Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Aug 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3922051)   #1601
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Come on Guys, it really is getting serious now...…

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...cid=spartandhp
Old 9 Aug 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3922052)   #1602
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
When did I say I was an immigrant? I'm a proud Yorkshireman , me , and I'll see you outside if you suggest otherwise . Must dash , whippet to walk .

Based on your self-reported Family history.
Old 9 Aug 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3922056)   #1603
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When it comes down to it, I think that it is fair to say that we will all have some immigrant roots in our background - some more recent than others.

My own lineage is that my maternal family came from Russia - both grandparents were born there, but married in the UK - whilst my paternal family came from Poland and I think that they were born there.

Being Jewish, neither families felt very welcome in their own countries and came to the UK in the later part of the nineteenth century. Those that remained did not survive the onslaughts on the Jewish people in either Russia or Poland. And I am the last remaining descendant of either family who knows or cares anything about our family histories because our children take no interest in the past.
Old 9 Aug 2019, 22:03 (Ref:3922139)   #1604
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
When it comes down to it, I think that it is fair to say that we will all have some immigrant roots in our background - some more recent than others.

Very true.

On my paternal side somewhere (I think maybe Great Grandfather but possibly one step further back) was a gentleman from Germany who came to live in the UK.

No, nothing royal in the connection despite the similarities. He became a Policeman in London.

We have a family tree that identified the links to the German side of the family and from there came their tree that goes back to around the mid 1600s if memory serves. Very detailed records kept in Germany. Much less detailed in England.

My maternal Grandmother came from Cork so a proven Irish connection too though I don't think that has been traced back very far beyond her generation.
Old 9 Aug 2019, 23:26 (Ref:3922145)   #1605
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Come on Guys, it really is getting serious now...…

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...cid=spartandhp
This just seems to be more and more appropriate:
Old 10 Aug 2019, 04:38 (Ref:3922165)   #1606
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Excellent……
Old 10 Aug 2019, 06:56 (Ref:3922168)   #1607
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Not really - we are in a hopeless mess, and Parliament just reflects the deep divide created by the Brexit farce in the wider population . I suspect it will take decades for the country to recover equilibrium - and it is all thanks to call me bloody Dave
Old 10 Aug 2019, 07:10 (Ref:3922169)   #1608
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mmm....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdEMERq8MA
Old 10 Aug 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3922170)   #1609
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not really - we are in a hopeless mess, and Parliament just reflects the deep divide created by the Brexit farce in the wider population . I suspect it will take decades for the country to recover equilibrium - and it is all thanks to call me bloody Dave
Whilst I agree it's due to Cameron remain voters forget that We were offered a general election. On the basis of the referendum; we had the referendum and in the.biggest turn out ever (?) The vote was to.leave.

Then we had another general election where the conniving remain politicians hoped to secure a big majority. Sadly.May was so useless she screwed their idea and so a minority government was the outcome. And thst is the problem. Had the remain camp accepted the result of the.original referendum this almighty mess would not exist. As they say if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the.problem.

Aaand don't buy.the current "I told you so" comments concerning the latest business news. What nobody tells you is how badly Italy and now Germany are doing in terms of trade. They are on, if not tipped over, the cliff edge.

France is not far behind.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 09:03 (Ref:3922171)   #1610
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Whilst I agree it's due to Cameron remain voters forget that We were offered a general election. On the basis of the referendum; we had the referendum and in the.biggest turn out ever (?) The vote was to.leave.

Then we had another general election where the conniving remain politicians hoped to secure a big majority. Sadly.May was so useless she screwed their idea and so a minority government was the outcome. And thst is the problem. Had the remain camp accepted the result of the.original referendum this almighty mess would not exist. As they say if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the.problem.

Aaand don't buy.the current "I told you so" comments concerning the latest business news. What nobody tells you is how badly Italy and now Germany are doing in terms of trade. They are on, if not tipped over, the cliff edge.

France is not far behind.

Peter; "There are none so blind as they that will not see"

I have noticed over the last three years that virtually all of the 'abuse, or insults' have been thrown by the Remainers. It is them who fill the pages of the cheaper papers with their denigration of Leavers, aided and abetted by the Media in general.

But then I am all in favour President Trump, such a change from slimy politicos like Obama.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3922207)   #1611
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
So you like deceitful, xenophobic, racist bullies then?
Old 10 Aug 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3922213)   #1612
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not really which is why I dislike Marnier and his ilk.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3922219)   #1613
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So you like deceitful, xenophobic, racist bullies then?
Funny that, more people voted to leave the EU and more people voted for Donald Trump.

At least Coppice, I am in the majority.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3922230)   #1614
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Funny that, more people voted to leave the EU and more people voted for Donald Trump.

At least Coppice, I am in the majority.

If I can correct you on one point, Trump did not win the popular vote, i.e. the number of individual votes. Clinton won that particular part by around 2 to 3 million, but that is not wins elections in the USA.

There, with the college voting system, there are about 350 "delegates" that actually control the outcome of the whole election. And American voting laws permits these "delegates" to ignore the wishes of their constituents and cast their ballots in a contradictory way.

And America likes to tell the world that they are democratic!
Old 10 Aug 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3922234)   #1615
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If I can correct you on one point, Trump did not win the popular vote, i.e. the number of individual votes. Clinton won that particular part by around 2 to 3 million, but that is not wins elections in the USA.

There, with the college voting system, there are about 350 "delegates" that actually control the outcome of the whole election. And American voting laws permits these "delegates" to ignore the wishes of their constituents and cast their ballots in a contradictory way.

And America likes to tell the world that they are democratic!
Not a million miles away from the EU system.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3922241)   #1616
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Not a million miles away from the EU system.

Or the UK system given that the elected MPs have no obligation to follow the voting preferences of their constituents. Nor a say in how the candidate is chosen.

But then democracy remains a dream on the bucket list of life for many.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3922279)   #1617
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Ah, a brexit commemorative coin. That’ll make everything perfect, then!

https://news.sky.com/story/chancello...tober-11782564
Old 11 Aug 2019, 11:22 (Ref:3922280)   #1618
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Ah, a brexit commemorative coin. That’ll make everything perfect, then!

https://news.sky.com/story/chancello...tober-11782564
Could be worth as much as 45p by Christmas!
Old 11 Aug 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3922285)   #1619
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Or the UK system given that the elected MPs have no obligation to follow the voting preferences of their constituents. Nor a say in how the candidate is chosen.

But then democracy remains a dream on the bucket list of life for many.
Other than generally we vote for a manifesto and that is what the MPs are obliged to follow. The current circs are somewhat different. The MPs should follow their constituents not their own personal agendas. This is why some are being deselelected.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3922728)   #1620
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
…., more people voted for Donald Trump.
Actually, that's untrue, Bob. Clinton had nearly 3 million votes more than Trump. Just saying …..

Ooops, just spotted Mike's post saying the same. I'll grab me coat!

Last edited by John Turner; 14 Aug 2019 at 15:04.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 14 Aug 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3922756)   #1621
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Actually, that's untrue, Bob. Clinton had nearly 3 million votes more than Trump. Just saying …..

Ooops, just spotted Mike's post saying the same. I'll grab me coat!
Leave your coat on the rack John. More of the people who counted voted for Trump. How anybody other than Bill could have voted for Hilary is beyond my understanding, A truly dreadful woman.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3922761)   #1622
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Other than generally we vote for a manifesto and that is what the MPs are obliged to follow. The current circs are somewhat different. The MPs should follow their constituents not their own personal agendas. This is why some are being deselelected.
A Manifesto?

You mean the list of stuff that they tout to people when appealing for their support and then quickly misplace once the need for the support is in the past?

"Events, dear boy, events".
Old 15 Aug 2019, 04:30 (Ref:3922802)   #1623
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes I do mean that and it is the principle upon which Mps are voted. I am not suggesting that the Mps then stick to it but it is the basis of our general elections.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 10:34 (Ref:3922831)   #1624
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Yes I do mean that and it is the principle upon which Mps are voted. I am not suggesting that the Mps then stick to it but it is the basis of our general elections.
Indeed it is Peter but over the years I have come to question the validity of the concept.

They are, for all practical purposes, just another form of Dodgy Dossier.

The only bits that seem to be enacted are those that are common to all parties or those bound to fail at some point before the next election, thus making them pre-prepared targets for criticism.

Almost like the 'opposition' allowed them through on purpose ...

Still, I suppose it gives the denizens of Westminster something to do.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3922838)   #1625
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
More of the people who counted voted for Clinton. How anybody could have voted for Trump, A truly dreadful man.
Corrected that for you, Bob!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!