Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 29 Oct 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1753004)   #1
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
eBay

Im currently selling stuff on eBay, I wont say what it is incase thats advertising, but I should make some money from it. Anyone else sell or find some great stuff on eBay?
Old 29 Oct 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1753037)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Yes.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1753052)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Me too.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1753140)   #4
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
Im currently selling stuff on eBay, I wont say what it is incase thats advertising, but I should make some money from it. Anyone else sell or find some great stuff on eBay?
I have made a small ammount of money using the e-Bay stock market (buy low, sell high) for almost two years. I am buying/selling Nikon camera equipment. Of course a significant amount of time is involved and I certainly wouldn't consider it as a livelyhood.

There are several pre-defined searches for which I receive automatic e-mail notification. From these I add the items I am intersted in to my watch list and follow them. If the price is still reasonable to me, I bid within the last 30 seconds. The over my limit items are usually removed before they get to the top of my watch list unless I need a current `what will they pay' estimate.

PM if you are intersted in any Nikon equipment or filters in various sizes including Cokin "P" series.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 02:54 (Ref:1753221)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've bought and sold thousands of items on ebay, mostly sold. I ran a full time ebay business for about 18 months after college back in the old days around the time people were just starting to get to know what ebay was. I was actually the first person to sell Formula 1 stuff on there on a regular basis.

What I found was time consuming was the shipping of the items. Packing everything so that it was secure and all that just eats up time. I got pretty tired of that. Especially when you had different types of things and different ways you have to package them. Also it takes a lot of research to both find good stuff to sell and also researching completed auctions on ebay to make sure you can make a profit.

I've even bought 2 cars on ebay.

ebay was fun but I moved on to other things that pay more and are more fun then sitting behind the computer. However I would recommend it as a job for a retiree or a college student because of the flexibility. And there is great satisfaction when you picked up something for $2 and then turned around and sold it for $150 on ebay. Doesn't happen often enough, but it is fun when it does.

I mostly do buying now. DVD's, stickers, shirts, CD's are the most common items I would buy on there.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1753285)   #6
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I actually collect all my collectables, and don't sell them .
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 30 Oct 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1753410)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I've bought quite a bit of stuff (anything from cd's to models to a lens for the camera).

I haven't sold anything myself but some of our rally spares have been sold recently to raise funds for the new car - so far everything we've put on there has sold so it's all good as far as we're concerned
Old 30 Oct 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1753791)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sold around 50 1/18 models as I can't display them all.

Currently got another 15-20 up for sale.

One model I bought for £30 from the US 2 years ago looks like it may go for £200+!

It's been boxed away for those 2 years!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1753801)   #9
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've sold a few things for more than I have paid for them. Love that, but it makes me doubly aware that a lot of things sell for far too much on ebay. Some people just like the convience of it being delivered I suppose.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1754698)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im selling some f1 videos and some old PS1 recased games at the mo, a day to go, no bids...
Old 31 Oct 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1754739)   #11
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do a lot of business on the local e-bay. I've found that there's always a buyer for all that stuff you have stored in your basement and know it will never be of any use to you. I've sold used water heaters, dismatled, 10 year old PCs, excercising equipment, gifts I hated, defective printers (inkjet printers are the creation of satan).....

I found it's pretty convinient for PC enthusiast such as myself because it reduces upgrading costs as you can just sell the old component, therefore reducing the bill for the new one.

However, for those who are starting up a bit of advice: be realistic and honest about what you're selling. If it's broken, scratched, defective or whatever, say it. Also, if it's used it's not going to cost even near a new item.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1754761)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
im selling some f1 videos and some old PS1 recased games at the mo, a day to go, no bids...
Wouldn't worry too much yet. Back in the old days when I started people had no clue what they were doing so they bid right away when they saw something. Now everyone waits until the last minute to bid. If they don't sell, adjust your price, change the category maybe, etc. Also I have found over the past 8 years my best success comes when my auctions end on saturday afternoon.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1754795)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have a couple of models with no bids, but 30+ people watching.

They must think they can pick them up cheaply, but everyone has the same idea.
Old 1 Nov 2006, 00:29 (Ref:1754857)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I have a couple of models with no bids, but 30+ people watching.

They must think they can pick them up cheaply, but everyone has the same idea.
Some of the watchers may be competitors watching prices.
Old 4 Nov 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1757778)   #15
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Exactly...have quite a few models at the moment, too!