Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 1 Sep 2021, 16:26 (Ref:4071521)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hidden Road Car Classics - Now for Sale

A Barn Find Thread!

Prompted by a suggested story that just popped up on my socials and rather share it in another thread, I figured I start a new one (after a quick glance, I'm not sure there is one like on the forum yet - merge we must - I don't care).

Please share recently discovered classics, stored away for years, now going on sale! Or great stories of classic road cars hidden for years that are now being driven.
As for the story, check it out!

From a ’55 MGA to a ’74 Porsche 911: A Treasure Trove of 174 Dust-Covered Classic Cars Is Heading to Auction

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/g...aPp7-GH10avD7M

There is a video in the article showing the lot in the warehouse (not a barn). Hate that he skips right over a rare, pre WWII MG (from my quick glance) to comment on a fairly common BMW. There is a BGT V8 he mentions! I'm partial to MGs

I'll save you the time, here is the complete listing from the article (excel):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...d30/edit#gid=0

Anyways, you Londoners put a bid for me on the BV8 and maybe the defender!

And please share recent or older stories of such things. These stories always fascinate me and the cars are always intriguing.
Old 1 Sep 2021, 19:55 (Ref:4071544)   #2
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll have to start carrying my phone on inspections. I've seen a few older BMWs, a late Studebaker and others in my new area of NW Atlanta. Plus older land yachts as well.
Old 2 Sep 2021, 01:47 (Ref:4071572)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

From a ’55 MGA to a ’74 Porsche 911: A Treasure Trove of 174 Dust-Covered Classic Cars Is Heading to Auction

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/g...aPp7-GH10avD7M.
Great stuff (would be even better if the video wasn’t portrait ). Amazing. I like how there is nothing that special in there, but all interesting. Always makes you wonder, how does this happen?

Also always makes me think where can I get a decent amount of dust and what is a good way to get a nice even distribution? I’ve got an idea to add value…
Old 2 Sep 2021, 10:55 (Ref:4071613)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
all smells a bit funny, though. They say up for auction but there's no auction sale details. Then apparently 'the sale' started on Aug 31st. Then it states those not sold beforehand will go on ebay. The list suggest they are just flying a kite on prices, many seem about double what similar cars that have been laid up for years go for elsewhere, especially as some have neither V5 nor any history. Not a particularly good presentation by the child who just reads the models off the boot lids and says every other one is 'cool'. Be surprised if anyone actually gets a bargain there.
Old 2 Sep 2021, 14:57 (Ref:4071647)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
all smells a bit funny, though. They say up for auction but there's no auction sale details. Then apparently 'the sale' started on Aug 31st. Then it states those not sold beforehand will go on ebay. The list suggest they are just flying a kite on prices, many seem about double what similar cars that have been laid up for years go for elsewhere, especially as some have neither V5 nor any history. Not a particularly good presentation by the child who just reads the models off the boot lids and says every other one is 'cool'. Be surprised if anyone actually gets a bargain there.
Agreed! There is always something a little fishy about these things, imho. Just glad there appears to be an effort to save them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Great stuff (would be even better if the video wasn’t portrait ). Amazing. I like how there is nothing that special in there, but all interesting. Always makes you wonder, how does this happen?
I would like to know more of the story. I'll see what I can find the article and associated links are kinda worthless beyond here are some cars in a warehouse.

Quote:
Also always makes me think where can I get a decent amount of dust and what is a good way to get a nice even distribution? I’ve got an idea to add value…
Right! It's a barn find. Sitting for years, according to the dust!
Old 3 Sep 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4071779)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like someone has been buying up (or in some way obtaining) old cars from around the country in the hope of tapping the future "Classics" market at its peak.

Most of them seem to have difficult-to-replace trim parts missing.

If the idea works out and the sales hit premium values the conclusion would be that there are quite a number of people around with enough money to take a punt and pay for the convenience of someone collecting stuff for them from which to choose a project.

It would be interesting to know what sells and for how much but we may only discover that information for the dregs sold on eBay.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 01:57 (Ref:4073512)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bit of a niche barn find this one.
https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/n...nd-collection/

Could be a good buy, but would need a good pragmatic approach to what is a car and what are parts.