Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 20 Oct 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1439095)   #1
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ivan Parkes - Fiat Racing Challenge

I received the sad news today that Ivan Parkes died suddenly yesterday. Ivan was the hub of the Fiat Racing Challenge since its birth in 1992 through to 2002, providing hospitality and support to all competitors.

I first met Ivan in July 1989 when we worked together. Following that, he and his partner Pat followed the Italian Intermarque Challenge for a couple of years, before spending their retirement becoming the 'unofficial coordinators' of the Fiat Racing Challenge from 1992 onwards. In total, they attended races, seldom missing an event, for over 12 years. They even made the overseas trips to Mondello and Zandvoort at their own expense with their hospitality caravan. Everyone in the Fiat Challenge depended on Ivan for his video tapes of every round, unlimited bacon sandwiches and general advice and encouragement. I'm sure I'm not the only one who took this for granted.

Ivan had been taken ill earlier this summer, but when I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago he had seemed to be on the road to recovery and was hoping to attend another racing event soon.

Club racing championships are dependent on their volunteers, and Ivan was one of the faithful who gave his time and support off the track, out of the limelight, and became part of the racing family at BRSCC events for over a decade.

I'm one of dozens of former Fiat Challenge competitors who were supported by Ivan through good times and bad, and I'm one of many who will never forget the contribution he made.

Please contact me for details of funeral arrangements.

James Bailey
Coordinator Fiat Racing Challenge 1991-1996
Old 21 Oct 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1439733)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank you, James, for this tribute to someone who was so clearly a true motor racing enthusiast.

Ivan, R.I.P