Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

GOODWOOD 75th MEMBERS MEETING
Calendar: Historic Racing
Mike Bell  
18 Mar 2017 to 19 Mar 2017 08:00 to 18:00
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

Details of the 75th Goodwood Members Meeting here :

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-...ils-announced/

The new race for A series powered pre '66 Sports and GT cars is quite interesting - The Weslake Cup. Anyone know if this will include some of the Mini specials like the DART, Jem, Marcos, Ogle, Unipower or Deep Sanderson? Are front wheel drive permitted?

Old 8 Mar 2017, 09:45 (Ref:3717237)   #46
Mike Bell
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It's goody, they suggest a dress code in some bumf, but I was in jeans and rally jacket the year I was there- what could be more 70s/80s?
Old 8 Mar 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3717260)   #47
rwstokes
Rookie

rwstokes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've gone in black jeans everytime I've been and never had an issue. Tend to wear a shirt but without a tie, jumper and then a modern coat as it will be artic.

I have read the dress code as smart outdoors stuff which seems to work out well.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3717277)   #48
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If it's warm enough I might turn up in my usual attire, skin
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Mar 2017, 13:34 (Ref:3717279)   #49
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Jeans are disapproved of are they

Could a race meeting be any more snobbish?

What a farce
Agreed, it's bad enough that golf clubs still have a dress code, let alone a race meeting, any race meeting.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3717298)   #50
Mike Bell
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry Guys, I really think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here!

You see a lot of peeps at the Revival in modern togs, shorts etc., but understandably they don't get into the inner paddocks so attired. The MM is more relaxed than that, and most dress for the weather- it is mid March after all! If that means jeans, fleece, gloves, ski-hat, wellies and coat / anorak then so be it.....
Old 8 Mar 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3717309)   #51
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!
I love Goodwood but the whole pantomime thing is daft. If people want to dress up that's fine- and plenty do - but to make it compulsory at the Revival is absurd. I used to go to the Royal Opera House quite regularly and whilst I dressed smartly I didn't have to - no dress code .

And as somebody who attended race meetings in the late 60s I can report no sightings of faux Marilyn Monroes , Mods or RAF Squadron Leaders - a donkey jacket or Barbour was the norm , with a Park Drive drawing well - and that was just for the girls...
Old 8 Mar 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3717311)   #52
Mike Bell
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I love Goodwood but the whole pantomime thing is daft. If people want to dress up that's fine- and plenty do - but to make it compulsory at the Revival is absurd.
It is not compulsory at the Revival! Read my previous post above...... The inner paddocks have a dress code, but you can walk round anywhere else (including all the other paddocks) dressed however you like.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3717329)   #53
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to be Mr Pedant but ...if by 'inner paddock ' you mean the part of the paddock which is accessed by a paddock pass then there was certainly a strict code when I last visited with my wife. Despite wearing a smart blazer, silk shirt, cravat and smart trousers she was told by some possibly over zealous official that she couldn't go in as she wasn't wearing a skirt..... Not a wise move on his part - she got in.

If I may quote verbatim from the Goodwood website 'What is the dress code? As with any exclusive club , the MM is intended to be stylish and relaxed - and informal yet smart event with everyone asked to respect the dress code'

Anyway - I am sure I will enjoy it . I don't expect to feature too much in the ..ahem ..house system - I developed an allergy to all that stuff at my very minor public school . So much so that its main symptom was praying for Lindsay Anderson's film 'If ' to have been a documentary ....

Last edited by coppice; 8 Mar 2017 at 18:30.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3717331)   #54
Mike Bell
Veteran

England
We agree then! The (inner) paddocks at the Revival that require a pass have a clearly defined dress code. That code does not apply to the general public areas, although enthusiastically encouraged by all the PR.

MM publicity also encourages a certain standard of 'dress', but as mentioned by several posters, no one seems to have suffered by choosing to wear their choice, or to suit the conditions!

The house system and games are completely lost on me, not having attended a public school. Again, not compulsory.....
Old 8 Mar 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3717333)   #55
gary396
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just go and enjoy it. The racing there rarely disappoints.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3717342)   #56
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol, at 90 quid a pop, what planet are you on

This event is for the rich elite, nobody else.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3717344)   #57
gary396
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would appear that plenty of people will go and are willing to pay the price so that's their choice. I doubt they'll be disappointed based on past experience.

Those that don't want to pay the price can just moan about it or simply go to cheaper events and enjoy those. All about personal choice really no matter what our respective planets are.

Didn't realise I was one of the rich elite though. Blimey that's good news.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 20:19 (Ref:3717346)   #58
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Woo hoo! I'm the rich elite at last!

Oh, wait, I got a Freebie ticket from FISCRacer. Ah well, back to being a spongeing pleb!
Old 9 Mar 2017, 05:26 (Ref:3717425)   #59
Mike Bell
Veteran

England
Quote:
Jeans are disapproved of are they

Could a race meeting be any more snobbish?

What a farce
Quote:

What a pair of posts! No further comment required.......
Old 9 Mar 2017, 06:03 (Ref:3717429)   #60
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope Peter's bikini is bullet proof because some of his "grid neighbors" seem to come from the racing Who's Who! Roberto Ravaglia, Gerhard Berger and their band are gonna play good music !
Seem that the game will be played "à guichet fermé" because the site announces everything is sold.