Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Nov 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2343975)   #1
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club Memberships and Licensing

Hi all,
Despite the economic downturn and better judgement that comes from having common sense, I've decided to get more involved in historic racing this coming year. I'm looking to get a national level licence here in Germany from the DSMB, a fellow forum member has directed me to an English speaking ARDS instructor here. But there's a snag in my plan as the clubs that I'm interested in joining are all UK based and it appears that they require an MSA licence to join. I do know that certain events in the UK permit an equivalent foreign national level licence to participate, but club membership is a question. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?
Old 29 Nov 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2343999)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Ask MSA direct.They will tell you exactly what you can do but suggest Nat A is possible
Old 29 Nov 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2344006)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
There are quite a few races that you can do on a Nat A licence both in the UK and the continent without having to belong to any club unless stated.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Nov 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2344172)   #4
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not just jump on a plane and do your licence in England? It is quick and very easy.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2344177)   #5
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
Why not just jump on a plane and do your licence in England? It is quick and very easy.
That was my initial idea, however I have to admit silly as it may sound that I've not had very many experiences driving RHD and at that only on the road. So I do wonder if having that tiny bit of second-guessing whilst at some speed in a test situation may not be wise...It does make me ask myself if that is an indicator of my being in over my head in the first place, hmm.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2344188)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Roger is spot on Smoky Stove. You can PM me if you want and i will give you my phone no then sort it all out for you if you want. No Probs.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2344245)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
RHD or LHD .Its not a problem and as most circuits are clockwise RHD puts you on inside most corners which is ideal when you start.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2344249)   #8
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
RHD puts you on inside most corners which is ideal when you start.
True, I hadn't thought of that advantage. But I'd just hate to be the main character in the instructor's story down at the pub that night about the Yank who kept grabbing the doorhandle to downshift.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2344251)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

They have seen it all before and probably understand the term downshift.
If you want to do it there are no problems.
If you want to talk about options then stay on here and read the rubbish!
Old 30 Nov 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2344253)   #10
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Smoky, I've sent you a PM.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2344259)   #11
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Thanks for your time and advice gents, looks like I'll be contacting Delta soon and doing it in the UK.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2345002)   #12
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smoky - just be aware that if you are racing with Clubs in the UK, you DO need to be a member of at least one MSA registered Club. If you are not, then you are not insured (by the MSA) when you sign on at a meeting. All Clubs have "entries by invitation", so for instance the CSCC will also allow members of HSCC, 750 etc to race in, say, allcomers races. However, to join a Series or Championship you do need to join the relevant Club. The CSCC was £30 membership and £90 registration for the Swinging Sixties etc as I recall last year. I don't recall there being an obligation to have an MSA issued licence when you join a club. There are many Club members (who don't race) who have no race licence, they join for the Newsletters.

Good luck
Old 1 Dec 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2345048)   #13
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueWench
Smoky - just be aware that if you are racing with Clubs in the UK, you DO need to be a member of at least one MSA registered Club.
Thanks Torquewench, that is one of the factors that made me search for a UK based club. The HSCC is one that I'm interested in, as my car once prepared would be eligible in their Historic Road Sports events. But they DO require an MSA licence for their "Novice Membership" package, so that's what made me changing my mind about doing the ARDS in Germany. In the meantime I think I'll join the SEMSEC to do some sprinting to hone skills, and will nevertheless contact Ron down at RSR at the Ring to get some tuition next year, so thanks again for recommending me to him.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2351759)   #14
Moby
Rookie

Moby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smokystove, remember the ARDS test is more about awareness / knowledge and proving that your driving will not present a safety hazard to either yourself or others, its not a performance test. Otherwise half of us wouldn't qualify to have a licence in the first place.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2351921)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I joined everything when I first started, and went to Int C as fast as I could . . . got all excited and thought about putting racing driver on my passpport renewal when I realised I was being a self overinflated ******** like most of the rest . . . . Nat A is as much as one needs to have a great time all over the place and I've probably saved a 1 hour race per year in wasted money . . . .
Old 10 Dec 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2351924)   #16
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry but wots a ********.? Ive said before thats what im going to do for 2010 unless Monaco happens.