Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Dec 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3344039)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
One simple typo..........

Yup, Mini will be remembered well after we are gone!
Old 15 Dec 2013, 10:27 (Ref:3344244)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes the Mini is an Icon, but I could never get excited about it. Just to be contentious, I always preferred the Imp even though I accept that it was not anything like as innovative and had teething problems.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3344247)   #28
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
..... and had teething problems.
Indeed John! But didn't we all?
Old 15 Dec 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3344252)   #29
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with John on the Mini/Imp debate. When I was 10 or thereabouts my brother was rallying Imps and he and his mates timed an engine swop at 8 minutes which I thought was pretty amazing. Just as well it was so easy as when I got my first car - an Imp - it became a weekly event, bloody head gaskets. My second car was also an Imp. I'm a slow learner!

I'll concede the Mini is a treasure even though I never liked them. The Imp sadly doesn't quite make it into the treasure box, but neither was it a folly.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3344256)   #30
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Who would not covet the chance to race an ERA, Bob ? Great picture, I still look at it.

A Mustang ???!! My dear, I would not touch one with the tip of my parasol ! Chev Camaro, please ...
A Lancia Aprilia is the thinking man's car, I trust it would find a place on the List of Italian Automotive Treasures.
Nick
Big Yank! They all look the same to me.

Aprilia? Trouble is most Italian cars are treasures, so many beautiful designs, works of art in many cases.

Yes, I am sure some Educated Richard will bring up Fiat Rust Boxes, but we are talking overall here.

Let's face it I some obscure part of the world a Skoda will be regarded as a monument to good taste.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3344260)   #31
Mistron
Rookie

Mistron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I always preferred the Imp even though I accept that it was not anything like as innovative
I'm not sure that's true. The Imp was very innovative with it's layout and teatures like the pneumatic throttle on the early cars.

In many ways it could be argued that it was the innovative features which put people off, what with it's weird rear mounted water cooled engine etc. Too innovative for the average 'man in the street'

Al
Old 15 Dec 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3344273)   #32
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistron View Post
The Imp was very innovative..........

In many ways it could be argued that it was the innovative features which put people off, what with it's weird rear mounted water cooled engine etc. Too innovative for the average 'man in the street'
That engine was based on the Coventry Climax and when the designer, Mike Parkes originally conceived the car, the engine was precisely the same cylinder centres etc as the legendary Climax.

Since Parkes, was thinking ahead and could see a very quick Imp coming from simply swapping the head for a Climax double knocker etc.

However, Rootes Group, then in terminal decline, changed the eventual engine design; and Mike soon after left and joined Ferrari.

The Commendatore thought so very highly of Mike's abilities, they even tried to stretch an F1 chassis to accommodate Parkes height!

Didn't handle with the extra wheelbase.

Had a number: worked on many. With simple suspension mods the later Chamois, with sticky tyres corned like a single seater, if one knew how to drive them. Ran one of those for a bit; mainly since I took it as a PX with 9 months tax on the 'screen and only circa 10,000 on the clock.

The Davrian wasn't exactly slow, either; built one tweaky version up from base for a customer and it was very quick........
Old 15 Dec 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3344327)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, the Imp was a great little car. Equally deserving of Treasured status.

In fact it is surprising the number of smaller cars that could be described as gems. What about the FIAT 500 as an example? I know not British but a small car with great heart.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3344517)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very pleased to see the Imp support; was expecting to get castigated about my Mini comments!
Old 16 Dec 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3344542)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I never owned an Imp but have driven a few. Great balance I thought.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 13:22 (Ref:3344570)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I never owned an Imp but have driven a few. Great balance I thought.
I can remember changing water pumps and head gaskets in period.....

One thing the Imp and a lot of it's contemporaries were not good at was protecting occupants in accidents, especially front end. With no engine up front there was very little to absorb an impact.

I would have liked the chance to rally one, however, with all that traction!
Old 16 Dec 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3344582)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agreed, I never owned one but changed cylinder head gaskets and water pumps regularly until I fell out with that particular lady.

As far as crumple zones are concerned it's surely irrelevant? We aren't talking about the safest treasures, just the treasures. And as a point of order, I know someone who wrecked a Peugeot 205 and survived. That someone made a point of telling me that, said car was equipped with an alloy cage.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 16:23 (Ref:3344623)   #38
bauble
Veteran

England
I once hired an Imp, and often received a lift from a friend who owned one, but I would never thought of them as a 'treasure', it just goes to show have we all differ in these things.

For myself I have always loved the;

I thought that some one from the forum would have mentioned the;

..by now.

But to show I am not biased in anyway ...

Last edited by bauble; 16 Dec 2013 at 16:28.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3344634)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The first is purity of line, the second is a demonstration of willpower over finance and the third is doing what it was made for. Never a road car at all.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3344635)   #40
bauble
Veteran

England

No Comment!
Old 16 Dec 2013, 17:06 (Ref:3344647)   #41
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the MGB has been mentioned! Can I come out of the closet now?

(The MGB closet that is).
Old 16 Dec 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3344649)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've got two.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3344671)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I've got two.
That's just greedy- or is the second for spares....

Apologies for the irrelevant mention of safety standards on treasures! It was in my head as a friend's teenage daughter is keen on original Minis. I suggested it would be a good choice for first car when she reaches 17. "Certainly not", was the reply, "it will be something modern and boring with airbags, abs and crumple zones"......

Old 16 Dec 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3344730)   #44
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Apologies for the irrelevant mention of safety standards on treasures! It was in my head as a friend's teenage daughter is keen on original Minis. I suggested it would be a good choice for first car when she reaches 17. "Certainly not", was the reply, "it will be something modern and boring with airbags, abs and crumple zones"......

As you have gorn orf at a tangent to the original thread, may I add that maybe all these safety features could well be "responsible" for some of the tragic accidents that befall youngsters nowadays. They believe that with all the "cotton wool" surrounding them in modern cars makes them indestructible, whereas, well certainly my friends and I, we knew what the dangers were. It also helped that we knew what made our cars go, and what made them stop, and most of us maintained our own cars.

Back to the thread, I had a brand new Imp in '66 which I had to '69 (it was my first proper car - previously I had had two second hand bangers, a Triumph Herald and a Renault Dauphine (the first taught me how to cope with chronic understeer whilst the second taught me how to find gears that seemed almost impossible to locate). I loved the Imp, and it handled beautifully, although it needed a little breathing on to make it go a little faster.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3344765)   #45
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is then and now we are talking here is one from me.

When I had a year old Clan Crusader in my youth it was a treasure but looking at the four I have now in my dotage it is a folly.

Great concept poorly carried out.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3344774)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know someone who wrecked a Peugeot 205 and survived.

My son has done that. He took it apart, virtually every nut and bolt. The 'shell' sits in my front garden. I've been waiting for him to screw it back together for 3 years.......
Old 17 Dec 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3344900)   #47
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
My son has done that. He took it apart, virtually every nut and bolt. The 'shell' sits in my front garden. I've been waiting for him to screw it back together for 3 years.......
I have had a 205 1.9 diesel with a tow bar that I have been using for a shunt car around the workshop for years, although I hav'nt used it for probably a year sitting outside I clipped a battery on it yesterday and it started first turn.
I know it's French but I can't knock it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Dec 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3345137)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wish I could knock nipper's - into someone else's garden.........