread of course..
Old 14 Nov 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3331264)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Massive kudos for Lotus... and I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie offered to dip into his pocket to underwrite the costs.
I wonder just how much it would have taken to tempt him......?
Old 14 Nov 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3331279)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Schumacher back where he...almost..started..with Benetton..almost.

I don't think I could stand the stress of another return.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 14:14 (Ref:3331287)   #14
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I wonder just how much it would have taken to tempt him......?
He has more money than he could ever spend, so I don't imagine anything financial would be tempting. From the moment he retired [the first time] he seemed to be suffering 'need for speed' withdrawal symptoms. He did quite a bit of kart racing - at high level - then had his foray into bike racing - that almost did for him. The MB return seemed to have been done to placate his hunger to race again. Unless he's suffering similar withdrawal symptoms, I don't think anything could tempt him to return, which is a good thing in the bigger scheme of things.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3331342)   #15
Massa_number1
Racer

maybe he looked at fisichella's little ferrari stint and thought better of it?

just wondering lets say he did accept where do you realistically think he would have finished? Id say roman would have beat him in quali given his form against kimi and schumachers vs nico as for the race i feel he would have struggled to 8th-10th on paper and in Brazil 4th or a podium
Old 14 Nov 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3331344)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
maybe he looked at fisichella's little ferrari stint and thought better of it?

just wondering lets say he did accept where do you realistically think he would have finished? Id say roman would have beat him in quali given his form against kimi and schumachers vs nico as for the race i feel he would have struggled to 8th-10th on paper and in Brazil 4th or a podium
You never know what he might have done If he did beat Grosjean, however, his career would be toast.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3331392)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With the lack if testing, why not give a young driver a go? What is the point of trying to get retired drivers back all the time?
Old 14 Nov 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3331394)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For internet fun. There are loads of posts that people are dying for the opportunity to type again.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3331395)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I don't like it. *grumble*
Old 14 Nov 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3331472)   #20
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
With the lack if testing, why not give a young driver a go? What is the point of trying to get retired drivers back all the time?
Just because of the lack of testing. Better to bring in a experienced driver who needs less testing, than a rookie driver. This lack of testing is killing the opportunities for new drivers!
Old 15 Nov 2013, 08:39 (Ref:3331652)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It would have been ludicrous. Might as well not bother having any young drivers trying to come through if the old boys are going to be invited back, again, and again.......
Old 15 Nov 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3331663)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It would have been ludicrous. Might as well not bother having any young drivers trying to come through if the old boys are going to be invited back, again, and again.......
From a driving perspective it's nuts. But as we know Lotus are in all sorts of financial difficulties and I'm sure this had something to do with offering the drive to Schumacher. There's no question that there would be huge marketing value in having him in the seat... and Lotus must have had some way of turning that into $$$.

But I agree with what others have said... we want to see new blood coming through and not a reprise of people who've had their opportunities to shine. However until/unless F1 costs are brought under control and new driver testing can return, I can't see this happening any time soon. Sad.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3331668)   #23
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
From a driving perspective it's nuts. But as we know Lotus are in all sorts of financial difficulties and I'm sure this had something to do with offering the drive to Schumacher. There's no question that there would be huge marketing value in having him in the seat... and Lotus must have had some way of turning that into $$$.

But I agree with what others have said... we want to see new blood coming through and not a reprise of people who've had their opportunities to shine. However until/unless F1 costs are brought under control and new driver testing can return, I can't see this happening any time soon. Sad.
All the new blood stuff aside.
Lotus needs points to finish as high as possible in the WCC as possible, to attract sponsors and earn money for points off Bernie.
Which driver that is not currently under contract would you choose to get the job done Davyboy?

The added marketing and PR would be just another added bonus!

I suspect that the reason for Schumacher's refusal would be some Mercedes contract or other!
Old 15 Nov 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3331669)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I can't believe that this is getting so much coverage evenu though it was never going to happen.

Schumacher's rep is still clearlt vefy strong!
Old 15 Nov 2013, 12:26 (Ref:3331714)   #25
Massa_number1
Racer

if the season wasnt already finished then I wouldnt care if he came back or not as id be too interested in the title fight going on in the last 2 races but as theres nothing left to look forward to he would really make it worth watching

HATERS!! if senna was alive and in his 50's and 10 seconds off the pace you would all still want him to comeback you just all hate SCHUMI!!!!