Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Nov 2021, 08:17 (Ref:4083715)   #451
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Not a happy ship I think. Running someone else’s car coming home to roost.
Old 16 Nov 2021, 08:23 (Ref:4083717)   #452
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Not a happy ship I think. Running someone else’s car coming home to roost.
Not running someone else's car. They did build it.
But the penalty for copying someone else's car cost them points in 2020, and meant they were caught in the aerodynamic rule change that negated much of the low rake advantage in 2021 and put them on the back foot.
They simply never had the resources, financial or technical, to to recover from that.
Old 16 Nov 2021, 10:21 (Ref:4083734)   #453
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Not running someone else's car. They did build it.
But the penalty for copying someone else's car cost them points in 2020, and meant they were caught in the aerodynamic rule change that negated much of the low rake advantage in 2021 and put them on the back foot.
They simply never had the resources, financial or technical, to to recover from that.
Or the driving talent of the Team who designed it!
Old 16 Nov 2021, 14:34 (Ref:4083783)   #454
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree with the above, but it's potentially a deeper problem. Someone can give you a solution that works. And you can built it and be successful. But if you have to develop or adapt that solution. That requires understanding of "why" and "how" that solution works. Mercedes would clearly understand the solution much better than Aston Martin would. So Aston Martin would have always been behind on trying to evolve that car.

If nothing changed with respect to the regulations it may have been a smart move for AM as they could milk it until 2022 requires a totally new car. But with the change that impacted the low rake cars, they were screwed as they had a solution they didn't know how to adapt. Or would be slow to adapt.

Richard
Old 16 Nov 2021, 15:10 (Ref:4083790)   #455
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
right! how much money and resources were they expected to throw at 2021 when significant rules changes are set for 2022? plus it seems like they spent their money on infrastructure rather then the car.

im not a necessarily a fan of the cheating narrative and more inclined to think they got screwed by a rule change and by the other mid field teams (fair play though as all is fair in love and war).

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Or the driving talent of the Team who designed it!
this for me. they have been let down by their drivers who can on occasion overachieve but typically dont.
Old 16 Nov 2021, 17:29 (Ref:4083834)   #456
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
In my experience of Formula One, denial of rumours usually turns out to be confirmation!

Yeah, but there’s also been many rumours that have turned out to be wide of the mark, so it’s often hard to tell
Old 25 Nov 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4085400)   #457
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
they were caught in the aerodynamic rule change that negated much of the low rake advantage in 2021 and put them on the back foot. They simply never had the resources, financial or technical, to to recover from that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Mercedes would clearly understand the solution much better than Aston Martin would. So Aston Martin would have always been behind on trying to evolve that car.
Is Eric Blandin the person who understands it?

'Aston Martin have signed Mercedes' chief aerodynamicist Eric Blandin.
The move is the latest in a series of high-profile recruitments by Aston Martin as they seek to restructure their team and move further up the grid.
The Frenchman will join at some point next year in a role yet to be confirmed publicly.'

With Dan Fallows taking up the role of technical director, and Blandin joining too - they look to be lining up a strong aero team.

One thing that interests me - Horner came across as a bit bitter when the departure of Fallows was announced, but I have seen noting yet from Wolff on Blandin's departure and AM say it is amicable.

'Red Bull said Fallows would not leave until the end of his contract and team boss Christian Horner said "it won't be within the next couple of years. It's a small paddock and rumours get around. We've known for some time and I'd rather staff read it in a communication from the team rather than in the media."'

'"The transition from Mercedes AMG F1 Team to ourselves will be an amicable one," said an Aston Martin spokesman.'
Old 5 Jan 2022, 11:08 (Ref:4092554)   #458
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While in a team statement today…

“ Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team announces the departure of Otmar Szafnauer.”

Ouch!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Jan 2022, 11:23 (Ref:4092556)   #459
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
While in a team statement today…

“ Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team announces the departure of Otmar Szafnauer.”

Ouch!!
Story Here
Old 5 Jan 2022, 11:48 (Ref:4092560)   #460
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Growing pains. Gone from a team with a small budget that was over-performing, and are now a team with loads of money behind it and a questionable strategy of running a car that is seemingly heavily based on someone else's. Expectations have increased in line with their budget, and 2021 will presumably be seen as a disaster by the owners when compared with a very good 2020.

I suspect that Otmar will turn up at anther F1 team sooner or later - whether the Alpine rumours were right or wrong.

With the new regs', I am interested to see what car design they come up with this coming season, especially when compared with their engine suppliers car.
Old 5 Jan 2022, 16:09 (Ref:4092590)   #461
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
have been a big fan of his approach for years and under some real crap owners as well.

huge loss for AM and hopefully a huge hire by another (possibly new) team!

other side of the coin though, is that i hope we see more Whitmarsh now. always like him as well.
Old 5 Jan 2022, 23:34 (Ref:4092623)   #462
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
have been a big fan of his approach for years and under some real crap owners as well.
Wasn’t actually in charge that long though, as Bob was in charge before Stroll bought the team.
Old 6 Jan 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4092660)   #463
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Otmar did quite a good job with the team, both technically and on the team manager side. I wish him well wherever he goes. Whitmarsh should do a good job in his place though
Old 14 Jan 2022, 19:55 (Ref:4093774)   #464
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Mike Krack, who was head of BMW M Motorsport, is the new team principal of Aston Martin.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 20:01 (Ref:4093777)   #465
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone seen him?
Old 14 Jan 2022, 22:38 (Ref:4093793)   #466
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Anyone seen him?
Article Here
Old 15 Jan 2022, 04:56 (Ref:4093817)   #467
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Strange appointment? Not sure he's TP level.
Old 15 Jan 2022, 09:25 (Ref:4093826)   #468
S griffin
Veteran

I know he used to work for BMW Sauber. I'm not sure he is ready for a job like this though
Old 15 Jan 2022, 11:14 (Ref:4093832)   #469
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Anyone seen him?

I see what you did there, ably assisted by Hugh Janus
Old 15 Jan 2022, 17:18 (Ref:4093873)   #470
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was worried I was being too obscure! In fact remembering an old US film comedy where someone called out "Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?" in a bar. Mods delete if inappropriate.
Old 15 Jan 2022, 17:21 (Ref:4093874)   #471
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
In fact remembering an old US film comedy where someone called out "Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?" in a bar. Mods delete if inappropriate.
See also: various childishly hilarious scenes where Bart Simpson prank calls Moe's Tavern
Old 16 Jan 2022, 01:10 (Ref:4093924)   #472
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Strange appointment? Not sure he's TP level.
Been given the opportunity, I am sure he will give it a crack.

Incidentally, what attributes and skills are required for a TP?
Old 16 Jan 2022, 08:11 (Ref:4093950)   #473
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Been given the opportunity, I am sure he will give it a crack.

Incidentally, what attributes and skills are required for a TP?
I suspect those required at team Stroll are quite different to most other teams!
Old 16 Jan 2022, 09:34 (Ref:4093967)   #474
S griffin
Veteran

I don't think it matters too much, they are just trying to get the best available staff and sometimes beggers can't be choosers
Old 16 Jan 2022, 17:42 (Ref:4094019)   #475
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I suspect those required at team Stroll are quite different to most other teams!
Why?