Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Dec 2012, 02:13 (Ref:3180234)   #126
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky snake View Post
During years the VRH35 powered a lot of nissan race cars and has existed in at least 5 really different versions , but like the VRH50A, the VRH35A/D/E/L/Z, the VRH34A/B and the mclaren/ricardo M838T share the same base. Is a fact not an opinion. If nissan has been able to obtain a NA 5.0 starting from the same base of a turbo 3.5 design, mclaren automotive could do it as well if find some good technical partner. (the prefix VRH is for V the v shape, R for racing and H as the 8) [/url]
So VRH is just the name of Nissan's pure race engines. Do you have proof that the Nissan turbo V8 became the McLaren engine? I'm pretty sure they've gone for a new and modern design, but hey...
Old 20 Dec 2012, 02:54 (Ref:3180243)   #127
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I found what seems to be all the info there is about the link between the 2 engines: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...kledown-page-2

Apparently McLaren looked at the VRH35 when they started designing their engine and only the bore dimensions are similar. McLaren also boast about their all new design and how light (1980s-90s VRH35 was 170kg, not light), modern (design first raced in 1989) and efficient their engine is. I'm not sure any parts would fit between the two - but I'd sure love to read more about the design process.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 07:03 (Ref:3180296)   #128
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
Well I found what seems to be all the info there is about the link between the 2 engines: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...kledown-page-2

Apparently McLaren looked at the VRH35 when they started designing their engine and only the bore dimensions are similar. McLaren also boast about their all new design and how light (1980s-90s VRH35 was 170kg, not light), modern (design first raced in 1989) and efficient their engine is. I'm not sure any parts would fit between the two - but I'd sure love to read more about the design process.
I always thought that the McLaren engine was build by Cosworth!?
Old 20 Dec 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3180298)   #129
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Negative, Ricardo.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3180841)   #130
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Second Ricardo. I think they also do the transmission...
Old 22 Dec 2012, 04:15 (Ref:3180997)   #131
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Negative, the 7-speed SSG is made by Graziano.

The GT3s race gearbox however is made by Ricardo (based off their SuperGT unit iirc).

Last edited by MitchZ06; 22 Dec 2012 at 04:23.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3181397)   #132
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Sale: Two 2012 McLaren MP4-12C GT3′s by Gemballa Racing

Seems that the Gemballa Racing, that team which had one of the best MP412C liveries out there, didn't live too much long, it's a pity when a cool livery is lost, we will allways have the Gulf racing livery but that fits on any racing car.

Old 23 Dec 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3181398)   #133
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post
For Sale: Two 2012 McLaren MP4-12C GT3′s by Gemballa Racing

Seems that the Gemballa Racing, that team which had one of the best MP412C liveries out there, didn't live too much long, it's a pity when a cool livery is lost, we will allways have the Gulf racing livery but that fits on any racing car.

Quote:
Additionally, Iridium Automotive AG is offering to convert the GT3 racers into road-legal Can-Am versions.
Road legal Can-Am versions. What do they mean with that?
Old 23 Dec 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3181402)   #134
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
McLaren Shows MP4-12C Can-Am Edition (http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/spor...on-280335.html)
Old 23 Dec 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3181412)   #135
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-15006.html

Hexis to BES in Pro Cup, with Stef Dusseldorp, Alexander Sims and Fred Makowiecki in the full-season McLaren. Second car expected for Spa 24h.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3181444)   #136
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post

Hexis to BES in Pro Cup, with Stef Dusseldorp, Alexander Sims and Fred Makowiecki in the full-season McLaren. Second car expected for Spa 24h.
Oh yeah!!! Fantastic. Is Sims a McLaren factory driver? I'm sure he was but not 100%.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3181459)   #137
sukispeed
Rookie

United States
San Antonio, TX
sukispeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post

The Engish version has Alvaro Parente from Portugal, Alexander Sims from England and Dutchman Stef Dusseldorp not Fred Makowiecki.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3181482)   #138
GregoryDG
Racer

Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
GregoryDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukispeed View Post
The Engish version has Alvaro Parente from Portugal, Alexander Sims from England and Dutchman Stef Dusseldorp not Fred Makowiecki.
I wouldn't be surprised if Makowiecki leaves Hexis. He isn't racing for them in French GT and now neither in Blancpain, so my guess is we'll see him driving for another team next year (maybe Loeb's?)
Old 23 Dec 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3181498)   #139
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryDG View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Makowiecki leaves Hexis. He isn't racing for them in French GT and now neither in Blancpain, so my guess is we'll see him driving for another team next year (maybe Loeb's?)
Or AMR.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3181505)   #140
GregoryDG
Racer

Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
GregoryDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Or AMR.
Indeed Almost forgot about Mako testing for AMR a couple of weeks ago.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 23:52 (Ref:3181508)   #141
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mako is probably the hottest property in GT racing right now.

It's just about which manufacturer can offer him the best deal.
Old 24 Dec 2012, 01:17 (Ref:3181525)   #142
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
McLaren really needs to grab Mako, he was just unstoppable in the 12C this year once they got the reliability sorted, him doing stints in a 12C at Spa would just be amazing to watch.
Old 25 Dec 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3181850)   #143
sukispeed
Rookie

United States
San Antonio, TX
sukispeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
McLaren really needs to grab Mako, he was just unstoppable in the 12C this year once they got the reliability sorted, him doing stints in a 12C at Spa would just be amazing to watch.
He is just about unstoppable in every things he drives; He should have been a factory driver years ago.
Old 31 Jan 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3196546)   #144
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
I see alot of good GT drivers at the MP4-28 launch....
Old 31 Jan 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3196582)   #145
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
I see alot of good GT drivers at the MP4-28 launch....
G.Goodwin mentolioned on MWM that, with the way things are going (BoP, waivers), he doesn't see MP4-12 GTE being developed.

Is there a chance McLaren may 'pull a Z4' and expand their market to GTE with little effort/expense?

Last edited by Pandamasque; 31 Jan 2013 at 14:11.
Old 31 Jan 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3196587)   #146
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
The GT3 car was designed as a GT2 first then let run in GT3 (there has been speculation that that is why it wasn't as fast as the other GT3s early on). So you'd expect everything about it to be allowed in should McLaren ask the ACO to take the GT3 version as a GTE.
Old 31 Jan 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3196594)   #147
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
G.Goodwin mentolioned on MWM that, with the way things are going (BoP, waivers), he doesn't see MP4-12 GTE being developed.

Is there a chance McLaren may 'pull a Z4' and expand their market to GTE with little effort/expense?
I'm not sure if you are referring to last night's which I didn't hear or the week before but on that show GG said it wouldn't be getting made - not a question of development. The project is dead.

I'm not sure if there is a source kicking around (other than Hindy) anywhere but I'm not sure I buy the whole idea that it was designed as a GTE car.
Old 31 Jan 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3196611)   #148
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I meant the previous show. He didn't say it categorically, I think he meant that IN HIS OPINION a GTE project is unlikely, as it makes little sense, considering GTE is practically turning into GT3.

Of course Graham is always welcome to clarify here
Old 31 Jan 2013, 15:35 (Ref:3196615)   #149
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Wouldn't mind hearing a clarification

As a McLaren fanatic I'm kinda annoyed in a way as I'd like to support McLaren in multiclass sportscar racing against the factory teams from BMW, Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, Viper. Hexis kicking arse in GT only series' is what I look forward to but I'd absolutely love to see them in GTE.
Old 31 Jan 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3196627)   #150
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yeah I'm with you on that one. Desperately want them to return to Le Mans. Was hoping it would be sooner rather than later.