Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Nov 2002, 11:18 (Ref:425619)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Minardi has Taken receipt of Cosworth Power

Reported in F1-Live, Minardi has already taken receipt of a 72 degree Ford Cosworth engine for testing purposes. This comes as good news for the many Minardi fans here, and the only sad part is the departure of Mark Webber from the team. Minardi has not finalised their driver lineup for next year, although there were strong rumours Jos will join the team. We can only hope that with Cosworth power, they will be able to land a decent driver next year. It would be nice if Ant gets the drive. Fingers crossed!!
Old 10 Nov 2002, 11:23 (Ref:425630)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like usual, Minardi are just taking their time with their driver line-up for next year.

But from all accounts, Jos is all but confirmed for one seat, which should make a certain forum member pleased.

Good to see that Minardi will also have some horses next year. About bloody time.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 11:29 (Ref:425632)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While there were rumours of a Ferrari engine, I think the Cossie is a good bet for Minardi. I presume the Ford is a lot cheaper than the Ferrari (?).

I hope they can get a bit of testing in. It could be a cause for concern with respect to reliability.

Will it be enough to move them up the grid a bit? I'm not so sure, but I wouldn't mind being wrong.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 11:35 (Ref:425636)   #4
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully it will at least allow them to close a bit of the gap to Jaguar and BAR.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 11:41 (Ref:425649)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least they've got enough power now they should be able to cling on to the back of the field. It's a shame they've got no immediate opposition as such, but it is pleasing.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 12:47 (Ref:425698)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
At the very least, it should keep them well within the 107% for qualifying.

Maybe the odd suprise finish too if the car suites a particular track (like Webber at Monaco this year).
Old 10 Nov 2002, 15:02 (Ref:425747)   #7
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It won't do alot for the team. They've had c-spec engines in the past, and it just makes for taking part in the race but nothing much else. Plus, since Arrows and Prost have cleared the field, Minardi is up against all factory- or semifactory teams. The gap will be huge. And when a obviously paranoid teamowner starts to opt for a driver who could merely accomplish a whopping total of 17 points in about 8 seasons and a handfull of shredded contracts, being out of a racingcar since octobre 2001, 2003 will be make or break and probably break. Give us Giancarlo Minardi, Red Bull money and if it must be, an American hopefull, then and only then Minardi has somewhat of a future in the direction in which F1 is heading.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 16:20 (Ref:425771)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jordan and Sauber are both essentially privateer teams and they have had no trouble consistantly beating Jaguar. I agree that Minardi will be unlikely to regurly be anything other than at best 18th and 20th fastest, though the new qualifying regs may give them a chance to start higher sometimes.

Paul Stoddart is not paranoid, he's simply dealing with all the challenges his team faces, which include the attitudes of other teams who consider his squad to be an inconvenience. I agree that Jos may not be the best possible driver signing now that McNish and De La Rosa are available, but sponsorship may be the issue.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 17:58 (Ref:425820)   #9
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Both Jordan and Sauber are much more factory-related than Minardi ever was and then In not even mentioning their superior budgets. Fact of the matter is, without Prost and Arrows, they are in an absolute sense even further back on the grid. Of course the new pointssystem wil bring them a better chance at scoring, but the new system is simply devaluating a WC-point.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 19:37 (Ref:425858)   #10
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I strongly think Minardi will climb the ladder this year
a real team to watch points Will come
Old 10 Nov 2002, 19:44 (Ref:425865)   #11
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isnt Minardi getting 2001-spec Cosworths? Thats hardly an advantage over the Asiatechs theyre using. Peugoet (supposedly) had one of the best engines in 2001 and they were pushing 792bhp, so what kind of gain if any are we talking about?
Old 10 Nov 2002, 19:56 (Ref:425871)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure that The Peugeot/Asiatech engine was that good. In the last year with Prost Alesi wasn't too impressed and said so. The Peugeot mechanics downed tools at the French GP until he apologised.

I reckon the 2001 spec. Cossies are better...

However, it is a shame that they don't get this year's engines!
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:11 (Ref:425875)   #13
JonesF1
Racer

Ok, sorry. I was thinking of 2000. This should be 'maybe' a 20+ bhp improvement over the Asiatechs. Hopefully theyll get some support from Ford-Cosworth but I doubt it.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 20:34 (Ref:425885)   #14
The Other Chris
Rookie

The Other Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a 2002 spec cosworth like jordans but i believe jordan will get more developed ones. this should be at least 40 hp up on the asiatech considering the asiatech was essentially a two year old peugeot.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 22:09 (Ref:425944)   #15
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

I believe they get use of the ones Arrows used (and didn't use) this last season. Again, it will be the oldest engine competing in Formula 1, so probably the least powerful one and the heaviest one. Apart from Jordan perhaps. Will the Jordan ones be Ford-badged?
Old 10 Nov 2002, 22:10 (Ref:425946)   #16
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Oh, and if im correctly informed, the 2002 Asiatech was a complete new design. No revamped Peugeot.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 22:15 (Ref:425951)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I think the Jordan one's will be Ford badged. Have all teh final details been sorted there?

I didn't know the Asiatach was a completely new design. It surprises me. In a way it is a shame they have left F1. I would like to see some private engine manufacturers around (like Hart), I think it added to the variety in F1.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 22:27 (Ref:425964)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I was about to say, every story I've read says they have taken possession of a 72 degree V10. Is'nt that the new one?
Old 10 Nov 2002, 22:52 (Ref:425990)   #19
JonesF1
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I think the Jordan one's will be Ford badged. Have all teh final details been sorted there?

I didn't know the Asiatach was a completely new design. It surprises me. In a way it is a shame they have left F1. I would like to see some private engine manufacturers around (like Hart), I think it added to the variety in F1.
Yes, Jordan will be wearing blue ovals next year. Theyll be running an upgraded version of this years engine I believe. Which isnt half bad because this years Cosworth was great but not many could tell since it was stuffed in the back of the R3.

Just 2 questions linger in my mind. How good will next years Honda be? Are Cosworth and US Ford still upset (I remember someone was) with EJ going over everyones head to get the Ford badge (the deal was made with a european VP)?

As for Asiatech being gone. I wouldnt consider that a real tragedy although it is a shame. They just couldnt keep up with the competition.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 00:42 (Ref:426053)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Asiatech was a lousy engine - let's not kid ourselves otherwise.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 01:26 (Ref:426071)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have thought that '02 Asiatech was a new design too...but yes, they aint up to scratch yet.

From F1-live, its believed that while Minardi will first test the '01 spec engine with an '01 spec Minardi PSO1, the team will eventually start next year with an upgraded version of this year's car fitted with this year's Cosworth.

Considering that Cosworth this year isn't the worse engine lying around the field, and in terms of weight (isn't it sub-100kg?) and power is competitive, though not class leading, i guess it does hold some improvement.

With reports that Renault is struggling to make their wide-vee work, with detuned power and revs, and Webber hinted that Jaguar is taking a "conservative" route to chassis design, we may see Minardi up and running well every now and then...
Old 11 Nov 2002, 05:05 (Ref:426140)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Depends who will be their drivers also. I think they will miss Mark a lot more than we realise.
Also, I read somewhere that Asiatech is kaput, finito, giving F1 away completely. Can't remember where.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 05:20 (Ref:426143)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Yes Valve, Asiatech ceased all operations on 31st October. They are deader than Arrows.

I think this engine will get them closer, but they'll still be regulars at the rear of the grid.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 19:53 (Ref:426585)   #24
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give the turns of speed Bernoldi and more frequently Frentzen showed this season, it's going to be a step up. Not much of one, but if they can show the pace they showed at Monaco and Indy etc, then Minardi can scrape a few points next season.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 22:41 (Ref:426684)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Yeah, we have points down to ten. However, it all depends on who their drivers will be. I am hoping it will be Jos and Ant, as this will set the cat among the pidgeons. With a good driver lineup, it is quite possible that Minardi may not be last on the grid anymore. I Irv gets the Jordan drive, maybe Sato will be the second driver - who knows?