Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Aug 2016, 23:48 (Ref:3663136)   #176
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Pither? assume that means he has gone, even though he just scored a pole and Superblacks best ever weekend
Unfortunately I assume because there will be no Superblack after this end of this year.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 01:09 (Ref:3663142)   #177
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Pither? assume that means he has gone, even though he just scored a pole and Superblacks best ever weekend
As Mixer said, there seems plenty of talk that SuperBlack wont go past the end of the season

The story going around was that the PRA owners may be taking that REC into their family of 3..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Aug 2016, 01:32 (Ref:3663144)   #178
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Any talk on Erebus #4
Old 3 Aug 2016, 02:19 (Ref:3663151)   #179
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... the boys over at Foxtel's Inside Supercars seem to have a few things to say about 2017...

James Courtney to Nissan!
Todd Kelly to stay at Nissan
Nick Percat to BJR!
Jack LeBrocq to the 4th PRA car!
Scott Pye to nowhere..
And they threw in Tander with a possible return to GRM. I haven't liked Tander much over the years, but a home-coming of sort back to GRM would be nice. I say that as a long time supporter of GRM, and think that him returning would see the team continue on nicely. However, I would say Tander to Nissan rather than James, mainly because of his prior dealing with the Kelly family. That seems a more logical fit than anything else.

They also threw in Moffat looking at a get out clause and becoming a full time enduro driver....which I find strange...

I must say that Phelps didn't like the other boys cutting his lunch on the musical chairs act, we all know he's king in that area...
Old 3 Aug 2016, 03:32 (Ref:3663154)   #180
MarcosAmbroseFan
Racer

New Zealand
Hamilton
MarcosAmbroseFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... the boys over at Foxtel's Inside Supercars seem to have a few things to say about 2017...

James Courtney to Nissan!
Todd Kelly to stay at Nissan
Nick Percat to BJR!
Jack LeBrocq to the 4th PRA car!
Scott Pye to nowhere..
I see Courtney at Nissan but not at their Supercars team. Could be at their potential Aust GT team with the GT-R alongside of the GT Academy winner or some thing.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3663156)   #181
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
And they threw in Tander with a possible return to GRM. I haven't liked Tander much over the years, but a home-coming of sort back to GRM would be nice. I say that as a long time supporter of GRM, and think that him returning would see the team continue on nicely. However, I would say Tander to Nissan rather than James, mainly because of his prior dealing with the Kelly family. That seems a more logical fit than anything else.

They also threw in Moffat looking at a get out clause and becoming a full time enduro driver....which I find strange...

I must say that Phelps didn't like the other boys cutting his lunch on the musical chairs act, we all know he's king in that area...
Nobody seems to know (other than the team) what technical package GRM will have for next season... it would be a risk to be there... unless Volvo reverse their decision somehow..

Wonder if any of the journos thought to ask?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Aug 2016, 04:05 (Ref:3663159)   #182
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosAmbroseFan View Post
I see Courtney at Nissan but not at their Supercars team. Could be at their potential Aust GT team with the GT-R alongside of the GT Academy winner or some thing.
whos going to fund that?
Old 6 Aug 2016, 02:36 (Ref:3663763)   #183
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's time to do a list guys. The news so far doesn't give anything re Caruso, Tander, Pye and others.

And is Garry Dumbrell Motorsport really back? Vale: HRT?
Old 6 Aug 2016, 03:20 (Ref:3663769)   #184
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the HRT moniker was coming to an end, regardless of ownership.
Old 6 Aug 2016, 04:00 (Ref:3663773)   #185
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
whos going to fund that?
Nissan?
Old 6 Aug 2016, 04:52 (Ref:3663780)   #186
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nissan and AusGT still haven't come to an agreement over who the entrant of the GTR should be, and who'll run it.

AusGT's stance remains at no factory involvement in their series at this point in time.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 05:01 (Ref:3665050)   #187
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are all GRM's eggs in the one basket?
Old 11 Aug 2016, 06:04 (Ref:3665060)   #188
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Volvo headquarters to sanction a continuation of the V8SC program would be a backdown. And corporate headquarters don't like doing backdowns. If GRM have been naive enough to think they could retain the S60s, when Volvo have made it perfectly clear it would not sanction, then more the fool them.

While obviously a body blow, 9 months should be ample time to make alternative arrangements. If Nissan don't renew with Kelly Racing, they will have a significantly smaller timeframe.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 06:07 (Ref:3665062)   #189
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
While obviously a body blow, 9 months should be ample time to make alternative arrangements. If Nissan don't renew with Kelly Racing, they will have a significantly smaller timeframe.
Yeah the notice for Volvo was obviously some time ago, not just now.

Kelly's is a different beast I think because they did all the development in-house as compared to Volvo/Polestar who was much more involved and built the engine OS.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3665066)   #190
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
True, I think Kelly Racing does everything in-house. Don't think GRM has had an engine shop for a long time, recall it sourced its Holden engines from HRT. The original Volvo program was announced in June 2013, so only an 8 month development timeframe, although things may have been happening in the background before then.

Last edited by anthony81901; 11 Aug 2016 at 06:34. Reason: quote not required
Old 11 Aug 2016, 06:56 (Ref:3665068)   #191
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
its saddens me that posters on here support a big multinational company over a small raceteam in australia. Not much home for Australia if this is the case.

Why would GRM want to give up their ability to race at the front to go back to a commodore of which they have no recent data on. Thats the worse case scenario, logically they should fight tooth and nail to keep their front running ability as long as possible
Old 11 Aug 2016, 07:19 (Ref:3665078)   #192
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Not about supporting a big multinational over an Australian race team, but dealing with reality. Looking at the world through rose tinted glasses isn't going to change things. GRM just need to accept the S60 isn't an option for 2017 and plan for the future based on that.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 09:52 (Ref:3665092)   #193
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Not about supporting a big multinational over an Australian race team, but dealing with reality. Looking at the world through rose tinted glasses isn't going to change things. GRM just need to accept the S60 isn't an option for 2017 and plan for the future based on that.
sure you are, why isnt it an option and why cant avenues to achieve this be investigated.

And just because publicly they are going this path doesn't mean they are not investigating Path B & C.

If anyone doesn't want the volvo on the grid next year and give there full support to gRM to achieve this then i question if they are a motosport fan
Old 11 Aug 2016, 10:04 (Ref:3665095)   #194
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
sure you are, why isnt it an option and why cant avenues to achieve this be investigated.
Well because it is Volvo's property and they decided they want it back. Legally I am pretty sure Garry will have problems racing it without their permission and I feel things are going to get murky from here.

Quote:
If anyone doesn't want the volvo on the grid next year and give there full support to gRM to achieve this then i question if they are a motosport fan
I don't WANT them to leave, but I'm also a realist - the statements out of the various parties in Sweden were brutally frank. I wonder if this is a tactic by Garry to allow him the extra year because obtaining the property back legally is m-u-u-rky legal territory. Given the mix of intellectual property between V8Supercars and Polestar/Cyan, and the legal boundaries involved, I don't fancy anybody's position in this actually.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 15:23 (Ref:3665145)   #195
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
We can hope that Volvo do change their mind, but being realistic, they are unlikely to. Corporate headquarters don't like being dictated to and/or back tracking and as much as we might dislike it, they hold the power. If anything resistance may just strengthen their resolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Well because it is Volvo's property and they decided they want it back. Legally I am pretty sure Garry will have problems racing it without their permission and I feel things are going to get murky from here.
For a car to compete in the series, V8SC require its use to be sanctioned by the manufacturer. So if Volvo won't sanction, then the S60 will not be eligible.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 21:49 (Ref:3665219)   #196
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

For a car to compete in the series, V8SC require its use to be sanctioned by the manufacturer. So if Volvo won't sanction, then the S60 will not be eligible.
not quite how it works, Because it was sanctioned it is now eligible, the taking away of the sanctioning doesn't change this
Old 11 Aug 2016, 21:56 (Ref:3665221)   #197
Umai Naa
Veteran

Yes it does.

Erebus went through the same problem.

It's either OK, or its not. It's up to whoever owns the IP to the grille badge.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 22:20 (Ref:3665224)   #198
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Yes it does.

Erebus went through the same problem.

It's either OK, or its not. It's up to whoever owns the IP to the grille badge.
I guess if that was correct it should be pretty easy to show me an article on it.

Except Im doubtful you will find one. Betty can still run a merc if she wanted too

The support was need at the beginning, but once its in its no longer needed.

the volvo issue is a legal issue regarding interpretation of a contract
Old 11 Aug 2016, 22:43 (Ref:3665226)   #199
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
It was written about when AMG and Erebus did not renew their initial 2 year deal. GRM's issues seem to revolve around both the ownership of the chassis, Volvo are claiming ownership and thus want them to go to Sweden, and also the ability to use the S60 bodyshape.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 22:49 (Ref:3665228)   #200
Umai Naa
Veteran

Erebus still had to get the ok to continue to use the Merc.

I'm they can switch back to using one this year, but perhaps not next year if MB's say-so was for only two years.