Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Jan 2020, 14:26 (Ref:3952746)   #1
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Poultry 2020 Rolex 24 Hours of 1801 W International Speedway Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Cars hit track in about 3 hours, main show tomorrow. How's about a race thread then?

Feels like a lot, but also not a lot to talk about heading into the weekend. We've seen some withdrawals for the 24, and the Pilot Challenge race has an increased entry from last year.

Not expecting many yellows with the quality over quantity feel of the field.

Last year my daughter spent much of her second day on earth watching the race on my hospital room dual-laptop set up. Being a rose colored glass wearing alms fan, Le Mans is the 24 and Daytona is something to do during January. But now this race will forever be associated with my daughter's arrival/birthday parties, and is taking on a completely different place in my heart. Race day will be her 1st birthday, and I've got some creative scheduling work to make sure cake smashing/guests don't interfere with the green flag.

Links:
Schedule

Entry List

Spotter's Guide

Weather - Cold today, two great Florida Spring days followed by great Florida winter days for the race.

IMSA Timing - Will post the alternative James Muscat link (personal preference but same data) later in the week

Session Results

Internet Streaming (North American NBC Track Pass - $2.99/ month, should show all races maybe sans Ferrari Challenge, NBC comms). International imsa.tv options should be carryover from last year.

Link to this thread

Fun Links:

Magnus Lego

Magnus Real Truth in 24

Lugg Nutt drinking game (admittedly 2019 specific, but probably lots to go on if you scratch out Alonso and pencil in Kurt Busch)

Additional drinking:
- Mention of first race for C8 and/or new 911
- Mention of first year with no Ford GT
- Mention of record distance
- Mention of Doonan's first race in new position
- Someone asks Doonan if it's hard not to root for Mazda or mentions "previous employer"
- Maskedracer posts some definitive statement using "We all know/want/believe" language & we don't all actually know/want/believe. (Finish your drink)
- Mazda catches fire (Finish your drink)
- Mazda wins (Finish the bottle)

Any other suggestions?
Old 22 Jan 2020, 14:34 (Ref:3952749)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’ve been looking for an international stream to watch in the U.K. that didn’t require a trackpass. Not found one yet- or maybe just not live.....
Old 22 Jan 2020, 14:37 (Ref:3952750)   #3
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Imsa.tv should stream prototype and pilot challenge races, weathertech qualifying and race. Should. Unless that's been changed.
Old 22 Jan 2020, 14:42 (Ref:3952752)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Thanks for the race thread, and an early Happy Birthday to your daughter!
Old 22 Jan 2020, 14:46 (Ref:3952755)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So is this the first annual running of the 24 hours of International Speedway Blvd? Love it, seanyb!

I did watch a short film the other day about the 1959 running (and only running) of the USAC / Indy Car race there. Crazy, scary stuff.

Anyways, thanks for the thread. This is about the time I come out of hibernation and start paying attention again by studying the entry and schedule. Oh, gotta get after the schedule and start deciding if I want to go to a show Saturday night or not.
Old 22 Jan 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3952757)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Imsa.tv should stream prototype and pilot challenge races, weathertech qualifying and race. Should. Unless that's been changed.
Thanks- and for starting the thread!

I’ve found IMSA TV, and it’s showing the schedule at least......
Old 22 Jan 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3952777)   #7
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks- and for starting the thread!

I’ve found IMSA TV, and it’s showing the schedule at least......
IMSA TV will work for you in the UK.
Old 22 Jan 2020, 18:37 (Ref:3952791)   #8
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Won't get to be at the track this year. Could not make it to Florida. I was last at the 2018 race.

Hope they solve the biggest issue for spectators there which is this: There needs to be a tram that takes human beings from the pedestrian bridge over Int Speed Blvd which is closer to nascar turn 4 to the tram stop that takes people to the infield which is at nascar turn 1. That is a LONG walk.
Old 22 Jan 2020, 20:38 (Ref:3952816)   #9
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I love that the full postal address of the Speedway is in the title of the thread .

I'm very much looking forward to this. It's my second favourite trip of the year after the Nurburgring 24 - great crowd, great facility, great racing.

Weather forecast is showing two days of unbroken sun, a lovely change from last year's deluge and from the extraordinary experience two weeks ago of seeing a race in the desert rained off.

Old 23 Jan 2020, 01:52 (Ref:3952848)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
IMSA TV will work for you in the UK.
Yeah that’s how I’ve watched in the past. Oddly not as easy now I’m in the same country.

I’ve got NBC so can see most of it, but there are a few hours it misses.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 01:53 (Ref:3952849)   #11
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Time to start-up the annual "Which hour will the Mazda's catch on fire?" poll.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 04:35 (Ref:3952857)   #12
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Theres 2 of them... I'll take hours 3 (just past sprint race time) and 22. It will be in contention in hour 22, giving hope, still getting some John doonan optimism, then poof.... soon after an interview with doonan, and oh so close to the end, the second will go up in a familiar blaze of infamy.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 12:47 (Ref:3952920)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Theres 2 of them... I'll take hours 3 (just past sprint race time) and 22. It will be in contention in hour 22, giving hope, still getting some John doonan optimism, then poof.... soon after an interview with doonan, and oh so close to the end, the second will go up in a familiar blaze of infamy.
If it does, and they have actually run well lately, but if a Mazda goes boom I'll put money on it happening when they are talking with or about Doonan. That would be peak Mazda in all their glory. OR if Chris Dyson is around and they're talking with him about his possible Mazda DPi and the AER engine, BOOM goes the confetti (or in this case turbo oil)
Old 23 Jan 2020, 12:58 (Ref:3952922)   #14
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Thats a good one. I can see them breaking anytime after 1 am into the morning. The pace will be relentless in this one. Remember in 2018 the #5 Cadillac at one point ended up with a 3 lap lead because the compeition ran into issues with the constant green flag running. Which I hope is what happpens again. 2018 is the benchmark to what I want this and future Daytona 24's to be like.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3952937)   #15
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Thats a good one. I can see them breaking anytime after 1 am into the morning. The pace will be relentless in this one. Remember in 2018 the #5 Cadillac at one point ended up with a 3 lap lead because the compeition ran into issues with the constant green flag running. Which I hope is what happpens again. 2018 is the benchmark to what I want this and future Daytona 24's to be like.
I enjoyed all the green that year too. It requires a different race strategy than we are accustomed to at Daytona with all the typical yellows. That being said I am less optimistic than a lower car count will equal fewer yellow flags. there are still going to be periods of cars being together in the corners and I think that will come into play. there is always the cold weather at night too which catches people out on new tires.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3952946)   #16
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Practice 1 about to start, no pictures but radio as ever.
https://timing.71wytham.org.uk/s/imsa for the detailed timing
Old 23 Jan 2020, 15:06 (Ref:3952947)   #17
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
Thanks. That's my preferred too, but it's blocked at work which is highly unusual.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 15:29 (Ref:3952952)   #18
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Yeah that’s how I’ve watched in the past. Oddly not as easy now I’m in the same country.

I’ve got NBC so can see most of it, but there are a few hours it misses.
Welcome, my Friend!!! Hope you enjoy the infomercial that is American racing "coverage". I have the IMSA app on my TV. I'd pay 10 bucks, 20 bucks, maybe more to watch the whole thing commercial free (or at least commercial reduced).

I'll go to the media thread now to gripe a little more, if you're interested.

Quote:
Everyone notice how joeb dodged this so eloquently?
Old 23 Jan 2020, 15:32 (Ref:3952954)   #19
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Welcome, my Friend!!! Hope you enjoy the infomercial that is American racing "coverage". I have the IMSA app on my TV. I'd pay 10 bucks, 20 bucks, maybe more to watch the whole thing commercial free (or at least commercial reduced).

I'll go to the media thread now to gripe a little more, if you're interested.

Everyone notice how joeb dodged this so eloquently?

The thread originally had a poll for when Mazda would kablaam, but now it's gone??? (Totally kidding)
Old 23 Jan 2020, 15:35 (Ref:3952956)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
The thread originally had a poll for when Mazda would kablaam, but now it's gone??? (Totally kidding)
Old 23 Jan 2020, 18:28 (Ref:3952986)   #21
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Typing this post while practice 2 is going on. Would love to see in the qualifying session for the GTD pole to get in the 1 min 44's and GTLM to get in the 1 min 41s.

Edit: just remembered/previously forgot that GTD runs silver/bronze drivers in qualifying. I think the fastest race lap in GTD in 2019 was faster than the pole because of that.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3952988)   #22
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Oh boy...might be down to 37. Trenton Estep binged the #54 Porsche. Sounds like a driver error.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/b...ractice-crash/
Old 23 Jan 2020, 21:08 (Ref:3953008)   #23
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
So shouldn't I be able to watch qualifying on imsa.tv live right now? It just says it will be starting soon....
Old 23 Jan 2020, 22:23 (Ref:3953017)   #24
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what can I say.... mazdas on fire on thursday metaphorically, likely mazdas on fire on saturday/sunday not metaphorically
Old 23 Jan 2020, 23:30 (Ref:3953024)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Oh boy...might be down to 37. Trenton Estep binged the #54 Porsche. Sounds like a driver error.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/b...ractice-crash/
Man, Pappas has a hella collection of bent 911 parts