Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Nov 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3938899)   #126
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, Willie Poole.is on standby.
Old 6 Nov 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3938900)   #127
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Panel damage a slight understatement......
I thought as much....
Old 8 Nov 2019, 14:20 (Ref:3939240)   #128
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Some interesting comments from Diogo Ferrão in an email to his IHE competitors today. Suggests the relationship between organiser and circuit boss is not good, and because of that the IHE may not be returning to the AIA.

The meeting needs the grids Diogo brings as the UK numbers were down this year, with only the GTSCC grid being healthy. I can’t see it being viable next year without the Iberian support, so hope the circuit sees sense and considers the issues raised.....
Old 9 Nov 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3939441)   #129
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I went with my media hat on this year. My first visit. Quite a strange event. The circuit has had a lot of money spent on building it and thousands of seats but no PA/commentary system of screens for results for spectators to see.
There were perhaps a few hundred spectators at best and the admissions system could not have coped with any more. Do they not promote it? I reckon half the spectators were from the UK.
There were some good races but some poor ones with small grids. Four cars in the FF race of which only one was a FF. Others with single figure grids which soon got spread out. Two two hour races were really only for the drivers. The 50s sports cars running into the dark might seem a good idea but a dozen cars of varied speed did not make a spectacle.
62 Westfields was a recipe for disaster and it was, I think they actually got 4 laps in their first race that were not under the safety car.
I like to go to different events each year and I am glad I went but I would not return. I wonder of the circuit/organisers did not have their heart in it.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3939457)   #130
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some interesting comments from Diogo Ferrão in an email to his IHE competitors today. Suggests the relationship between organiser and circuit boss is not good, and because of that the IHE may not be returning to the AIA.

The meeting needs the grids Diogo brings as the UK numbers were down this year, with only the GTSCC grid being healthy. I can’t see it being viable next year without the Iberian support, so hope the circuit sees sense and considers the issues raised.....
Are you able to be more specific Mike? I like the meeting and think it's a good end the season - shame if there are problems
Old 9 Nov 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3939460)   #131
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Welcome to the forum, Derwent!

IMO one reason the event suffered reduced numbers this year because of the later date. When it started in 2009 (from memory) it was mid October, and stayed more or less there, until moving to the following weekend. This year the ELMS 4hr took precedence and the Classic was thrust into November. To make matters worse it was 2 weeks after a meeting at Estoril, making it difficult for some competitors to consider ‘back to back’ meetings in Portugal. If it had been the following weekend I’m sure there would have been more FJs, for instance.

Some grids such as U2TC have been poor this year regardless of location, so that has to be taken into consideration, and I don’t think any car meeting attracts big spectator numbers. Not sure how many attended the recent WSBK and ELMS weekends, but would be interesting to find out.

Since the circuit went bust and was taken over by the Portuguese government, it’s never been the most welcoming place, which is a shame because it’s a fabulous race track. They seem to be more interested nowadays in manufacturer events and exclusive track days. Maybe there’s more money to be made......
Old 9 Nov 2019, 16:42 (Ref:3939466)   #132
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Are you able to be more specific Mike? I like the meeting and think it's a good end the season - shame if there are problems
All those that attend, and many more that couldn’t make it this year, reckon it’s a good end to the season!

In a nutshell, sounds as if it’s not easy to forge a working relationship with the circuit boss(es)..... There's always been agro getting in on Wednesday eve, but to his credit, Diogo took control this year and we were allowed in at the appointed hour. Also, in previous years the circuit tried to turf everyone out Sunday eve, including truckers who legally couldn’t drive after having worked all day. Again, this year it was in the finals that competitors could stay until 0700 Monday.

One problem last weekend was a change to the carefully planned timetable. With shorter days in November, the organisers had a very tight schedule, only to be told on Friday that the circuit had arranged a road car session on Saturday off their own back, which had to be squeezed in.

There were also other issues mentioned, such as the way on track penalties were handled by the ‘stewards’, timing problems and no access to the VIP viewing tower for competitors, which has always been open to them before.

As I said in the previous post, it never feels the most welcoming circuit! Compare with Estoril- After Paul Ricard I drove there and parked up for a week. (Pre-arranged) Not even racing there. The staff I had contact with couldn’t have been more helpful and welcoming....
Old 9 Nov 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3939470)   #133
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Welcome to the forum, Derwent!

IMO one reason the event suffered reduced numbers this year because of the later date. When it started in 2009 (from memory) it was mid October, and stayed more or less there, until moving to the following weekend. This year the ELMS 4hr took precedence and the Classic was thrust into November. To make matters worse it was 2 weeks after a meeting at Estoril, making it difficult for some competitors to consider ‘back to back’ meetings in Portugal. If it had been the following weekend I’m sure there would have been more FJs, for instance.

Some grids such as U2TC have been poor this year regardless of location, so that has to be taken into consideration, and I don’t think any car meeting attracts big spectator numbers. Not sure how many attended the recent WSBK and ELMS weekends, but would be interesting to find out.

Since the circuit went bust and was taken over by the Portuguese government, it’s never been the most welcoming place, which is a shame because it’s a fabulous race track. They seem to be more interested nowadays in manufacturer events and exclusive track days. Maybe there’s more money to be made......
The 24 hr race in July had no spectators along with ELMS which had a few more.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3939473)   #134
Derwent
Racer

It must be difficult to be viable with no spectators. I wonder why it has no PA system. I've not been to any other circuit that has not got one.
I was dealing with the lass who was the commercial manager who seemed clueless re motorsport and has never been to another circuit.

I am not actually new. I've been a member for many years but when my Freeserve email addy went out and I got a new one I could not alter my profile to get back in.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3939484)   #135
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post

I am not actually new. I've been a member for many years but when my Freeserve email addy went out and I got a new one I could not alter my profile to get back in.
Ah, so you’re the member formerly known as ‘derwent motorsport’, then....
Old 10 Nov 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3939642)   #136
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I wonder why it has no PA system. I've not been to any other circuit that has not got one.
Thinking about that, the circuit does have a PA system, but I guess not all around the track. Maybe its broken..... In the paddock it was quite easy to listen to the dulcet tones of Marcus and the Portuguese commentator. Appreciate that's not much use to spectators the other side of the circuit!
Old 10 Nov 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3939654)   #137
Derwent
Racer

Quote:
Ah, so you’re the member formerly known as ‘derwent motorsport’, then....
Indeed I am!
Old 10 Nov 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3939661)   #138
one-two
Racer

Just to balance things up, I should say that I found the circuit staff pretty helpful.
Old 10 Nov 2019, 09:57 (Ref:3939664)   #139
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Just to balance things up, I should say that I found the circuit staff pretty helpful.
At ground level they are indeed helpful, and if we have had problems with security in the past, it’s because they were only following instructions from above....
Old 10 Nov 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3939670)   #140
Derwent
Racer

Quote:
Thinking about that, the circuit does have a PA system, but I guess not all around the track. Maybe its broken..... In the paddock it was quite easy to listen to the dulcet tones of Marcus and the Portuguese commentator. Appreciate that's not much use to spectators the other side of the circuit!
Well I was in the two stands on the edge of the paddock and never heard any commentary. I looked carefully to see if I could see any loudspeakers anywhere to no avail. There was also no PA in the stands on the start finish straight.
Old 10 Nov 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3939686)   #141
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Well I was in the two stands on the edge of the paddock and never heard any commentary. I looked carefully to see if I could see any loudspeakers anywhere to no avail. There was also no PA in the stands on the start finish straight.
Well I didn’t dream hearing the commentary while in the paddock, so it’s obviously very limited......
Old 10 Nov 2019, 12:20 (Ref:3939691)   #142
one-two
Racer

I too heard the dulcet tones of Marcus Pye
Old 10 Nov 2019, 12:38 (Ref:3939695)   #143
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
FWIIW, I would not bother going every year if it was not for the fact that the track is brilliant,I have been lucky and raced many different cars over the years and every year I just love getting back to the track .You just have to stand up to the security staff and after a while they give in and let you back in to the paddock.
The officials have their own ideas and I guess you just have to accept that's their way of doing things. I did think this year they were a lot more friendly.I even had a kiss and a cuddle with the pit lane lady chief marshal.
No juniors in 2020 but I sure hope we can take something there next year.
Atlantic's ?????
Old 10 Nov 2019, 13:12 (Ref:3939700)   #144
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, it is a pretty awesome track to drive on, and that draws me and many others back every year. Plus the weather, even if not perfect, will be better than UK.....

Let’s hope the organisers can negotiate a date back to mid October for next year. Weekend after Estoril would be neat......
Old 11 Nov 2019, 00:17 (Ref:3939835)   #145
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A shame to hear of the Sierra crash, Carey McMahon has been racing for years in Group A cars here and I don't think I've seen a mark on one of his cars.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 13:17 (Ref:3940566)   #146
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So guys, those of you that have done this event can you let me know the following, how long to drive there, which route across the water from UK and how many days of travel please.

I really fancy doing this event but this year the transport company never got back to me so Im contemplating driving there using my own trailer etc.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3940571)   #147
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ping me an e mail next week when I get back to UK with your contact number . I can talk you through the options .
Old 14 Nov 2019, 16:38 (Ref:3940594)   #148
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Cann View Post
So guys, those of you that have done this event can you let me know the following, how long to drive there, which route across the water from UK and how many days of travel please.

I really fancy doing this event but this year the transport company never got back to me so Im contemplating driving there using my own trailer etc.
Some do their own transport, Rikki, and there are many like delta taking trucks of various sizes. Talk to Iain.....