Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 3 Nov 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1451127)   #1
hawkenr
Racer

United Kingdom
Walton-on-Thames
hawkenr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Written sponsorship proposals

I am wondering if there is anybody out there who can help. I have been asked to write a sponsorship proposal to a company to support a race team in 2006. I have written one but seems to be lacking soemthing in my mind. I am sking if anyone has either a sample of such a proposal or has a copy of one sent to them I could take a quick look at.

Have searched Google and found very little.

Appreciate any help offered.

You can mail to me directly at richard.hawken@steubing.co.uk or drop into this forum.

Thanks indeed.

Richard
Old 4 Nov 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1452456)   #2
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SPONSORSHIP Mmmmmmmm?

Hi! As a racer from some years ago, I can offer you a little advise, which I believe still holds good today. From 1963 through to 1970 I raced on my own, without any help whatsoever. At thend of 1969 I was ready to put my car up for sale as I had run out of cash. Before I did this, I decided on just one more try, to see if I could raise enough money for paerhaps one more season. So I wrote a few dozen letters (more like fifty really) and the jist of them was: An advertising system that would be seen at every race circuit up and down the country. An advert for their Company that would not only be seen at the circuits, but also on the road to and from the circuits each and every day we practised, and every day that we raced. That we, that is the team would be on hand to distribute any advertising material that they wished us to. That the car and the crew would be available for static display in their premises, or in local car showrooms, complete with their livery. That I would have a report of each event we raced in, sent to the local Newspapers, or if a National company, to the National Press. I also told them about Motoring News and Autosport (and in my day Hot Car and Car and Car Conversions) and that that I would make myself available for Personal Appearances whenever they wished me to attend any functions. The main point, the main objective to try and get a company to sponsor you is "WHAT THEY GET FROM THE DEAL" NOT what you get. They want to hear that IT'S A GOOD PUBLICITY DEAL! Value for their cash outlay. I could go on, but your possibly getting the idea by now. Suffice to say that after seven years of learning my craft, I was an overnight success because a company came back to me, and offered me £400! This gave me the incentive to go on into the 1970 season. I won a few races that year and set a class lap record on the old short circuit at Mallory Park. The following year "SWISH", offered me an open cheque book and the rest is history as they say. I raced under their banner for the next five years and had a successful career, and all because I did not give up. So.....Don't give up. Tell them how good you are. Tell them what a brilliant advertising machine you could be for them. Even tell them they can come along with their Guests to a meeting of their choice in any given season, don't worry if they take you up on it....you'll get the passes from somewhere if They are your Sponsors! Good Luck Matey! Sincerely, Gerry Taylor Ex-"SWISH" TEAM ANGLIA.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1452992)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
And 35 years later they (Swish) are still getting something from there investment as seen by your recent posts and pictures here Gerry, sounds like good value for money to me. Good interesting post by the way.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1453024)   #4
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
And 35 years later they (Swish) are still getting something from there investment as seen by your recent posts and pictures here Gerry, sounds like good value for money to me. Good interesting post by the way.
Gerry,

You'd best send them an invoice then!!!

Rob.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1453663)   #5
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sponsorship.

Hi Al, Hi Rob, I never thought of it that way? Yeah, I suppose I am still selling THE COMPANY arn't I. But you see lads it really was a young new company when I raced for them. Now it's part of a Multi-National conglomerate. In those days I really did respect the Marketing Director , a guy called Jack Knight (deceased) who took a flyer on me, and fortunately it payed off with some good races and the odd lap record, so it was mutual respect. I doubt you would get that with the SWISH of today. If I were to make a come-back (dreaming of course) I would look seriously at short promotion money. That's the type of sponsor such as say, a Film Production Company, or a TV Indie, who wanted to promote a Production over a short period. I could offer them the right target audience, and a car in the "MOVIE COLORS", If anyone is still around that recalls my car, or has a photograph of it, if you look closely on the lower front was a decal advertising a JERRY LEWIS Movie! So, it still is out there. But hang on a minute, I'm giving all my trade secrets away. They will be featured in my new book "I'M GOOD ENOUGH TO SPONSOR!" Hey, have fun. Gerry.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1453690)   #6
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it's "buy my book, make me a mint, and I'll be back racing again" - is that right Gerry? Don't blame you! I bet it'll be a good read - when can I buy a copy?

As for the Superloons, they are still an inspriration to the lunatics like me.

Thanks for the tips.... would you like to be my manager.....

Rob.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1453722)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think you are right did you see the Star Wars promotion on DC's F1 car looked great. That is called vehicle wrapping and I actually have equipment at my shop to do jobs like this and it is big in NASCAR at the moment. It costs a few quid tp do a wrap but still cheaper than a repaint and it can come off when the promotion is finished. Way to go!
Old 6 Nov 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1453723)   #8
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Rob; never change eh? Still begging!
Old 7 Nov 2005, 04:56 (Ref:1453848)   #9
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

"The Book"

HI Guy's. The book idea was just a joke, but it would be a way to get a few bob? Mmmmm, now, let me see. Has there ever been any books on "How to get money from people by telling them I'm worth sponsoring"? (working title you understand). As for Managing matey........I'll ask my agent what the going rate is Ha,ha. Seriously though many years ago I did put together the beginings of a book "My life behind the wheel" (sub-titled,"My life behind Peter Baldwin") but I never finished it. Gerry.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1454017)   #10
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
And you see, Stanley's still racing - though he claims that he's going to retire from Miglias this year (yeah right!), and maybe do some historic stuff. But he sold the baby BDA mini!!! I do like the title of that book. I'm going to print this and fax it through to Pete!!

Dave, I'm a driver, I'll never stop begging!!!! (are you going to pay for tickets for me and the wife to go to the BARC SE dinner? - had to ask!!)
Old 7 Nov 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1454452)   #11
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

"THE BOOK"!

Hi, yeah, by all means pass it on to "Stanley" (?) I guess that's what you call Pete is it?.......We did have some good dices way back then, and I'm so pleased he's still at it. I have a glorious picture of us both in a big sideways drift coming round Woodcote, Peter is in the lead. I also have one or two with me in front of him. He was a very good driver and we trusted each other implicitally, and that equelled some really exciting racing. Please give him my best. Gerry.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1454522)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Did you ever race against Roger Nathan Gerry? I used to work for them as a mechanic in the late 60's I also knew Paul Hawkins (he liked a party) very well as the GT40 team had a workshop in the same building as did David Piper Ferrari,and was working there when Paul never returned from Oulton Park, a black Monday that will always stick in my mind, I was gutted what a loss of a great geezer.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1455153)   #13
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor
Hi, yeah, by all means pass it on to "Stanley" (?) I guess that's what you call Pete is it?.......

He was a very good driver and we trusted each other implicitally, and that equelled some really exciting racing. Please give him my best. Gerry.
Stanley Baldwin - former British Premier!

"Blimey, that's a name from the past" he said.

Peter will be racing a Mini with Graham Churchill next year in the FIA Historic Saloons. He's done a bit over the last few years, but the Miglias have taken up his full attention.

Gerry, you'll have to find an Angle-box somewhere and get out there!!

Rob.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1455429)   #14
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

"Oh That Stanley!"

Hi Guys, Now I know who you mean, Mr Baldwin the Prime Minister in power when I was a teenager (I really AM just kidding Guys!) Roger Nathan yes of course, David Piper I knew him but of course he was driving rather more expensive machinery than us guys. I never knew Paul though. That must have been a very sad time. During my career I lost Roger Williamson, who was a very close mate and I was in the race at Thruxton when dear Brian Tarrant was killed in his big A.40. Sad times, but as they say it goes with the territory, and they died doing what they loved best. Many years later in the eighties I sponsored a Superbike rider "Dave Potter" and Dave was also killed at Oulton. But onto happier things, YES I would love to bring an Anglia out and race it, but I fear that I'm not actually what you'd call "cutting edge" any more Ha,ha. In any case tell me what would an Anglia be able to compete in next year? My God what am I asking! You'll have me getting interested again!. Oh, yes, I also raced against Steve Soper, whatever happened to him! Gerry.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1455459)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well I came out from the cold after 8 years layoff Gerry and threw in with the Classic Touring Cars and in the brief time there have enjoyed the racing, I am sure the Anglia could find a slot in one of their catagouries.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1455629)   #16
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
There are plenty of places to race an Anglia Gerry. All depends how flush you are feeling!!

Classic Touring Cars, as Al mentions, is one home. Then there's the FIA Historics (if you like travelling abroad!).

You'd always be welcome in the Track & Race Cars series!!

Rob.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1456462)   #17
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

"ANGLIA........maybe?"

Hi guys, no I would not have the time or the money to race abroad. Tell me a little about Track & Race, what is that? Classic Touring Cars also. What is the Oversubscribed issue like? Does anyone have any idea of the cost of say a seasons racing with a saloon car? I am NOT talking about a race winning/Lap record breaker, but a car that would pass the scrutineering and not be an embarrassment, sort of middle to back of the field "Fun Racing" I think thats what I would be interested in. Gerry.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1456506)   #18
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry, the last two issues of Track and Race Cars magazine (looks like the old CCC) has details of costs and features on several of the TRC cars. Ranging from class A down to class D. Each round has two races, the grids are always full and the entry fee is generally around £150 (average). Races are run at Silverstone, Snetterton, Brands Hatch and Lydden plus an away round (this year it was Croix in France). Next year there will be a round at Castle Combe. The draft regs for next year should be available on the 19th at Brands. Come and have a look.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1457140)   #19
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

"Anglia......maybe?"

Hi Rod, thank you, I shall get hold of a copy and have a good read. It's been so long now since I looked at a Race Car Mag, seems barmy now, but when I was racing if my MN was a day late I would ring them up, and ask why?!! Sad or what. Anyway, thanks again. Gerry.