Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:06 (Ref:667020)   #1
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thin Orange Line

I have just received my final instuctions for the Oulton Park race meeting 26th July. I see that just 48 incident marshals have volenteered. From this number 15% will be no-shows, down to 41, four will be on the dodgems (fire trucks)37 now for 12 posts 3ish each. Please make sure you have your weetabix.
On a serious note: why are numbers falling? what can be done to boost the thin orange line?
Anyone on the trackside forum want to help??
Regards,
Ian
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:40 (Ref:667153)   #2
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Ian I would love to be there but I have a shortage in the beer stocks so will be having fun in France.
As for the serious note why not get talks in schools espacially the sports colleges about marshalling? it could bring in some new recriuts from the age of 16 upwards
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:29 (Ref:667189)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oulton's fairly local for me and I don't have much on this weekend, so if you're allowed to put a complete and utter novice in an orange suit, I could be persuaded!

PM me...
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:54 (Ref:667219)   #4
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garcon,

If you do manage to make it, I've got a complete 'Marshals Starter Pack' going spare - Probans, Gloves and even Union Flag sew-on badge. Only used once for the training session. You're welcome to borrow them until you make up your mind whether or not to continue marshalling (which you will, of course!)

Paul.

Last edited by PaulPerkins; 21 Jul 2003 at 14:54.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:58 (Ref:667224)   #5
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheers Paul!

I'll be in touch...

*garcon wonders what he might be letting himself in for...*
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:44 (Ref:667364)   #6
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Cheers Paul!

I'll be in touch...

*garcon wonders what he might be letting himself in for...*

ooohhhh yippee !!!! another virgin !!

"You will never know the true power of the Orange Side"
Old 21 Jul 2003, 18:16 (Ref:667482)   #7
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well they do say the futures bright the futures orange
Old 21 Jul 2003, 18:21 (Ref:667489)   #8
Adrian Randle
Rookie

Adrian Randle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can assure you it's becoming a very thin pale shade of orange judging by the numbers at some recent meetings.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 21:21 (Ref:667669)   #9
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many are at Donington for the DTM?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 21:41 (Ref:667691)   #10
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
every marshall I have ever met has been a great person and has been a real enthusiast for club racing. I cannot sing the praises of the marshalls enough as they allow me to go racing. So please don't stop going because you are un-appriciated.

The idea of visiting schools in the area - or even inviting college/uni students to participate for fun to get a taste or maybe to use the experience as part of their study (if it is sports related - they can examine cars for mechanical related degrees, examine drivers for fitness and phycological related courses, and be part of motorsport for sports related courses, perhaps even use a season at a track marshalling as a case study watching how the economy effects numbers, how certain drivers mature through out a season, there is lots of scope. I would be happy to do my part as a driver in helping get students interested, be it going to schools, offering myself, my car and the team I race with as "candidates" anything really. If there is any plans for this, I'd be happy to participate anything that gets you guys new recruits.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 21:42 (Ref:667695)   #11
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should also point out that if someone wants to work with me (who is a marshall) I would be very happy to spend some time putting together a small package for disribution at schools/colleges/uni's showing how being a marhsall gives them access to a.) Fun b.) new friends c.) great subjects for school work.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 22:30 (Ref:667733)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, darcym, appreciate the sentiments.

I think we all know that the drivers do appreciate what we do (as we appreciate great racing), we just need the message to get to the clubs/circuits/MSA etc
Old 21 Jul 2003, 23:41 (Ref:667771)   #13
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
I should also point out that if someone wants to work with me (who is a marshall) I would be very happy to spend some time putting together a small package for disribution at schools/colleges/uni's showing how being a marhsall gives them access to a.) Fun b.) new friends c.) great subjects for school work.
having "worked" with a driver during a meeting it is very enlightening as to just how much goes on during a Speed Event weekend. Just how that may translate to non-participants i'm not sure but as an ex-marshal it was great fun. I might even go back on-the-bank.

But to address your earlier point, just to echo Woolley, thank you for your comments. I don't think any of us marshals do it for the thanks but it is nice to receive them. As to recruiting "new blood", well..... many have tried and some have failed. The only way I know is to get them trackside by whatever means and see if they like it. Some do, some don't, such is life, but the manner in which they are introduced to the sport must count for something. Just dumped on a post cannot be good for anyone, but (as at Oulton Park), getting a tour of the circuit and an introduction to all the posts aswell as the personnel must help. I would love to know the percentage of "newbies" at Oulton that have taken the plunge and become regular marshals.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 07:39 (Ref:667995)   #14
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Any new Marshal attending Oulton park will be very well looked after, not just dumped on a post and left to fend for themselves. Please make yourselves known to Nadine or me, we do the marshals sign on at Oulton.
Please let me know if you attending and I will arrange a ticket for you to pass through the gate.
Ian Lewis
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:04 (Ref:668012)   #15
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevespurr
How many are at Donington for the DTM?
Friday (obviously) is quite thin on the ground according to BARCs list, with observers needed mostly (lots of flaggies taking pens & clipboards & extra arms I think!). For the weekend there seems to be plenty to go round the GP circuit. Should be a good weekend (although the timings look to be missing much in the way of breaks).

Alan
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:14 (Ref:668022)   #16
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off-topic, but..

Ian, you've obviously done some work on the stats for no-shows, etc. I'd be interested to know how many people turn up on-spec (i.e. have not volunteered) - is that normally a percentage, or does it vary.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 08:23 (Ref:668029)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Stu, you're not an ex-marshal - you'll always be a marshal - you're simply a "non-practicing" one!

I've never been to Oulton - is 3 per post workable? We've been doing a lot better with numbers this year after a concerted recruitment drive, but time was when 3 per post was considered to be a pretty good average.

Is this a regular thing now or is the problem with conflicting meetings and/or people not wanting to attend specific events?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:22 (Ref:668076)   #18
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Oulton has untill recently enjoyed a good marshal to post ratio. Back in 1995 we had 118 incident marshals down for this meeting, along with 47 flaggies. compare it to what we have now! Paul we do have extras turning up but I would estimate them to be 1-2% and yes we can work with 3 per post but it will be hard.
What can be done to encourage new marshals??
Ian
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:33 (Ref:668085)   #19
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ian, one of the main issues we encountered with marshal numbers was lack of communication. Initiating a regular marshals post (monthly) that had the list of that month's dates in it, combined with regular email and text message updates - plus a ring around 3 days before the event - had a good impact on marshal numbers.

With regards to recruitment, our biggest success has been advertising in the voluntary section on an Irish recruitment website. Once I explained who we were and what we did, they gave us the advertisement for free. The ad went up in March and by June, we'd had over 50 enquiries. Ok we only managed to convert 10 of them (mostly they didn't read the "voluntary" bit) but that's still 10 people we would not have had otherwise. I don't know if this is applicable to you, but it may be worth looking at.

We also have a standing advertisement in all Mondello programmes and at larger events, we hand out leaflets (although of all the initiatives, this has been the least successful and most expensive!)

With regard to retention of new marshals, generally the most important thing is to get them integrated as fast as possible. It sounds like a no-brainer, but there's nothing more daunting than being on your own with a group of people who've all known each other for ages! I think you already do this at Oulton in any case though. We also do regular marshals draws, but I don't know how much of a factor that is in people coming back!

The biggest thing is to try to make sure people have a good time. As long as that is happening, the rest sort of takes care of itself. However, working out how that happens is not always an easy thing to do!

I don't know if any of this is of any help!

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 22 Jul 2003 at 09:33.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:41 (Ref:668093)   #20
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Dear Evil Pumpkin, Nadine and I are taking all of this on board and will come up with action Plan.
I know numbers are falling but I was shocked when I saw we had 118 marshals down for the same event in 1995.
Ian
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:53 (Ref:668101)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Hi Ian,

Well as I said, I didn't really give you anything I hadn't already picked up from other people on the board, but if you want to discuss further, feel free to PM or email me - I'll do my best to assist.

Cheers,
EP
Old 22 Jul 2003, 10:15 (Ref:668111)   #22
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Dear EP, Thanks we need all the help we can get.no matter where it originates from. I will discuss with Nadine and take it from there. Thanks again for your imput.
Ian
Old 22 Jul 2003, 10:21 (Ref:668112)   #23
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a non marshall I've always been a little confused by which club is which as you see a variety of uniforms around.
Is there an overall governing body for marshalls that has a clearly mapped out route for getting into it or is purely down to the individual clubs?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 11:17 (Ref:668158)   #24
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Hi Paul,
There are a number of marshal clubs, but you can volenteer through any club to marshal the event of your choice.
All the clubs are the same i.e. all the marshals are great fun. The overalls differ inso much as most are bright Orange but the BRDC marshals overalls are mainly Black with Orange. Rescue crew wear Green but we in the N.W wear Red!! Doctors wear Red. Confused?
The main point - we are all the same.
Ian
Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:14 (Ref:668748)   #25
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been thinking trying to become a marshal for a while now. How do you go about it?

Is it a case of joining the BMMC and taking it from there?

Last edited by Spudgun; 22 Jul 2003 at 20:14.