Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Jun 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3832872)   #151
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exciting race today, yesterday was also good. Wittmann did a stellar job to convert P7 into the victory but Mortara had a great weekend. Hopefully Edo will stay in DTM after Mercedes' exit, he and Wittmann are one of my favourite drivers in the field.
The loser of the race is Paffett for me, not for his result but because of his whining. He was so miserable shouting to the radio when he couldn't pass Glock and then remarking 'these drivers are ridiculous' after he went wide and lost a few position. This guy needs to remember that he's not the only one that can race hard. Hopefully he'll disappear from the DTM after Mercs exit, the series doesn't need such a moaner.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3833050)   #152
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Speedweek, Aston Martin was going to announce an entry for the 2020 season. But they wanted guarantees from BMW and Audi, that they both will continue to compete in DTM, something which Audi alledgedly didn't want to give, due to recent developments in the diesel scandal. Now, the announcement is expected for the weekend at Zandvoort.

According the Auto, Motor und Sport, Red Bull may enter as the main sponsor for Aston Martin in 2020. It makes sense, given their cooperation in the Valkyre project. Also, Gerhard Berger und Didi Matteschitz know each other, so maybe Gerhard could convince the latter to invest in DTM once again.

Given Aston's cooperation with Mercedes, I think they may even inherit some of their remaining DTM parts and perhaps even drivers.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3833053)   #153
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
According to Speedweek, Aston Martin was going to announce an entry for the 2020 season. But they wanted guarantees from BMW and Audi, that they both will continue to compete in DTM, something which Audi alledgedly didn't want to give, due to recent developments in the diesel scandal. Now, the announcement is expected for the weekend at Zandvoort.

According the Auto, Motor und Sport, Red Bull may enter as the main sponsor for Aston Martin in 2020. It makes sense, given their cooperation in the Valkyre project. Also, Gerhard Berger und Didi Matteschitz know each other, so maybe Gerhard could convince the latter to invest in DTM once again.

Given Aston's cooperation with Mercedes, I think they may even inherit some of their remaining DTM parts and perhaps even drivers.
Interesting. Aston Martin do seem to be involved in rumours about just about every championship going but the points you make do make sense. In theory Aston could take the existing Mercedes chassis and throw an Aston Martin body over it - given how little the DTM cars share with the road car (is it even anything now?).
Old 25 Jun 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3833065)   #154
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Interesting. Aston Martin do seem to be involved in rumours about just about every championship going but the points you make do make sense. In theory Aston could take the existing Mercedes chassis and throw an Aston Martin body over it - given how little the DTM cars share with the road car (is it even anything now?).

Exactly. The only things under the hood that are supposed to change under the new regs are cooling vents for the new engine and brakes. The aero changes are relatively minimal and are supposed to make DTM cars look like Super GT cars - could it mean an end for DRS?

I don't know if Mercedes has done some rudimentary development for 2019. But maybe Aston Martin could pay HWA, so they could develop some new parts for 2019 after all. If Aston already wants to enter next year.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3833082)   #155
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Which car will they enter?
Old 25 Jun 2018, 20:38 (Ref:3833100)   #156
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all seems interesting, however will Audi be sure about their future at Zandvoort? Nevertheless, I'd love to see Aston Martin in the championship and the Red Bull-backed entry would make sense. Let's wait and see. I won't believe it until I see it.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3833117)   #157
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Exciting race today, yesterday was also good. Wittmann did a stellar job to convert P7 into the victory but Mortara had a great weekend. Hopefully Edo will stay in DTM after Mercedes' exit, he and Wittmann are one of my favourite drivers in the field.
The loser of the race is Paffett for me, not for his result but because of his whining. He was so miserable shouting to the radio when he couldn't pass Glock and then remarking 'these drivers are ridiculous' after he went wide and lost a few position. This guy needs to remember that he's not the only one that can race hard. Hopefully he'll disappear from the DTM after Mercs exit, the series doesn't need such a moaner.
Interesting take on last weekends racing, I just returned home from the event (it's a bit of a drive from the UK). I can finally tick the Norisring off my list! Overall, I enjoyed the weekend. I found the history of the place much more interesting than the track action I'm afraid. There are various information boards around the tribune and circuit perimeter explaining the history and just how much of an ambitious arena it was intended to be. Well worth going there for this alone I feel. The areas inside the old city walls are quite charming with the cathedrals and so on. The outskirts does look like the part of East London I grew up in! I think run-down/economically deprived/industrial wasteland will be putting it mildly!

Anyway, I found Saturday's race was the better of the two; Mortara was impressive indeed. Wittman too on Sunday but the Sunday race was quite dull from where I was sat (main tribune). It seemed nobody could pass on Sunday, they filed past lap after lap in a single file. A major disappointment for me was the cars sounding exactly the same, excuse my ignorance but I presume they are all using a spec engine? The first time I saw a DTM race was in 2002 at Donington Park and I seem to recall the Opels sounded a little different. I last saw the DTM around 2008 or so and I think the cars sounded different from each other then too but I may be wrong.

Can anyone tell me who makes the engines?

Other bits and pieces: I had forgotten the track is quite short. The F3 start line shunt was sickening to hear. Relief all round when both drivers emerged from their respective car.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3833379)   #158
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I assume engines are done inhouse nowadays.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 08:31 (Ref:3833558)   #159
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://dtm.com/en/news/dtm-and-supe...018-06-23.html

The new “CLASS 1” regulations for DTM and the Japanese SUPER GT series have been completed.

The first joint two joint races will happen in 2019, one race in Europe and one race in Japan.

DTM will run to the new regs next year, but Super GT will only really begin using the new regulations from 2020.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3833631)   #160
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
DTM will run to the new regs next year, but Super GT will only really begin using the new regulations from 2020.

You arrived one week too late. And we all read the last week's news mate.
Old 6 Jul 2018, 09:25 (Ref:3834968)   #161
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
There are some new rumours about the Aston Martin entry into DTM...or should I rather say the Red Bull entry? According to Motorsport.com, the Aston Martin DTM car will run with a Honda engine - which somewhat makes sense, given that Red Bull will run Honda engines in 2019. In addition, the Red Bull-Aston Martin team will use parts from the HWA team. So I wonder why Red Bull and Aston won't just enter in 2019 already. Sure, entering DTM takes some time for preparations. But for 2019, they could use some HWA staff, while recruiting their own staff for 2020. Given that they basically build a car out of available components, they may as well appear next year.

The same article also speculates about Emil Frey Racing entering in 2020 with Lexus. But come on, this can't be serious.
Old 6 Jul 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3834969)   #162
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Huh. Aston with Honda engine. In Red Bull. It's mechanical Kwaßsuppe. If they go slowly, they can be named TMNT too. From advertising point of view and with Honda-Red Bull F1 - it's foreseeable (Merc wouldn't make this 2l engine in 1 year time and Honda have no intention to enter DTM themselves). But Aston with Honda engine?
Old 7 Jul 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3835176)   #163
Matt K
Veteran

It seems Aston + Red Bull are quite serious about entering the DTM and I'd love to see that. Yes, it looks a bit messy (HWA's chassis, Honda's engine, Aston's "shape" and Red Bull's entry) but I believe it's absolutely feasible. There are numerous championships in which many parts are common for everybody, no matter if it is BMW, Honda, Volvo, whatever and engines are also supplied by some tuners. Well, take a look at F1! Red Bull is sponsored by Aston Martin but have Renault's engine (Honda's from 2019 onwards). Sauber have Ferrari's engine but look almost like a factory Alfa team (ok, Ferrari and Alfa belong to the same group). Let alone the situation when there was BMW Sauber with Ferrari engine!

Interesting case with Lexus in DTM, that seems quite possible if Japanese would work with a European team.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3836200)   #164
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
A Honda NSX silhouette would make more sense.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3836285)   #165
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The same article also speculates about Emil Frey Racing entering in 2020 with Lexus. But come on, this can't be serious.
That would be epic, it could be feasible on paper because there is already the Lexus running in SuperGT and when the rules align...

However, would Lexus Europe want to invest? I'm not so sure. A non-hybrid doesn't do much for their marketing mix these days.
Old 14 Jul 2018, 09:35 (Ref:3836624)   #166
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Ogier will drive for Mercedes at Red Bull Ring in September.
Old 14 Jul 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3836634)   #167
Matt K
Veteran

It will be interesting. Meanwhile Mercedes continues to dominate at Zandvoort.
Old 15 Jul 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3836781)   #168
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
There are also rumours about Jenson Button driving for Mercedes at Brands Hatch. But Ogier would at least make the DTM host for German TV happy, as he's her husband

Regarding new manufacturers: According to Gerhard Berger, there will a decision in about eight weeks. In my opinion, we'll know in eight weeks, whether Audi will continue to do DTM in some form or not. I hope that Audi at the very least will continue to supply teams with cars, sort of like they already do in GT3 and TCR.
Old 15 Jul 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3836804)   #169
Matt K
Veteran

According to some information, Aston Martin demands presence of both Audi and BMW in order to commit to DTM. Audi's exit would mean the end of DTM.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3836969)   #170
Biggiet17
Rookie

United Kingdom
Deepest Darkest Buckinghamshire
Biggiet17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There are also rumours about Jenson Button driving for Mercedes at Brands Hatch.
Can you really see this happening? It would be plastered all over the place if this is true!

Let's face it how much would £££ would this bring to Brands Hatch if it was.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3836999)   #171
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I would so love it to happen, but would Honda have something to say about it?
Old 16 Jul 2018, 21:27 (Ref:3837021)   #172
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Ogier will drive for Mercedes at Red Bull Ring in September.
Not confirmed. Someone is spreading fake news. Same for Jenson!
Old 17 Jul 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3837114)   #173
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Some more developments on the Aston Martin issue:

* HWA may provide the chassis to Aston Martin, for which Toto Wolff has given his blessing for
* HWA may also provide the engine, if Red Bull-Aston doesn't go for Honda. The engine itself is a project independent from Mercedes or their factory in Brixworth
* R-Motorsport is supposed to run the entry. Not only is Christian Horner involved with this one, they also hired some former DTM personell, like Wolfgang Schattling, Mercedes' former head of communications for DTM
* Two drivers are favorites for seats: Maxime Martin and Nicki Thiim. The former has plenty of DTM experience, the latter seems very willing to compete there. Not to mention that the name Thiim holds some legacy in DTM
* You may ask why Red Bull withdrew from DTM, only to return again? Well, Gerhard Berger has good relations to both Helmut Marko and Dietrich Matteschitz.

If I may add some pieces of speculation: It wouldn't make me wonder if Red Bull-Aston ends up running at least four cars. Because I'd imagine that Dr. Marko may park some hot prospects from the Red Bull academy in DTM.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 22:42 (Ref:3837201)   #174
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Some more developments on the Aston Martin issue:

* HWA may provide the chassis to Aston Martin, for which Toto Wolff has given his blessing for
* HWA may also provide the engine, if Red Bull-Aston doesn't go for Honda. The engine itself is a project independent from Mercedes or their factory in Brixworth
* R-Motorsport is supposed to run the entry. Not only is Christian Horner involved with this one, they also hired some former DTM personell, like Wolfgang Schattling, Mercedes' former head of communications for DTM
* Two drivers are favorites for seats: Maxime Martin and Nicki Thiim. The former has plenty of DTM experience, the latter seems very willing to compete there. Not to mention that the name Thiim holds some legacy in DTM
* You may ask why Red Bull withdrew from DTM, only to return again? Well, Gerhard Berger has good relations to both Helmut Marko and Dietrich Matteschitz.

If I may add some pieces of speculation: It wouldn't make me wonder if Red Bull-Aston ends up running at least four cars. Because I'd imagine that Dr. Marko may park some hot prospects from the Red Bull academy in DTM.

Interesting

I can’t imagine the organisers allowing them to enter with any less than 4 cars.

Ideally it’d be 6 to maintain grid size unless they expect another MFG
Old 18 Jul 2018, 08:35 (Ref:3837247)   #175
Matt K
Veteran

What I also wonder about is how much this Red Bull-Aston Martin-HWA effort would have in common with Aston Martin Racing? Will this be any close to the factory Aston team?

As it can be read on Motorsport Total, Maserati and Lexus are still possibilities, yet less likely.