Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Jan 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2619079)   #51
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Yessss,thats the chapie,thanks Peter.
Just heard that the Whale B sold for its asking price! [Hope yet for us B owners.LoL]
Well come on then.???????. How much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 Jan 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2619080)   #52
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that was 50k!
Old 25 Jan 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2619082)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Scary stuff! Where's the money coming from?
Old 25 Jan 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2619087)   #54
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Scary stuff! Where's the money coming from?
All of us having been shifted for being OT not sure about this...try a banker.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2619088)   #55
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Why is 50 Grand for a race ready B with some history not resonable?

When you consider the costs of preparing one it makes sense.

Mr Whale is in the early stages of becoming a sole classic car dealer and his margins with some cars do seem to be optimistic and best of luck if anyone wants to pay the rate.They are only toys!They always say they have got full price!

I want an Eleven or Elite but seem to have sorted a 50's Speedster.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2619089)   #56
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good question, I think this year will sort out the "Johnny come lately's" from the real collectors as traditional markets recover
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2619097)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John,

Seem to me that there's 25k for the "history" in that price. But as you say, if it floats the boat then why not? In the context of the thread though it does seem to be a benchmark for a B.

My question re the money was a genuine one because if you wanted to race a historic car then surely there are others of equal cost that would be more suitable/saleable?
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2619107)   #58
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Dave still has his Capri, or did when I popped up to see him just before Christmas. 16k is certainly a lot less than it would cost to prepare any old Ford from scratch/standard
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:21 (Ref:2619110)   #59
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My car has a fair history to it but I certainly would not expect a tag of 50k for it.
I take the point of building from scratch though,but that largely depends on the builder to start with.You can buy 'off the shelf' at 32 for what is to all intents and purpose's a 'continuation car'.Depends on if its necessary to buy the history as well.

[be looking for 65k for mine really]

Last edited by terence; 25 Jan 2010 at 13:27.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2619112)   #60
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
WE built a FIA MGB last year.Do you know what if i charged the customer the full amount of hours spent building, research ,telephone calls to Terry ect £50 Grand would probaly been about right.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2619121)   #61
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But I thought you reverse called me Iain?

On the subject of 'Simons' site,I see the ex Joe Ward car [second one] is up for 65k,that IS a good buy if you want a Griff. Huge amounts were thrown at that car,thats without what the current owner has spent,it also has a very good history.

BTW John R,I heard from the new owner of the Whale car,no one else.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2619127)   #62
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Always say you paid max then it's easier to sell when that time arrives!
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2619128)   #63
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Dave still has his Capri, or did when I popped up to see him just before Christmas. 16k is certainly a lot less than it would cost to prepare any old Ford from scratch/standard
Or you could by Group 1 championship winner Jim Maclaughlin's rolling shell (unless sold but he was not asking a fortune) for a very good price and come in at a fair bit less.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2619131)   #64
simon drabble
Veteran

I have to say in the world of "normal" cars I would prefer to take £32k to MG Motorsport or similar and get them to build an all singing all dancing car and spend the £18k difference on race entries! Unless its works or strong name in period it is not worth a premium (IMHO).
Old 25 Jan 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2619136)   #65
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Exactly Simon,[perhaps a different builder though] however,I know the buyer well enough to know that he would only tell me the truth
Another car that seems to be getting a fair amount of interest now [for whatever reason] is MG Magnettes,seems that to get a good one now will cost circa 12.5k.Cheaper end revival perhaps?
Old 25 Jan 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2619146)   #66
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The Chevrons are interesting in the fact that the real ones seem to, B 8,16,19, actually sell for up to 240K GPB despite the influx of pretend cars.Can't see this lasting
On that I agree John, the big problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff.
Having spent a considerable amount of time recently sourcing a B16/19/21/23 and eventual purchase of a B21 for an associate, there are too many of these cars that are not, in my opinion, what they claim to be. For me, if one of these cars is re-built with a completely new chassis, and the original chassis is not retained, or sold on without it; it then ceases to be an original car. Similarly, if a B16 is re-built as a natural progression to a B23 and returned to a B16, mainly because market forces dictate, and all the original components are not incorporated it is not an original car. In such cases the members of the L.L.B fraternity would have, in what is termed, 'a field day'.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 15:14 (Ref:2619167)   #67
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Completely agree on that point of view.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2619178)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Or you could by Group 1 championship winner Jim Maclaughlin's rolling shell (unless sold but he was not asking a fortune) for a very good price and come in at a fair bit less.
Al,

Jim's rolling shell would need an engine, some fairly minor but necessary body mods to bring it back in line with the regs and a gearbox. Engine would be 8k minimum (Jim's was/is 15k), Suspension 4k, Brakes 2-3k and gearbox 4-5k. So with the shell (I don't know what he's selling for) you won't see much from 20k.

I do not exaggerate just telling people that to make one go well (legally) is not the work of a few pennies.

Thus if a well sorted Grp 1 Capri comes up for less than 15k and you want to race one, you'd be getting a bargain.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2619195)   #69
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jaap Ruben just paid around quarter of a million euros for the unrestorable Bugatti that has been stored in a Swiss lake for over 70 years.
That makes all the running cars discussed here seem like great value!
Old 25 Jan 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2619197)   #70
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Why is 50 Grand for a race ready B with some history not resonable?

When you consider the costs of preparing one it makes sense.

Mr Whale is in the early stages of becoming a sole classic car dealer and his margins with some cars do seem to be optimistic and best of luck if anyone wants to pay the rate.They are only toys!They always say they have got full price!

I want an Eleven or Elite but seem to have sorted a 50's Speedster.
What about a lovely Elva Mark 1....
Old 25 Jan 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2619200)   #71
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Once again cannot do Main Tour events nor LMC
Old 25 Jan 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2619208)   #72
simon drabble
Veteran

I have just googled a Mk1 - it is a pretty little car. Did it use the 1100 Climax engine? If so that is the problem from my point of view, in period it woudl have had Elevens in club spec to compete againist but now they all run 1500 engines and Lola's with 1220 will be as quick as 1500 Elevens. In fact there is a compelling argument that 17's should run 750cc engines but as Delta and Peter Horsman will quickly tell us fortunately for them one ran with a 1220 engine!
Old 25 Jan 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2619259)   #73
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I have just googled a Mk1 - it is a pretty little car. Did it use the 1100 Climax engine? If so that is the problem from my point of view, in period it woudl have had Elevens in club spec to compete againist but now they all run 1500 engines and Lola's with 1220 will be as quick as 1500 Elevens. In fact there is a compelling argument that 17's should run 750cc engines but as Delta and Peter Horsman will quickly tell us fortunately for them one ran with a 1220 engine!
Yes it is the first one that ran a Climax, prior to that they ran Elva overhead valve converisons on Ford sidevalves.
It will be an interesting alternative to Club Elevens but the smaller engine might be a handicap.
This one has a Rochdale F-type body and should be ready for Goodwood this year which is one of the places it raced originally.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2619261)   #74
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Whilst Nick Whale believes his Hesketh 911 value is justified regardless of who may or may not have driven it I think the same cannot be said for The Ex-Michael Schumacher Van Diemen Formula Ford on Fleabay - yours for a knock down price of £20k.... and to think I sold a Button commer cadet engine for £90.........
You won't buy the F.Ford for anything like that start price...
But it is the only non-F1 Schumacher car that is buyable and it is rather cheaper than any of his F1 cars.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 19:08 (Ref:2619312)   #75
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Al,

Jim's rolling shell would need an engine, some fairly minor but necessary body mods to bring it back in line with the regs and a gearbox. Engine would be 8k minimum (Jim's was/is 15k), Suspension 4k, Brakes 2-3k and gearbox 4-5k. So with the shell (I don't know what he's selling for) you won't see much from 20k.

I do not exaggerate just telling people that to make one go well (legally) is not the work of a few pennies.

Thus if a well sorted Grp 1 Capri comes up for less than 15k and you want to race one, you'd be getting a bargain.
It was to be sold complete less engine as I understood it Pete. When I mentioned on another thread about 15k V6 Capri engines my post was ridiculed but it reminds me of just why i race Chevys!!!