Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Jan 2015, 06:11 (Ref:3494356)   #6201
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Why did he even bring up Le Mans?
Haven't seen the original article, but maybe he was asked about it?

As Volvo doesn't really have much racing pedigree, they are probably looking at their racing efforts simply from a financial point of view. LMP1 is expensive and gets very little publicity.

edit: now that I actually read the article properly I don't find anything wrong with what the Volvo guy said.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 06:44 (Ref:3494364)   #6202
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Touring cars is a good place for them imo. And they have lots of success in that area (scandanavia especially).
Old 20 Jan 2015, 08:54 (Ref:3494383)   #6203
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It would be interesting to see Geely a chinesse company entering mainstream racing rather than local touring car races but as already said i can't see it happening and also Volvo are not able to generate the income to fund a large scale racing programme so again i think it is very unlikely
Old 20 Jan 2015, 09:06 (Ref:3494386)   #6204
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
What comes to that Volvo comment, the sense of butthurtness here is tangible because you don't want to read between the lines of that comment.
Yeah right, what lines? That it isn't their market area or make sense for them in the first place? Maybe not (except if they brought out some waiverwagon-GTE or rebranded P2 engine or whatever) but I think there are better words to describe manufacturers participating LM than 'dumb'. The money and press figures also don't make sense.

'Volvo Formula E' sounds just about as absurd, but because of the cheap spec nature of it's easier.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 12:01 (Ref:3494426)   #6205
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to Dagys some really good NA news are about to be announced today. Goodwin added 'potentially' & 'deals not done' to that, which was kinda amusing coming from him as he has often made same sort of half promises for the future.

But in any case, it's probably not LMP1s at Sebring etc given the timing, more likely IMSA than WEC news - they'd surely hinted at it @ Detroit powerpoint presentation instead...

Last edited by Deleted; 20 Jan 2015 at 12:06.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 15:12 (Ref:3494465)   #6206
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
According to Dagys some really good NA news are about to be announced today. Goodwin added 'potentially' & 'deals not done' to that, which was kinda amusing coming from him as he has often made same sort of half promises for the future.

But in any case, it's probably not LMP1s at Sebring etc given the timing, more likely IMSA than WEC news - they'd surely hinted at it @ Detroit powerpoint presentation instead...
I'm hoping it's streaming for the full season for everyone, but I've learned in the past it's usually not anything of note.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 15:25 (Ref:3494473)   #6207
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yeah right, what lines? That it isn't their market area or make sense for them in the first place? Maybe not (except if they brought out some waiverwagon-GTE or rebranded P2 engine or whatever) but I think there are better words to describe manufacturers participating LM than 'dumb'. The money and press figures also don't make sense.
He probably pulled that budget out of his butt (but real figure being much higher, so...) and the style is exaggarating and even humorous, but imho valid point that it is two weeks in a year and then almost nothing in the mainstream media. I don't think he even mean this purely from Volvo's POV but generally. Is some of the current manufacturers overly happy how much (little) press WEC is getting, upward trend or not?
Old 20 Jan 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3494485)   #6208
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Sounds like the Andretti-Nissan deal for PWC will be announced (after all the signatures will go on paper this morning?):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC
We’ve already written about the prospect of Nissan joining the Pirelli World Challenge grid, that programme is now very close to formal confirmation for a full season, multi-car effort with an as yet unannounced team.
Basically some sort of confirmation of something we already knew - or saw coming our way, not really news. Just another example of modern, online marketing (crafted to perfection at the Nissan Marketing Academy!)
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:03 (Ref:3494490)   #6209
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Looks like this is it:

http://sportscar365.com/industry/mot...north-america/
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:04 (Ref:3494492)   #6210
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
I'm hoping it's streaming for the full season for everyone, but I've learned in the past it's usually not anything of note.
Motors TV to North America....
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3494494)   #6211
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Didn't see that coming but a very welcome development!
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3494498)   #6212
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it's a TV channel coming to North America, huh? Well, let's hope that they will have other forms of motorsport such as DTM and V8 Supercars!
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:33 (Ref:3494509)   #6213
Deleted
Veteran

So the NA viewers are finally gonna witness the epic SD blur-vision of Motors. Trying to identify car from horse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
He probably pulled that budget out of his butt (but real figure being much higher, so...) and the style is exaggarating and even humorous, but imho valid point that it is two weeks in a year and then almost nothing in the mainstream media. I don't think he even mean this purely from Volvo's POV but generally. Is some of the current manufacturers overly happy how much (little) press WEC is getting, upward trend or not?
Real figure much higher? Yeah in factory P1 sure, but that's assuming you're not only solely doing that one week in June like he leads you to believe in those quotes. Then in the other classes the price tag drops dramatically whether full season or not. Selling customers cars can work too. If you choose to go into rebadging deals you don't even need to do anything. He could just call Kolles today and say "hey Colin I heard you had a car in the highest class in that French race or something, how about I drop you couple of grands in mail and you paint that thing of yours with our intials, righto gotta go water is boiling". So I don't think he's actually made himself familiar with the format at all, because he doesn't care. Which is okay but then why make such remarks.

In terms of mainstream media only taking notice only for short period, of course he's right on that. However, that is still infinitely more he's ever gonna get with his niche touring cars wherever they race. And Formula E? About as unheard championship as WEC is. So in commiting to this sport it might just be mainstream fame for 24 hours + one 30 second clip in evening's sport news or whererever, but unless Volvo goes F1 or NASCAR, wherever else will you find the same? Therefore, the whole mainstream media should be axed away from the whole discussion and just concentrate on racing fans in the first place.

Volvo is not associated with sportscars, but nor are they with single seaters. So if Volvo goes Formula E and it's spec cars (yeah there's gonna be variation in some of the components I believe but hardly anything substantial), does electric single seater car improve marketing any more than hybrid LMP1 car / conventional LMP2 car with some mild association or plain rebranding / waiver equipped production GTE car? Okay FE has the eco-friendly imago, but ACO has also gone to that direction with things like Green X and Garage 56 etc, so if one really wanted to play that game in their marketing with sportscars they could. Also the market and technology for electric cars is still in it's infancy.

Yes I've been one of the most local critics of WEC and still am, but no matter what ACO does - wrong or right - for general public that is still just one event "and some others". Because this is niche form of sport. So with WEC, even if it was the most amazing thing on Earth with Sebrings and whatever, it's still gonna be just some series in the background of Le Mans. ACO's job shouldn't be try to reach Billy Bobs on street, not in numbers at least, but make it known inside the racing world and grow the appeal for manufacturers and customers.

Last edited by Deleted; 20 Jan 2015 at 16:45.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:48 (Ref:3494512)   #6214
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I will take SD WEC racing over risking viruses to find a nice stream online.

This is amazing news... you Europeans don't really realize how starved for racing we Americans really are.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 17:12 (Ref:3494524)   #6215
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's also coming to Latin America
Old 20 Jan 2015, 19:42 (Ref:3494565)   #6216
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
It's also coming to Latin America
I hope that this will help to have more contents in spanish Current spanish broadcasters are really good but they just cover the primetime live events (Australian V8 supercars, WEC, ALMS, Nascar, F3, LOORS, motocross and a few more)
Old 20 Jan 2015, 23:36 (Ref:3494640)   #6217
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post

This is amazing news... you Europeans don't really realize how starved for racing we Americans really are.
Just a few (even if you go with the average Sebring/Petit crowd) - but I'm with you!
Old 21 Jan 2015, 07:40 (Ref:3494694)   #6218
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post

it will be interesting to see if the extra coverage of sportscar racing this brings will result in an increase in the number of fresh faces at the ten tenths meeting this year at Le Mans, the number of american visitors has grown in the last few years and it will be good to see a few more in the next few years
Old 21 Jan 2015, 08:28 (Ref:3494711)   #6219
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
So... it seams that Volvo is battling Mercedes to see wich one of the two is the dumbest.
http://www.crash.net/crash/news/2130...a-e-entry.html

Also, I already tweeted them about the Fia Wec and laughing at them pretty much. I mean if the most succesfull car companies are at the WEC it is becuase of its value.
That Alain Visser guy doesnt seem to be the brightest in the class. Shame a guy like that can ruin the image of a whole company.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 08:29 (Ref:3494712)   #6220
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
it will be interesting to see if the extra coverage of sportscar racing this brings will result in an increase in the number of fresh faces at the ten tenths meeting this year at Le Mans, the number of american visitors has grown in the last few years and it will be good to see a few more in the next few years
I'd guess that if the channel does get into US households we wouldn't see the effects until 2016. By the time Silverstone rolls around in mid-April I'm guessing it's a bit late in the day to arrange a transatlantic trip.

2016 should also (fingers crossed) see the return of Ford so could be a good year for American attendees.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 09:20 (Ref:3494726)   #6221
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just because its introduced in the US, does not mean that any of the major cable tv will pick it up, so it could be there but nobody is distributing it
Old 21 Jan 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3494769)   #6222
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Actually in the RLM F1 season review of which I somehow managed to catch a glimpse Hindy&Daman said that some manufacturer/manufacturers may have considered running third car for full season because of Adrian's proposed cash. So that describtion would fit all works teams
If that's true, holy cow!
Old 21 Jan 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3494808)   #6223
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If that's true, holy cow!
Operative word being 'may'...
Old 21 Jan 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3494823)   #6224
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Part of me hopes not, I like being special and am not particularly fond of the average American. However, it wouldn't be a bad thing to see the sport grow.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 16:17 (Ref:3494834)   #6225
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Part of me hopes not, I like being special and am not particularly fond of the average American. However, it wouldn't be a bad thing to see the sport grow.
Wow, just wow.

Oh you're special alright!

This could be big if there was an option to stream, with decent features, for a smaller fee. I don't see the sport growing significantly because people who purchase the Extra Gold Platinum Diamond I'm-a-cable-exec-anyway are no where near as common as people who don't want to pay more for the top tiers, or want to get out of cable packages altogether.