Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 2 Mar 2001, 13:45 (Ref:67585)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to draw everyones attention to the problem that the MSA are not issueing any new event permits for sprint / hillclimb events within this country (apparently - so I've been told) dure to the F&M outbreak. Whether this effects racing, I don't know... but I would have thought so...

I know because my first sprint at Easter has just been cancelled..

Could be a quiet start to the motor racing year then!!!

It only took 8 months for the outbreak in 1967 to get sorted, so we may sneak in some motor sport by September / October time perhaps..
Old 2 Mar 2001, 15:01 (Ref:67592)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not good news is it. I could well imagine more motorsport being cancelled due to this.
As for me, I work in a semi-rural area and we're now closed all of next week at the very least. I wasn't expecting a weeks holiday and haven't decided what to do with the time. There's F1 testing at Silverstone next week, I wonder if that will go ahead or if it will also be cancelled.
Old 2 Mar 2001, 15:40 (Ref:67596)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Speaking as someone who is not expecting to be out until August, I think the MSA has made the right choice.

However, in the greater scheme of things surely this small sacrifice is little enough to pay for reviving British Farming?
Old 2 Mar 2001, 16:16 (Ref:67601)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Here is the official line on the matter from the MSA:

Quote:
MSA Press Release 0108, issued on 28th February follows:

FOOT & MOUTH DISEASE

In light of the increasing spread of foot & mouth infection,
the Motor Sports Council has decided to suspend the majority
of British motor sport events with immediate effect.

The suspension will halt all events using public highways as
part of the competition, and all events which commonly take
place on or near agricultural land. These include rallies,
trials, autocross, rallycross and off road events.

Existing MSA Permits for these events will be suspended and no
new Permits will be issued until further notice.

The continued running of events at permanent motor sport
venues is under active review. MSA will urgently discuss the
situation with the venue owners and make a further
announcement in due course.

Detailed advice on the implementation of this announcement,
together with relevant information from national landowners
(Forestry Commission, Ministry of Defence, etc) has been
circulated to every MSA motor club and can be seen on the MSA
website (www.msauk.org) - look for the flashing "LATEST" logo.

ends.
Doesn't look good for the new season...
Old 2 Mar 2001, 17:12 (Ref:67615)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just got off the phone to a MSA committee member who was at the meeting on Tuesday. He says that currently circuit racing won't be subject to a ban. However we know that the virus can travel up to 35 miles (or more) airborne so I doubt if this position will last.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 10:45 (Ref:68072)   #6
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year it was the petrol crisis, this year, foot and mouth. Tis not looking good. But, as much as we will be every so disappointed if it comes to the crunch that we can't go to race circuits, it's a small price to pay to get this thing under control and wiped out.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 11:12 (Ref:68089)   #7
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too right there Lorna, must get F&M sorted asap.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 13:07 (Ref:68851)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dan,

Which event(s) has/have been cancelled? I'm (hopefully) entered into 2 hillclimb/sprints of Easter (Harewood & Croft).
Old 6 Mar 2001, 18:23 (Ref:68910)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My event was at Eelmoor (Aldershot) on MOD land - all now out of bounds.

But the first 2 events in my series, both in Devon (Finlake and Oddicombe) also look doubful according to other competitors..

Croft being a permenant venue should be ok at the moment. Not sure about Harewood though..
Old 6 Mar 2001, 23:48 (Ref:69028)   #10
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
surely?

they wont get rid of finlake? its next to the main road pretty much!!!
as is harewood!!!

i could understand if say prescott was, its in the middle of nowhere, or burbon.
Old 8 Mar 2001, 21:39 (Ref:69476)   #11
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This from the Donington Website showing that their next meeting is still going ahead.

Quote:
Donington Park is following the guidelines issued by the Association of Motor Racing Circuit Owners (AMRCO) with regard to the Foot and Mouth Disease crisis.

A spokesman for AMRCO said: "following the recent statements issued by the Motor Sports Association and the Auto Cycle Union reference Foot and Mouth Disease, the Association of Motor Racing Circuit Owners recognises the statements pass all motor car and motorcycle racing responsibility to the circuits.

"ARMCO advises all permanent circuits to liaise with their relevant authorities reference the impact of Foot and Mouth Disease in their local territories. AMRCO will review the subject on a weekly basis with the respective governing bodies."

The race meeting at Donington Park, scheduled for Sunday 11 March, the opening round of the MRO Motorcycle Race Championships, will go ahead, subject to the terms of the above statement..
While Croft have announced that their meeting planned for this weekend has been cancelled.

Quote:
Race Meeting Cancelled

Croft Circuit and Darlington & District Motor Club have jointly taken the desision to cancel the Race Meeting due to be held on Saturday 10th March. Both parties felt that,
with the outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease, the risk to the local farming community was too great.
The event was due to be the opening round of the Northern Saloon & Sports Car Championship and first of the new Sports Racing Series.

Last edited by Carrie; 8 Mar 2001 at 21:42.
Old 8 Mar 2001, 21:49 (Ref:69482)   #12
Carrie
Veteran

Mallory have also decided that this weekend's race meeting will still go ahead.
Old 8 Mar 2001, 21:52 (Ref:69484)   #13
Carrie
Veteran

No other news on any of the other circuit's websites, so I presume they're all still carrying on as normal for the time being.
Old 9 Mar 2001, 18:57 (Ref:69689)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Hate to be the beared of (very) bad news, but a little bird informs me that the MSA are meeting shortly to decide whether to revoke all permits until 1st May 2001... I cannot name my source, but they are in a position to know this sort of information - I just hope she's pulling my leg.
Old 10 Mar 2001, 23:34 (Ref:69945)   #15
Lorna
Veteran

I hope your source is unreliable and things will be fine. I am showing optism here and not pessimism. (can't spell at the moment!)
Old 11 Mar 2001, 19:22 (Ref:70151)   #16
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello again everyone!!

I think I might just do a repeat of last year; start off in Brisbane (well, go back home, actually) and come back in time for Le Mans!!

This Foot and Mouth thing really is tragic - and the situation seems to worsen by the day.

We can only hope and pray that it will be contained soon and that racing can continue as per normal...
Old 11 Mar 2001, 20:43 (Ref:70198)   #17
Lorna
Veteran

Blimey Dan! Where have you been hiding?

Can I come back to Brisbane with you?
Old 12 Mar 2001, 20:10 (Ref:70557)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
No you can't, Lorna, you've got 10 Tenths to run now!
Old 13 Mar 2001, 19:51 (Ref:70875)   #19
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Craig could give you some time off, but for the fact that Oz is supposedly facing its worst floods in over 50 years. Perhaps Crash Test or elephino could provide further information...
Old 13 Mar 2001, 20:54 (Ref:70911)   #20
Lorna
Veteran

So..... the boss isn't letting me have time off. When is my performance review? It's a two way thing, you know

Floods in Australia?!??! We have enough of those over here thanks very much
Old 13 Mar 2001, 20:59 (Ref:70916)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Your performance has already been reviewed, Miss Charter. We are delighted to inform you that, from the 1st April 2001, we will be offering you a 25% increase on your annual basic rate of pay.
Old 13 Mar 2001, 21:21 (Ref:70928)   #22
Lorna
Veteran

Oooh! Thanks Craig! What's 25% of nothing?
Old 14 Mar 2001, 12:51 (Ref:71061)   #23
Sodemo2
Racer

Sodemo2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would hardly think that they would cancel the major events like the Brit GP & touring cars/Superbikes ....

40,000 - 100,000 people 'times' £20-90 = lots of cash.
Old 14 Mar 2001, 18:44 (Ref:71141)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Why not, the Cheltenham Festival has already been cancelled/rescheduled and in financial terms thats bigger that TCs or Superbikes.

Besides 1000's of extra cattle @ £??? = a lot of cash as well
Old 14 Mar 2001, 18:47 (Ref:71142)   #25
Carrie
Veteran

Today the first outbreak of F&M was confirmed in Cheshire at a farm near Nantwich. At a guess I'd put Nantwich about 8 to 10 miles from Oulton Park, so whether this will mean racing is stopped at Oulton I don't know yet.

I'd say that if a race event needs to be cancelled then it will be - even if it turns out to be by the farmers themselves - I know just how effective farmers can be when they organise a tractor blockade I work in a museum and we've been closed for nearly 2 weeks now as a result of the F&M, we don't want to be closed, we thought we might be affected, but never expected to be affected as soon as we were. However, if us staying closed helps reduce the risk to local farmers then it is worth it. I don't want to see racing cancelled, but if it is then I hope people will be understanding of the reasons why.

As for using numbers of people and money brought in from a BTCC meeting as reason enough for it still going ahead. I wonder how the money brought in from your average BTCC meeting compares with the money for the Cheltenham Festival.