Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 25 Nov 2003, 07:36 (Ref:793617)   #1
YellowElan
Rookie

YellowElan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone racing school

I'm looking to get into single seaters and I can't decide which racing school to go to.

Anybody took the 5 day race intensive course (or any other course) offered at the Silverstone school?

What are your thoughts and how is the quality of instructions, content?

What other schools would you recommend besides Silverstone school?

Thanks for the help

Jonathan
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:43 (Ref:793738)   #2
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton is a good school, and has some of the best instrutors.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:55 (Ref:793758)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'd recommend Thruxton, but it does depend on your location as to how practical that is.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:27 (Ref:793840)   #4
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anywhere but Silverstone!
Nothing against the instructors but the circuit is featureless and far too wide.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 12:24 (Ref:793888)   #5
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Race School

It depends on what you want to get out of the training - if you are after race experience then I would say the Silverstone School is probably the best place and offers the best value for money. I did the 5 day intensive in 1999 and while I thought I could've done with a bit more track time than I got on the whole it offers good value AND you get a license with a signature (National B) at the end of the course (providing you don't stack the car).

With Jim Russell now non-existent in the UK (a great shame in my opinion) as far as I am aware there are no other schools in the UK that offer that level of tuition, the rest do a basic ARDS course or a track day where you get a certificate to take home. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed a day at Thruxton back in '98 driving a Rover Coupe and FRenault with the Ian Taylor School.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 14:27 (Ref:794055)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I did my Ards at the IT school, Thruxton, most of what they had there where flash cars for boy racers to hoon around, although the instructors will also take you out for private instruction, in the MG's an dsingle seaters etc which I reckon is useful, I intend popping back for a sesh before my first race.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 15:16 (Ref:794093)   #7
archibold
Racer

United Kingdom
London
archibold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely recommend Silverstone. I went there a few years ago and went from back of the grid to the front. Any talk of Silverstone being too wide is odd as most of the teaching is on the Stowe circuit (not renowned for it's width) ?! Things I learnt in 5 days 3 years ago are still now clicking into place. I also met an instructor who I got on with and he's been helping ever since....definitely the best money I have spent in racing.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 05:41 (Ref:794678)   #8
YellowElan
Rookie

Thanks for all the responds to my questions. I want to clarify that my purpose of taking the school is to develop the skills such as driving techniques, racecraft that are necessary to race a formula racing car.

I have checked the Iantaylor.co.uk and Thruxton race school website, and their website are identical. So, I assume that people that recommend the Thruxton School is talking about the Ian Taylor School. Looks like they are offering more of an experience in different type of cars instead of the race tuition that I’m looking for.

Archibald: The 5-day Silverstone School is held at the TINY triangular Stowe Circuit? Wow, that’s not much road. I thought I could have run on the international or grand prix circuit. Looks like I need to keep searching.

Jonathan
Old 26 Nov 2003, 07:57 (Ref:794751)   #9
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did the SRS 5 Day course 18 months ago and whilst its a reasonably big outlay I still think that its worth doing and ultimately good value for money. I don't think that I would have dared sit in single seater and raced for the first time having just done a one day ARDS test but that probably says a lot about me!

The Stowe circuit might be tiny but its easy to learn, big enough to gain experience on, you get loads of seat time and the instructors can see everything that goes on rather than having students out of view for ages. You can't get away with anything.

The course certainly allows you to hone driving technique, observation heel and toeing etc and goes into things such as wet weather racing, racing fitness, starting technique, as well as advanced car control in "skid cars". Talking to istructors such as Robin Liddell etc is also an invaluable source of info.

I recommend it.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 08:05 (Ref:794754)   #10
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by YellowElan
The 5-day Silverstone School is held at the TINY triangular Stowe Circuit? Wow, that’s not much road. I thought I could have run on the international or grand prix circuit. Looks like I need to keep searching.
?? I thought you wanted to learn to drive. I didn't realise you wanted to do British GP tyre testing in the same week.

Stowe is short but if you want to learn I'd have thought it's perfect.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 09:57 (Ref:794824)   #11
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for all the responds to my questions. I want to clarify that my purpose of taking the school is to develop the skills such as driving techniques, racecraft...
Best way to learn racecraft is to go racing! IMHO Silverstone teach a very "proper" way of racing - the school races always seem very "neat" (apart from the spins...). It may not be "good" technique but sometimes you do need to put two-wheels over a kerb, use the grass, nudge some cones out of way, etc. and I've never seen this happen in one of the school races.

Go and buy/borrow/rent a single seater (or 2CV or Caterham or saloon) and you could be out this weekend at Stowe - £100 for two races in the going rate.

Last edited by graeme; 26 Nov 2003 at 09:58.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 13:35 (Ref:795037)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you are looking to go into it seriously do the Silverstone course - if you want to do clubbie racing like the rest of us save you cash and go to somewhere like Thruxton and spend the difference on racing - you will be at the back of the grid but you can then get some one on one after the first few races. I had some individual tuyition at Silverstone and it taught me a lot
Old 26 Nov 2003, 21:30 (Ref:795489)   #13
Red Dog
Racer

You can get personal tuition from top instructors at most circuits - thats not what the usual Silverstone school course offers but you can hire an instructor there for one to one, if you like. My feeling about Silverstone is that all of the circuits - I have driven GP, International, South GP, and Club - are difficult to sight and learn and because the track is so wide you feel lost(at first anyway). That said, the run off areas are really big and safe. As for Stowe circuit it's hardly representative of British club cicuits, is it?
Old 27 Nov 2003, 00:11 (Ref:795632)   #14
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Hamish Weir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did the 5 day coures in summer 2002 and thought it was ok but was a bit short in some areas. As for stowe yeah I agree it is too small with only North, West,South and the esses it aint much of a circuit. As for the instructors yeah there good. They help you in anyway they can. Im looking st doing the "speed secrets course in the U.S. Read the books and there good.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 00:25 (Ref:795646)   #15
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going off on a slight tangeant, I remember hearing a rumour from someone (I cannot remember for the life of me who, maybe someone at the BARC who run the Stowe meets) that the Silverstone School were planning on increasing the length of the Stowe circuit to just over a mile this winter time ready for '04.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 00:30 (Ref:795651)   #16
Red Dog
Racer

How about the Jim Russel School featured on the 'Drive to Win' video/ I think the circuit is Mont Tremblant....snag is it's in Canada, but it looked excellent.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 06:35 (Ref:796704)   #17
YellowElan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
How about the Jim Russel School featured on the 'Drive to Win' video/ I think the circuit is Mont Tremblant....snag is it's in Canada, but it looked excellent.
I live in Canada, so going there would not be a problem for me. I like the circuit and city, but I would not go there because of an issue with the owner. However, I will consider going to Jim Russell US though (different owner).

Jon
Old 28 Nov 2003, 07:56 (Ref:796786)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
in which case forget Silverstone and go to US and use the saved money twds your first car!
Old 28 Nov 2003, 13:39 (Ref:797095)   #19
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch!

Good school, great instructures!
Old 28 Nov 2003, 13:58 (Ref:797116)   #20
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If you are really serious, do minimu school to qualify for your licence (whichever is cheapest) then take a one-on-one from one of the many racing drivers out there who offer the service (i.e. most). you can then choose the instructor you like for the type of racing you want
Old 28 Nov 2003, 23:52 (Ref:797624)   #21
Red Dog
Racer

Quote:
I would not go there because of an issue with the owner.

Jon
Ooooh, dish the dirt!
Old 2 Dec 2003, 17:04 (Ref:801647)   #22
hys911
Rookie

hys911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you guys let me know the websites for the following racing school?
Brands Hatch.
Silverstone racing school.
Any other place in UK that i can learn about formula car set up , tuning, engineering?
Thx
Old 3 Dec 2003, 11:37 (Ref:802475)   #23
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Try www.brandshatchcircuits.com

There is a link to the racing schools i think.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 12:40 (Ref:802542)   #24
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone recomend an instructor or driver for one to one tuition, preferably in the south of England?
Old 4 Dec 2003, 11:18 (Ref:803579)   #25
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Try the Brands Hatch School and ask for Paul Sleeman.
He races Historic Formula Fords and is a fully qualified instructure.