Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Mar 2011, 03:44 (Ref:2840885)   #51
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Poor pottsie, he's probably going to end up with a speeding ticket.......
.... and they are dynamite on the 'e-tag' tickets you need to even venture onto the tarmac.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 04:17 (Ref:2840892)   #52
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The bridge thing is probably a dumb move. The Sydney bridge thing worked because it was a fairly new idea and that was Sydey's only chance to see an F1 car. It's a stunt that has now been done to death in half the major cities of the world. And for a repeat performance that won't get any footage outside Melbourne why risk getting people's backs up by inconveniencing them?
Back on Topis should we run a sweep on the best Lowndes or Button lap time at Bathurst.
My entry 1:48.500
Post your guesse and see who is nearest.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 04:47 (Ref:2840893)   #53
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
meanwhile

Redbull are going to take an F1 car over the bolte bridge (major road in Melbourne) on the same weekend
Red Bull run is Saturday 19th
Vodafone run is Tuesday 22nd

Am thinking I might head to melbourne for the day and check out the RB run....
Old 6 Mar 2011, 06:28 (Ref:2840897)   #54
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
The bridge thing is probably a dumb move. The Sydney bridge thing worked because it was a fairly new idea and that was Sydey's only chance to see an F1 car. It's a stunt that has now been done to death in half the major cities of the world. And for a repeat performance that won't get any footage outside Melbourne why risk getting people's backs up by inconveniencing them?
Back on Topis should we run a sweep on the best Lowndes or Button lap time at Bathurst.
hmmm.....

good one...

Old 6 Mar 2011, 06:35 (Ref:2840898)   #55
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well, if it is dry, and they run it restrained down the hill, then I think a 1:47.5.

I think the major gains will be going up the mountain, (and on the brakes into Caltex!)
Old 6 Mar 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2840911)   #56
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm guessing closer to 2 mins. I think it could be very slow down the mountain.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2841200)   #57
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At Albert Park where a V8 Supercar laps in around 2 minutes an F1 car is about 35 seconds a lap quicker.At Bathurst where the V8 lap time s about 2m7s a theoretical F1 time is about 1m30s.I would be very surprised if the time on March 22 is below 1m50s.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 01:39 (Ref:2841244)   #58
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know where I can find some more info on this? Starting times etc...? Myself and a few mates are considering heading down to Bathurst for a peek.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 02:54 (Ref:2841258)   #59
coney
Rookie

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
coney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still awaiting the rubber stamp from Cams, until then no other info is available
Old 7 Mar 2011, 02:59 (Ref:2841260)   #60
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour has it it will run between 10am and 1:30pm. Lowndes in F1, Button in V8, then potentially a swap so Button can have a go in the F1 if they have enough time to swap the seats, reposition pedals etc etc
Old 7 Mar 2011, 05:11 (Ref:2841274)   #61
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hopefully, seeing as it is last years car, it will also be running last years tyres. Of course, maybe they are contractually bound to use this years.....
Old 7 Mar 2011, 05:17 (Ref:2841276)   #62
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the dipper et al will provide the F1 car some dramas...

so my guess is 1:57.690
Old 7 Mar 2011, 05:51 (Ref:2841282)   #63
alfacors
Veteran

I don't think it's a 2010 car. It's been the 2008 car for the previous speed comparison runs from memory.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2841301)   #64
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yes, I do have a feeling that WHincup might have used the 08 MP4-23 McLaren, but now the cars are totally different..... in 08 they ran grooved tyres and the older style lower wider rear wing and narrower front wing. The tyres obviously is an easy fix, but the 08 to last years and even the 09 cars were so obviously different maybe they might have updated them by now.

Having said that the major visual change was the rear and front wings which must be fairly easy swaps and one they have already done previously (Fairly sure that all the teams tested their 08 cars with the 09 spec front and rear wings..... back when they allowed end season testing of interim cars.)

And then logic took over and this thought crossed my mind....

[cynical mode]
Being a promotional / PR deal being done by Vodafone, I am sure Vodafone will be very keen to run the old 2008 spec wider larger rear wing as it makes their logo on the wing very much larger for the TV and press coverage! So on that basis agree it likely to be the '08 car.
[/cynical mode]
Old 8 Mar 2011, 01:05 (Ref:2841886)   #65
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1:47.333
Old 8 Mar 2011, 23:03 (Ref:2842385)   #66
louonline
Racer

louonline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update

I don't like this bit
But who knows what will happen on the day!

"Mr Banfield said he did not expect CAMS to impose any speed restrictions on the drivers, and Ms O’Brien said they would be pushing their cars at “80-90 per cent” of their capacity.
“Due to CAMS restrictions, the laps will not be timed,” Ms O’Brien said. “They will be demonstration laps only. "
---------------------------
"The go Button: Jenson is on his way

MURRAY NICHOLLS
09 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM
MOTOR racing legends Craig Lowndes and Jenson Button will leave little in reserve when they swap cars for promotional hot laps around Mount Panorama later this month.
Formula 1 star Button will take the wheel of Lowndes’ V8 Supercar as he completes his first ever laps of Bathurst’s iconic race circuit.
He will also pilot his Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-25 on a number of laps of the Mount before Lowndes gets in the driver’s seat.
Vodafone public relations manager Michelle O’Brien yesterday confirmed planning was well under way to bring the two stars to Bathurst on Tuesday, March 22 – just days out from the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix in Melbourne.
Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) media and communications co-ordinator Clive Banfield yesterday said the event had still not been granted final safety approval, but he again stressed CAMS could see no reason for it not to go ahead.
Mr Banfield said it was not unusual for final approval for a promotional event like this to be granted on the day.
“We’re still yet to issue a permit but we have absolutely no problem with it – in fact, CAMS is looking forward to it,” Mr Banfield said.
“We have imposed a number of conditions which are all relative to safety, bearing in mind that the whole track is being used and the promotion does involve a number of laps of the track.”
Mr Banfield said CAMS’ main concern was ensuring there were enough “fully-qualified trackside personnel” for the event and the height clearance of the F1 car.
“That’s the sort of information Vodafone already has for the V8 Supercar and we’ve asked that the same information is made available for the F1 car to ensure clearance is not a problem around the track,” he said. “The Dipper is the area we are most concerned about.”
Mr Banfield said he did not expect CAMS to impose any speed restrictions on the drivers, and Ms O’Brien said they would be pushing their cars at “80-90 per cent” of their capacity.
“Due to CAMS restrictions, the laps will not be timed,” Ms O’Brien said. “They will be demonstration laps only.
“It’s going to be an amazing day for Jenson Button as not only will he make an Australian first, he will also make his dream of driving a V8 car a reality when he takes the TeamVodafone V8 Supercar for a spin.
“Craig Lowndes will be taking the controls of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-25, the first time he has driven an F1 car. Craig will also drive his TeamVodafone car around Bathurst too.”
The Lowndes-Button car swap will be open to the public, with entry by gold coin donation to the Victoria and Queensland flood appeals. The fun starts at 11am and Lowndes and Button will take time out to meet fans and sign a few autographs. Organisers are hoping for a crowd of around 10,000 people. "

http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/ne...px?storypage=0
Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 00:18 (Ref:2842421)   #67
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What would an event like this cost??
Old 9 Mar 2011, 02:04 (Ref:2842453)   #68
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by louonline View Post
Update

I don't like this bit
But who knows what will happen on the day!

"Mr Banfield said he did not expect CAMS to impose any speed restrictions on the drivers, and Ms O’Brien said they would be pushing their cars at “80-90 per cent” of their capacity.
“Due to CAMS restrictions, the laps will not be timed,” Ms O’Brien said. “They will be demonstration laps only. "
---------------------------
"The go Button: Jenson is on his way

I know that they have booked an official timekeeper to come with a couple of Dorian timing units.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 9 Mar 2011, 06:21 (Ref:2842496)   #69
The Spy
Rookie

The Spy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know for sure that the public are going to be allowed in, who will be paying for the security, etc and if 10,000 are expected surely there will be a lot of people required. Just my thoughts.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 07:37 (Ref:2842513)   #70
louonline
Racer

louonline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spy View Post
Does anybody know for sure that the public are going to be allowed in, who will be paying for the security, etc and if 10,000 are expected surely there will be a lot of people required. Just my thoughts.

"The Lowndes-Button car swap will be open to the public, with entry by gold coin donation to the Victoria and Queensland flood appeals. The fun starts at 11am and Lowndes and Button will take time out to meet fans and sign a few autographs. Organisers are hoping for a crowd of around 10,000 people. ""

http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/ne...px?storypage=0
Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2843002)   #71
Just Do It!
Veteran

We might need to position someone at The Chase with two stop watches to time laps
Old 10 Mar 2011, 00:05 (Ref:2843115)   #72
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
We might need to position someone at The Chase with two stop watches to time laps
Thats where I will be standing.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 10 Mar 2011, 05:34 (Ref:2843176)   #73
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just about to say, surely we can organise some people with stopwatches if need be.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2843712)   #74
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From that it reads the issuing of the permit is waiting on ground clearance info for the F1 car? Surely taking a wide line at the Dipper would eliminate any problem, or am I off base?
Old 11 Mar 2011, 03:04 (Ref:2843730)   #75
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mosler at the B24 took the wide line and still had issues. They shot themselves in the foot the second year they came out as they went for a stiffer shock setting.

I think the car could do a sub 1:40 lap. Thou I'd be more interested to know if Button or Lowndes completely lifts off the pedal at the Chase.