Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Sep 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2299407)   #126
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_xr8
Have you been to olympic park? There is water fountains at the bottom middle and top of the circuits. Heat isnt an issue There are plenty of places to get out of the sun. Timing im not sure when else you could hold the race.

March to October is footy season. After that the races we have now are traditional. You will still have 3 weeks before christmas to spend your hard earned on the family.

If you truely wish to attend and have a good time you will make it happen but if your the person who finds way not to attend then the living room is maybe the place for you.
Yes half a dozen or more times over the last 8 yrs - mostly in summer and shelter there isnt next to the proposed circuit - they will be open grandstands or public access - corporates thats another thing.

Timing is an issue as Adelaide have the opener and Indy is October and the RL takes up residence for the middle part - NSW have missed out timing wise.
To be honest I really dont care if it works or not - its a stale series not worth watching (except for Bathurst) - I'm 54 and have been a keen observer of motor sport for 45 years in all formulae both 2 & 4 wheels - but these days ala the rubbish that is F1 I dont have a lot of interest in contrived and controlled series which both are - give me formula Fords or anything with free form design like sports sedans the old Can Am series 66-74 and then your talking - NASCAR are finding the same things with their 3 tiered series and the COT - hardly any race in that league has sold out this year and god dont mention IRL if you see more than the crews there at a race you would be lucky - racing isnt about how much money you can screw out of a series and TV rights - its about the racing which is sadly lacking in many formulae worldwide including V8 Supercars - its all about the money and Ive seen first hand the way Cochranes partner (Erskine) works - its definitely all about the money - yes its an investment in a 'show' (which is Erskines background) well the show is stale - hand it over to someone who can fix it or change the format.
Old 28 Sep 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2299455)   #127
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noted a point that was made in the news today that the promoters are standing the majority of the estimated 13 million dollar cost. It seems if they want it the government told them to pay for it as it should always be. The government doesn't front the money for other entertainment events so why should they for the V8's?
Old 28 Sep 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2299502)   #128
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I noted a point that was made in the news today that the promoters are standing the majority of the estimated 13 million dollar cost. It seems if they want it the government told them to pay for it as it should always be. The government doesn't front the money for other entertainment events so why should they for the V8's?

Casper the NSW government front the infrastructure costs each year (some $30 mill thats the figure quoted) and V8SA have guaranteed to cover the shortfall if the event fails to meet expectation so you and I are paying for this not Cochrane or Erskine. Meanwhile EC goes on being fully booked and under utilized as a venue and will most likely go the same way as Oran park in time as the NSW government own it.
Old 28 Sep 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2299617)   #129
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
V8SA current catch cry is that they are assuming all the risk. Now honestly how much risk is there if the Government is supplying 30 odd million than 2-3-4 million each year for V8SA to have complete control over the event?

They have a race track built and torn down each year, all they do is turn up and sell tickets. If they race fails, V8SA leave. Where exactly have they assumed any risk.
Old 28 Sep 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2299851)   #130
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spot on DRT.

And in the case of Canberra, there was even a clause in the contract that said if the ACT Government wanted out before 5 years, they had to BUY OUT!

When the race didn't match Cockroach's lofty promises and the ACT Government got cold feet, it actually cost the Government more money to bail out...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 28 Sep 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2299868)   #131
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
oh come on there is no 30 million each year that the government are paying.

you boys are in dream world
Old 29 Sep 2008, 01:05 (Ref:2299958)   #132
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...540296002.html
Old 29 Sep 2008, 01:20 (Ref:2299962)   #133
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Homebush is GO
Old 29 Sep 2008, 02:02 (Ref:2299970)   #134
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
To all the supporters of this exciting new event for Sydney and NSW, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

To the few, that would no doubt Boo Santa Clause, and who live in a fairy tale world believing that this is bad for Sydney and/or for Motorsport...

Top job TC and WC

Old 29 Sep 2008, 02:35 (Ref:2299975)   #135
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's 2 major mistakes people are making here.

1. Numbers. For anybody looking at the "Sydney market", they get mesmorised by the fact that nearly a quarter of the nation's population live within an hour's drive of either Homebusy or EC. They forget that this number includes 45% of the national refugee intake, who associate technology/noise/engines with bad news. There's also a huge number of migrants who associate a V8 with nothing more than a race from the traffic lights and an enormous number of self righteous ******s who only know petrol fumes because they spoil the nose of their latte.... It's not just racing that makes this mistake - Basketball have done (helped by the whole firepower drama) and AFL is about to as well. Think about it, the fastest growing sport in Sydney is Football - the round ball kind that actually uses the feet on the ball. It ain't called the world game for nothing. Throw money at the Sydney Market thinking that the gross number is all that counts and you'll only go one way.

2. Location, location, location.

Why does Oran Park attract bigger crowds that EC? Possibly because there is a very large group of the right demograph reasonably close by. EC isn't that much further, so if they can't go to OP they'll most likely go to EC for an annual event. So EC's next to a tip? As I've written previously, I've never had a problem with the tip, but perhaps I've been lucky. The tip won't be there forever either.

F1 teams won't go to Blacktown? Have you ever been to Sao Paolo?
Old 29 Sep 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2299980)   #136
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
oh come on MJ, If thats all you got, then you shouldnt have bothered.

The numbers are for a 3 day crowd of 150k, thats like 60k per day and 30 on the friday, and your talking about migrants or 10% of the population of sydney, then you talk about soccer, of course its the fastest growing, your starting from a small base.

then you talk about location and you have a train stop at the track, seems pretty good, as well as other access
Old 29 Sep 2008, 02:49 (Ref:2299982)   #137
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction
F1 teams won't go to Blacktown? Have you ever been to Sao Paolo?
Your comparing Sydney to Sao Paulo or Australia to Brazil?

Well that sums up the arguement right there really...
Old 29 Sep 2008, 03:50 (Ref:2299992)   #138
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rees reckons its worth $110m
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Sep 2008, 04:18 (Ref:2299994)   #139
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO

I've been to Sao Paolo. In my view it's a toxic dump, dangerous in many ways without getting into the people. If F1 teams go there, they'll happily go to EC. Not that it's ever going to happen but the principle applies that Western Sydney is not as attractive as some parts of our fair land, but it ain't that bad on a world scale.

What is escaping those who think they'll make a motza out of this event is that foxtel, the local pub, a mirror or al-jazeera are the things that appeal most to large chunks of Sydney's population. Why do you think A1GP brought more people to EC than the V8's? The numbers for all forms of sporting entertainment stubbornly refuse to stack up to the percentages of the rest of the nation. The only way this event is going to make the kind of numbers promised is by attracting most attendees from of out of town.

Quote:
oh come on MJ, If thats all you got, then you shouldnt have bothered.

The numbers are for a 3 day crowd of 150k, thats like 60k per day and 30 on the friday, and your talking about migrants or 10% of the population of sydney, then you talk about soccer, of course its the fastest growing, your starting from a small base.

then you talk about location and you have a train stop at the track, seems pretty good, as well as other access
I'm keeping my posts short, to match the attention span of some readers....

I think you ought to look at the participation numbers, Soccer is second only to Netball.

As for having a train stop at the track, Sandown has one of those and the crowd stayed away in droves. If you think Sandown in June is less attractive than Homebush in December, I've got news for you, especially if they cut down any of the few trees that provide decent shade.

There is excellent bus transport to the site, but whether it's any better than having 2 main roads going right past the circuit (Sandown again) I doubt. In fairness, I'll add here that I've only been to Sandown by train.

Oran Park gets 100,000 or more for the weekend, despite being 15k's from a train station.

The major winners out of this exercise will be the teams, who can book out the Novotel and walk to work.

Edit: Now that I've seen Lee Rhiannon is opposed to the race I'm going to have to think long and hard about supporting it just on principle.....

Last edited by Malfunction Junction; 29 Sep 2008 at 04:24.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 04:26 (Ref:2299996)   #140
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Black Wiggle was on the Steve Price radio show in 2ue this morning saying the figures in today SMH and previous edtions of a figure of $90mil are crap made up by the anti v8 paper.
But then again the Radio host is a Wiggle fan and is going to the do tonight.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 29 Sep 2008, 04:52 (Ref:2300003)   #141
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Cochrane has been quite vocal about the SMH & Mr McKay (without naming him directly) in recent tirades.

I would have thought that you dont influence people positively by effluent canning them and their newspaper (which has 200,000+ readers each day)...
Old 29 Sep 2008, 04:56 (Ref:2300004)   #142
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO

that really isn't a comparison i agree there, i will also admit the Blacktown area (i live in the area) is abit dumpy, they had the Olympic's which is one of if not the most world class event with every country represented, it's definatly bigger then F1. the venues were at Homebush, Blacktown with the baseball and the regatta centre in Penrith. the place was cleaned up well for that why couldn't they clean it up for F1? i know F1 is annually and the Olympic's was a 1 off but my point is the area has hosted a world class event before so why can't it do it again.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 05:10 (Ref:2300007)   #143
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mr Rees says he was forced to approve funding ahead of November's mini-budget to avoid the risk of losing the event to another city.
Could one of the brave journalists up there in the Emerald city please ask the Premier "what city?"
You've got to hand it to Cochrane he's one of the best flim flam men going around.
I'm buying all my snake oil from him from now on.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 05:21 (Ref:2300009)   #144
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Singapore?
Old 29 Sep 2008, 05:23 (Ref:2300011)   #145
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
oh inpitlane, it saddens me that one in the media can take a comment out of context so easily, you know very well that that is just bad reporting

and besides i reckon you made that quote up, i cant find it anywhere in the listed posts

malfunction junction its hard to accept you posts as having any basis in fact when you try to tell us that OP gets 100k to it over the weekend. i can only assume your over so called stats are wrong also
Old 29 Sep 2008, 05:37 (Ref:2300017)   #146
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
oh inpitlane, it saddens me that one in the media can take a comment out of context so easily, you know very well that that is just bad reporting

and besides i reckon you made that quote up, i cant find it anywhere in the listed posts
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...?section=sport

Prey tell explain how that was out of context. The "out of context" excuse is the journalistic equivalent of "The Dog ate my homework"
The question remains what city Mr Premier? Does anybody really believe the Singapore story, It ranks with the V8's to Siverstone, Donnington, Laguna Seca and South African tales.
One has to wonder did Mr Rees and his staff read the Canberra Auditor General's report at all?
Despite that it'll still be a pretty successful meeting, at least in the short term.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 05:41 (Ref:2300020)   #147
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
at less you have given a source now, you know very well that that is just bad jounalism, no other article has mentioned it
Old 29 Sep 2008, 06:02 (Ref:2300027)   #148
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
at less you have given a source now, you know very well that that is just bad jounalism, no other article has mentioned it
You're right, no other article has mentioned it and that is bad journalism.
If Nathan Rees has been labouring under the misapprehension that there's a long line of cities, either in Australia or anywhere else for that matter all desperate to get their hands on a V8 Supercar race then he is misinformed at best or just plain naive. The "we have other people interested" ploy is a staple of salesmen everywhere. Anyone sold or bought a house recently?
Once again I ask the question Mr Rees; Which City ?
Old 29 Sep 2008, 06:06 (Ref:2300029)   #149
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peckstar, stop being such a goddam Cochrane apologist and have some independent thought process that does not mirror the bowel motions of Tony Cochrane.
I still recall the early days of Cochrane's rise to power when he said he didn't know anything about motor racing but he knew a lot about business. Nothing has changed.
And yet you believe the sun shines from his anus.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 07:14 (Ref:2300052)   #150
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The interesting thing about this whole discussion is that it is taking place in a forum where almost by definition the bulk of people participating are motor sport fans.
And the vast majority seem to be against Homebush.
I don't think it's the location, I think it is that the product is almost dead in the Sydney Market, and while this may save V8SC for a year it will put motorsport in general in a very bad light in the country's most sophisticated market.