Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jan 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4027435)   #151
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.file...1/image-23.png
One for Gordon . I believe he said he was stuck in Kent . Which is probably lucky as Spain is having record low temperatures .
I realise it is in the mountains , but -34 C is still VERY cold .
Well it is winter after all, I have lived in Spain long enough to have seen snow about 2 miles away just down the road to us.
A lot of people are under the misinterpretation that it's always warm and sunny especially down the south end, whereas it gets bloody cold in January/February especially at night.
I remember some keyboard warriors having a go at us for taking our winter allowance from the UK government who assume that we sit around in swimming trunks all the time.
Yes I have seen 30c on Christmas day but that is rare as we often get very strong winds that are bitingly cold and directly the sun goes down it can drop 20+ almost immediately. Most Spanish properties are single skinned and designed to keep cool for the hot parts of the year and have to have heating for 3/4 months at least.
The north part is always very cold in winter and a lot of the time the roads are closed especially over the Pyrenees mountains through Andorra.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jan 2021, 15:13 (Ref:4027438)   #152
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Minus 34.1 centigrade? Really?????? It's only -26 at the North Pole ATM.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Jan 2021, 15:29 (Ref:4027441)   #153
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Global warming....
Old 7 Jan 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4027447)   #154
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Minus 34.1 centigrade? Really?????? It's only -26 at the North Pole ATM.

Greenland has a minus 46C at the moment .

I used to have a regular run down to near the Circuit De Catalunya .
Even in mid summer it was normal to see snow on mountain tops near there .
So as Gordon says , it can vary a lot .
But as the news report says , a new record low for Spain .
Old 7 Jan 2021, 15:57 (Ref:4027449)   #155
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I lived a little further up the coast from Gordon, a few miles north of the old Murcia airport, for about 10 years, in a part of the Costa Blanca that is considered to have a very clement climate during the winter period.

However, my home was at the top of the highest hill in the whole area (for some unknown reason I seem to have chosen to live up high in the last 20 or so years) and, during I think was the second winter there, it actually snowed up our hill. So, being the adventurous type back then, I got my skis out of the basement, and glided down the hill on my skis to where the snow stopped.

My neighbours then had it confirmed that I was, indeed, nuts! Actually, talking to some of my Spanish friends and neighbours, it was the very first time that snow had been seen in the area for about 50 years.
Old 7 Jan 2021, 16:02 (Ref:4027451)   #156
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Global warming....
Climate change. Extremes of weather. It was predicted 20 years ago. They were right it would seem......

......depending of course which web sites you believe
Old 7 Jan 2021, 17:09 (Ref:4027472)   #157
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I think Nostradamus wrote some kind of apologies on his website. Paco Rabanne did the same few weeks before …
Remember the proverb, Max: Pâques aux rabannes, Noël aux bananes!
Old 7 Jan 2021, 17:29 (Ref:4027476)   #158
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Climate change. Extremes of weather. It was predicted 20 years ago. They were right it would seem......

......depending of course which web sites you believe
Old 7 Jan 2021, 17:44 (Ref:4027484)   #159
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Greenland has a minus 46C at the moment .

I used to have a regular run down to near the Circuit De Catalunya .
Even in mid summer it was normal to see snow on mountain tops near there .
So as Gordon says , it can vary a lot .
But as the news report says , a new record low for Spain .
Although we are about 450miles further south from Barcelona we have a lot of snow on the mountains further inland between us and Malaga and Granada is a winter ski resort.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 7 Jan 2021 at 17:51.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jan 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4027493)   #160
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Gerard - my friends who work in the UK Ambulance service tell me that the generally accepted term for the ambulances is the Nee-Naw Of course the modern sirens which emulate the vulgar American ones with a whole range of howls and whoops are a little more difficult to categorise
Old 7 Jan 2021, 18:10 (Ref:4027495)   #161
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Parps?
Old 7 Jan 2021, 18:29 (Ref:4027500)   #162
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Strange your ambulances dont sound like ours, Richard. Our dogs bark ouah-ouah not yeah-yeah, miaou of the cat becomes meow and so on. If you're talking about harmonisation, please teach your dogs first! Non, mais des fois sans blague.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 10:02 (Ref:4027594)   #163
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Meanwhile, back to the more serious topic; another 3 or 4 inches of the white stuff this morning, and no sign that it is going to stop coming down!
Old 8 Jan 2021, 10:19 (Ref:4027597)   #164
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Meanwhile, back to the more serious topic; another 3 or 4 inches of the white stuff this morning, and no sign that it is going to stop coming down!
Vic Lee been testing again?
Old 8 Jan 2021, 11:05 (Ref:4027613)   #165
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
minus mid 30's is a normal winter in Minneapolis where a friend lives.

It hasn't climbed above freezing for a few days here, coldest its been for several years, 2 years ago we didn't have a single frost.

Daffodils are all over th eplace, this should give them a proper reset!
Old 8 Jan 2021, 11:53 (Ref:4027629)   #166
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Vic Lee been testing again?
memories, memories.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 12:15 (Ref:4027635)   #167
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The media is saying that most of the country is due to get snow & ice for some days .
Mind you , they are calling it " The Beast From the East " , and then saying it is an Arctic front coming down from Greenland .
The Danish Arctic Institute are showing a temperature of minus 49.49 C in Greenland , but I think it won,t be that bad when it gets here .
Old 8 Jan 2021, 17:32 (Ref:4027695)   #168
midgetman
Veteran

I looked up at my calendar today, and saw that it had slipped slightly. I straightened it up thinking "Mike would never let that hang crooked." I'm sure Mr January had a twinkle in his eye as I stood back from the wall to admire my handiwork.

Old 8 Jan 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4027707)   #169
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I looked up at my calendar today, and saw that it had slipped slightly. I straightened it up thinking "Mike would never let that hang crooked." I'm sure Mr January had a twinkle in his eye as I stood back from the wall to admire my handiwork.

Just prompted me to get up and straighten mine - it looked like Mike was leaning over a bit more to the left to check something on the floor
Old 9 Jan 2021, 11:25 (Ref:4027822)   #170
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
A Boeing 737 has crashed soon after taking off from Jakarta !!!!!!
I know it's not the new max that has had 2 crashes but a 500, I know one person that won't get on one !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 9 Jan 2021 at 11:33.
Old 9 Jan 2021, 12:01 (Ref:4027826)   #171
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've lost count of the number of flights I've taken on 737s. I find them more comfortable than the A320 competition, but the 500 version was launched in 1987 so it's quite old. Considering it is a work horse of the skies I'd speculate (but hoping not) that this one is down to maintenance failures.
Old 9 Jan 2021, 12:30 (Ref:4027830)   #172
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
This concerns the MAX version, which has been grounded for a while:
https://theconversation.com/boeing-7...-enough-150688
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_MAX_groundings

Loosing 3 kilometers of altitude in one minute is a lot.
Old 9 Jan 2021, 13:01 (Ref:4027836)   #173
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I've lost count of the number of flights I've taken on 737s. I find them more comfortable than the A320 competition, but the 500 version was launched in 1987 so it's quite old. Considering it is a work horse of the skies I'd speculate (but hoping not) that this one is down to maintenance failures.
Apart from long haul holidays we have used the A320s for years for quick two and half hour flights to Spain so the "comfort" part doesn't really come into it.
The last time we had any problem was on a Boeing (of some sort) when flying to Mexico when the flight was aborted half way down the runway when taking off.
One thing I will say is, as we are stuck in the UK it's been nice and quite in our house for ages considering we live under the Gatwick flight path
Old 9 Jan 2021, 13:11 (Ref:4027837)   #174
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
This concerns the MAX version, which has been grounded for a while:
https://theconversation.com/boeing-7...-enough-150688
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_MAX_groundings

Loosing 3 kilometers of altitude in one minute is a lot.
Yes the Max problem appears to have been resolved. This one was 27 years old apparently.
Old 9 Jan 2021, 19:46 (Ref:4027877)   #175
midgetman
Veteran

So this is a screenshot of what I saw on Tapatalk. I thought "oh so I've been banned.". Turns out you were talking about aeroplanes. Oops, vanity is a terrible thing.