Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 Jan 2002, 22:52 (Ref:202443)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Welcome!

Welcome to the new Marshals Forum!!

Feel free to start talking whatever you like about marshalling!! If you're a marshal, introduce yourself, or get whatever you want off your chest...
Old 21 Jan 2002, 23:12 (Ref:202459)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I shall take the pleasure of being the 2nd poster in here.

I think this forum is a very good idea, dedicated to the people who if they didn't work so hard and give up their free time, we would not have the sport we all love. Keep up the good work guys!
Old 21 Jan 2002, 23:31 (Ref:202470)   #3
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent new forum Craig!

I've already met Stephen at his own website (albeit under my other name), but I would like to introduce myself to everyone else here who visits this forum.

I'm a marshal from Ireland and I marshal mainly at Mondello Park. I used to be the Recruitment Officer for MRMCI but I now keep my marshalling activities mainly to the banks and track. I'm a graded Flag Marshal and I am currently working towards my Incident Grade.

I look forward to many interesting marshalling discussions here on the marshals forum of ten-tenths.

Old 22 Jan 2002, 01:00 (Ref:202510)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
neat Idea Criag

Ive only ever flag marshalled at Kart events but still enjoy it because it gets you as close to the action as possible , I first started racing and always wondered what it was like for a flaggie when my kart got out of control and started heading backwards for them !!!!!!

so I tried it and yes believe me even though karts are small and slow compared to cars , when one is sliding backwards straight at you , you get the fright of your life.

but I enbjoy marshalling and now that im not driving anymore I still head over to my local club once a month and flag a few races for the guys , just to feel that adrenalin.

keep up the good work guys because without you , we wouldnt be able to do the sport we love
Old 22 Jan 2002, 08:18 (Ref:202595)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good idea this..

I marshal at Combe, Thruxton and Goodwood although we do make some treks in the year to include Brands and Cadwell, plus this year we go to Croix in France...

Marshalling this year will be restricted due to more committed sprint / hillclimb campaign.

Should be some interesting topics.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 11:03 (Ref:202629)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll admit that I haven't done any marshalling for a number of years now, but I did do some flagging and I do the occassional bit of timekeeping now and then too.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 15:55 (Ref:202735)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Marshalls.

Always pleased to see you but I hope I never meet you (professionally that is).

Dan I'm hoping to be at Thruxton on 24th March. Will you be there?
Old 22 Jan 2002, 16:08 (Ref:202743)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton 24th March will be my first event of the season.. should be cold. But a good race day. Tony Harman should also be present in Classic Clubmans.

And 'Marshal' should be attending??? - subject to his usual expensive trips abroad (ie New Orleans)..
Old 23 Jan 2002, 10:31 (Ref:203089)   #9
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi all, yes I'll be there on the 24th March, and i'm loking forward to it, only 2 months to go!
Old 23 Jan 2002, 12:05 (Ref:203133)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi everyone. I believe that Marshal and I are co-hosts of this forum so a huge welcome from us both.

I marshal mainly at Brands Hatch as it's only a 15 minute drive from home in Kent, but also 'do' the British Grand Prix, Goodwood Festival of Speed and Lyddon Hill time permitting. I've lost count of the number of years I've been marshalling, but it must be over 15 now (yes I'm a sad old man).

For many years I was fortunate enough to know a couple of people who got me freebies to Brands. One day while perusing the program I spotted an advert for marshals and thought 'why not'. It has enabled me to make many new friends, enjoy and participate in the sport I adore and given me much valuable practical experience to boot.

I have just been upgraded to Observer from Incident Officer so those of you racing at Brands 'WATCH OUT!' I'm often found hiding in the observers box at post 6, the exit to Druids Hairpin.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 12:36 (Ref:203153)   #11
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen

I'm not a racer but I just might cause an incident at Druids and post 6...

I'm not a marshall either but I've accompanied many scrutineers/marshalls at Silverstone over the years and have been impressed by their dedication to the job. One of the scrutineering assistants landed at 4.00am at Gatwick one morning after an overnight flight back from somewhere exotic, hopped in his car and was at Silverstone within 3 hours to do a day's work!
Old 23 Jan 2002, 12:46 (Ref:203156)   #12
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, yeah, new forum, me hosting, introduction might be in order

Hi, welcome to the new Marshals Forum

As some of you know I'm Jon Dee, and I'm based in Bristol, so I mainly officiate at Castle Coombe, Thruxton, Donnington, Silverstone and occasionally Mallory Park.

I look ofrward to dicussing Marshalling issues with you all, and hope I'll catch up with at least some of you this year
Old 23 Jan 2002, 13:43 (Ref:203188)   #13
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi a great idea to have a forum dedicated to marshals. I am about to embark on my first season as a marshal and I can't wait to get started. I live just outside Cambridge so I will be helping out at Silverstone, Brands and Snetterton. My first taste will be a training day on 23rd Feb and then off I go. Still getting my head round lots of things so if anyone has any helpful tips that would be great. I look forward to meeting some of you over the course of the season.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 13:54 (Ref:203196)   #14
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Claire,

Great to have new marshalls, more are needed!

Presume you are going out onto the bank?
Old 23 Jan 2002, 14:04 (Ref:203198)   #15
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Hi Jason, I will be going out on the bank (I think)until I go training I'm not really sure but I think I will train as an incident marshal and see how it goes. I want to get involved in all the action!!
Old 23 Jan 2002, 14:18 (Ref:203205)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Suzy, you are welcome at Post 6 anytime!

Claire, good luck with the training day next month, I'll probably see you there on the Saturday if your going to Brands. I usually help run the practical fire training.

To everyone else, many thanks for the good wishes and hope to read all your comments as we go along.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 16:01 (Ref:203246)   #17
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal
Hi all, yes I'll be there on the 24th March, and i'm loking forward to it, only 2 months to go!
Oh my God - only 2 months to go?!!? I'd better pull my finger out!

Claire, nice to hear you're becoming a marshal. I'll be a frequent visitor to Brands, Snet, and Silverstone this year, so I might just pop over to say hello (hopefully not during the race )

I am also still thinking of doing a stint on the bank myself. Just got to find a free weekend during the season..
Old 23 Jan 2002, 21:18 (Ref:203384)   #18
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I post on Stephens Yahoo club as mahunxxxx and am BARC Rescue crew. I'm also Secretary of the BMMC SW region. Due to the limited number of crew we have and the ever increasing number of events I tend to get around the circuits a bit, based at Thruxton we cover..Pembrey, Donington, Brands, Rockingham, Snetterton, Goodwood, Lydden, Gurston occasionally Cadwell and this year Croix! I'll be at Thruxton on March 24th so look me up unless you are coming to Marshals training...
Old 24 Jan 2002, 16:05 (Ref:203684)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Claire
Still getting my head round lots of things so if anyone has any helpful tips that would be great. I look forward to meeting some of you over the course of the season.
Twelve months ago I was in the position you're in now, so I know how you feel!

You'll get good training, & the little red book which no doubt you have a copy of contains a lot of good advice. First time out on the bank, however, you'll be wondering what you've let yourself in for. Don't worry. You'll be partnered with somebody who, possibly despite appearances, knows what (s)he is doing.

Your first big incident will come almost as a relief - when it's over, you'll know that your training has prepared you well & that you're part of a professional team. At my first meeting we had a Porsche 924 upside down so deep in the gravel that the doors couldn't be opened.......

Don't panic, don't do anything you're not 100% happy about doing. By the end of the season you'll have had a lot of fun, met a lot of great people & maybe even have a nice shiny new green badge!

Oh, & enjoy sweeping that track!
Old 24 Jan 2002, 16:15 (Ref:203689)   #20
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge

Thanks Dave I am sure that everything will go well and I am already practising my sweeping motion !! You have obviously survived are you embarking on a second season? My ultimate goal is to be good enough to marshal at the British GP, I know that is a long way off but it's something to focus on when I am being blown inside out by the wind and getting soaking wet in the middle of a downpour!!
Old 24 Jan 2002, 16:31 (Ref:203693)   #21
Marshal
Veteran

Hi Claire, and welcome to the world of marshalling, its a lot of fun. I'm embarking on my 14th season, and I love it ot bits, you get to meet all sorts of interesting people who share a common pasion for racing.

The only specific advice I'd give is taking more warm clothing than you think you'd ever need - along with the suntan cream - and don't get dragged in to the lure of just going to "big" meetings, the little ones can be a lot of (more) fun too.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 17:09 (Ref:203712)   #22
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Claire
You have obviously survived are you embarking on a second season?
Yes, both my wife & I are looking forward to the start of our second season - she tells me that so far she's got 36 days she wants to do!
Old 24 Jan 2002, 18:45 (Ref:203761)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Dave, can I just butt in and say that was one of the best and nicest replies I have seen to a new marshal. You said everything I have been thing, possibly more. I am sure Claire has taken great comfort from your message.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 20:53 (Ref:203828)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Welcome

Claire this is Karen (Dave Brand's wife) I hope that you will enjoy your first season as much as Dave and I did.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if there is something that either you don't understand or may have difficulty doing.

Are there any Oulton marshals out there? See you on the twenty third.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 13:22 (Ref:204178)   #25
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Thank you all for your kind replies I am still not quite sure what to expect, I have followed motorsport for a long time and have visited lots of races and seen how dedicated all the marshals and support staff are and I can't wait to be part of that. I am counting the days till my first meeting(not sure when that will be yet)but looking at race dates publised by Octagon I am going to be very busy!!