Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 24 Oct 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1748235)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spark Models

Does anyone out there collect Sparks 1/43 models, any views on the quality compared to Minichamps etc.?

I'm a big 1/18 fan but with my shelf space for 50 1/18's allocated I have to be very selective with new purchases.

Spark seem to have a great selection of Le Mans prototypes and I've found a US site selling them for £11-£15, so may start collecting.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 23:40 (Ref:1748270)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got a few Le Mans models from them, and they're great.

And £11-£15, great value! That's the only problem I had with Spark, they're a tad pricey, average £30 for a 1/43.

That said, their customer service is great, I emailed them once to see if I could get a replacement perspex cover for a cracked one, they sent me a whole new model! It was the sister car to the one I had aswell, which was even better in that case!
Old 25 Oct 2006, 02:42 (Ref:1748368)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm in the process of trying to find out what their next 1/18's will be, if they make the Pescarolo, Zytek, Dyson Lola, R10, RS Spyder (better quality than Norev RS) etc. I'll probably stick with 1/18, if not.......I maybe tempted with 1/43.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1748716)   #4
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Spark Models

If you collect Le Mans cars, especially in 1/43rd, Sparks are fantastic. With their sister brand Red-Line they produce pretty much the whole grid of each years Le Mans, and their customer service is superb as said.

They also produce many older cars as well. If you like the more unusual Le Mans subjects, try Bizarre Models. With regards price, whilst £30 isn't bad (considering that these are essentially hand-built models with limited runs) they can be found for under £25 in the UK (e.g. racingcarshop).

Mind you, wouldn't mind knowing who sells them for £11-£15, but beware import duty when buying in the UK from the US, depending on the sender, delivery method and customs themselves, you do get charged occassionally which removes all the savings.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1749077)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
EWA from the US.

I've ordered many thing from the US, a £100 order may cost you £16-£25 customs.

A few companies actually pay these charges or have 'customs friendly' packaging.

EWA currenty have a $20 shipping credit

I always figure in customs charges before buying.

http://www.ewa1.com/cgi-bin/sshp/sho...htm&&scount=61
Old 25 Oct 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1749285)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ordered from EWA once, but the customs charges are a shocker.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1750035)   #7
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

I use to make up a lot of white metal or resin 1/43 scale kits (even managed to sell a few to order) but what with getting married and having children this became more difficult to do. I then discovered Spark and their sister companies, Bizarre and Redline and they are well worth buying. They have a fantastic range of models. One of the first I bought was the "Momo" Ferrari 333 SP. Now in my wall mounted display cabinet I have three Porsche 956/962's side by side. A Minichamps "JDavid" 956, A Spark Models LM86 Rothmans 962 and a hand built Starter "Newman" 956. Its hard to see which is the best the standard is so good. Remember Minichamps are diecasts (metal) and Spark Models are resin.

I'm looking forward to the Spark Models McLaren M6A and the Bizarre Howmet TX is very tempting.

I was glad to see the EWA link as they have the Zytek 04S still listed. It seems a great price but whats all this about customs charges?

Nick
Old 26 Oct 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1750261)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
If over £21 and the package is stopped at customer you can be charged.

I was charged around £18 for a £140 package.

If you buy from Europe there are no charges.

http://www.modelissimo.de/Onlineshop...ontinue+++++++
Old 27 Oct 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1751207)   #9
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Jag

Thanks for your info. It would seem you would only get "stung" for customs if you ordered a lot of stuff. Its the Zytek 04S I'm interested in as I was a bit slow to get one in the UK and they've all seem to have gone from here. Mind you they have Shorty's Dallara Judd LM05 as well.

Nick
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1751449)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I have only two Spark models, 1 1:18 and 1 1:43, but I am pretty impressed with them. The 1:18 Champion Audi especially is a lovely car.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 01:17 (Ref:1751617)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You don't have to pay VAT of almost 20% if you order from the USA, am I correct?
Old 31 Oct 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1754210)   #12
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Hello Mountainstar

I have bought slot cars from the USA off an internet site and I pay the price that is listed. Whether that includes any extra VAT I wouldn't know.

Nick
Old 31 Oct 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1754239)   #13
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When buying from the States you don't pay any State taxes, i.e. the price you see is the price you pay. But, then you need to add shipping and factor in UK customs charges, should you get charged them. In theory any purchases over a certain value (I can't remember the exact amount but it isn't much) are subject to UK VAT, and that includes VAT on the shipping charges, plus a handling fee that the carrier levies on top. FedEx tend to send you a bill a couple of weeks after delivery.

e.g. Say you order 50 UKP worth of goods, then say pay 10 UKP in shipping charges, add VAT of about 10UKP and say 8 UKP handling and it starts to look less attractive. However, sometimes customs just don't bother checking.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1754807)   #14
Tim Dunlop
Racer

England
Derby, United Kingdom
Tim Dunlop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

I have approx 200 1/43 Le Mans cars by various manufacturers inc many by Spark. I really love Spark models and find there attention to detail very impressive. I do think they are a bit overpriced at around £29.99 here in the UK, however I tend to buy them a few months after their release when the price has dropped.
My most recent bargain was the 2006 Perscarolo, car number 17 which has only been released in the last few months. I managed to pick this up from E-Bay for £15.00. It was made even more of a bargain by the fact the seller only lives a couple of miles from my house so I picked it up rather than paying the postage.

The latest addition to my collection is another Spark model but this time it is the 1/18 scale Audi R8 that won Le Mans 2005.
Here are some pics: -

Heres one of the 1/18 scale and its smaller 1/43 scale sibling

This is a superb model and retails here in the UK for £48.99. Well worth the money.

Regards

Tim