Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Jun 2001, 14:17 (Ref:104783)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why I think NASCAR is right for not mandating the HANS device yet

As far as the HANS device, many feel it have should be mandated after the death of Irwin and Petty last year and some believe that it is the cureall for the neck related injuries and deaths. However, I feel that NASCAR has taken the proper stance on this device. One reason as to why it probably hasn't been mandated, can be found right on their website in the disclaimer section (http://www.hansdevice.com/disclaimer-form.htm). It states in part: "No warranty or representation of any kind is made as to the merchantability or fitness for any purpose as to any HANSĀ® device. You agree and acknowledge that no safety device can protect its user from all risk of injury or death. You assume all risk from any activity involving the use of the HANSĀ® device."

Another reason, it states on their information sheet that 740 pounds of force is the threshold for neck injury but make no claim as to how many pounds of force the HANS device will reduce. See: http://www.hansdevice.com/information-sheet.htm

Although I would probably wear a HANS device if I were racing, I cannot see why this device, which has been around for ten years, all of a sudden needs to be mandated as a knee-jerk reaction. The bottom line here is, if you can't warrantee that your product is more effective than rubbing snake oil to the back of the neck when it comes to preventing basilar skull fractures, then it probably shouldn't be mandated. I'll take my chances on the theoretical basis that it works but everyone should decide for themselves until its worth has been proven and backed by the manufacturer.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 17:44 (Ref:104827)   #2
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are many new restraints being developed

Hi- I'm NEW so be nice!
Requiring or mandating a HANS, for all drivers, would eliminate the developement of newer devices that are being invented.
The HANS is a cumbersome device that when worn, often hurts the drivers collarbones. It often takes a week for the soreness to wear off, then having to climb in & wear it again for another 500 miles or so. Some of the newer devices, accomplish the same safty goals, only less painful to wear. They are harder to use though.
I DO want to see some safty changes made or mandated. But to adopt the first thing that comes along....well would be stupid. To Quote the Big Dude...It's all a work in progress.
Old 15 Jun 2001, 02:00 (Ref:105365)   #3
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with both of you.

Tags
hans