Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 Mar 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1566398)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New Donington Park Pit Lane

The New Pit Lane at Donington Park was officially opened today by Jodie Marsh and Ron Haslam. Some of the Midlands Region Committee were in attendance, along with Eric Ridler, National Anorak Officer.

The new race control building is certainly very nice with potted plants, carpets and a lift!

I would point out to anyone who is planning to marshal in the pit lane this season that there are "ramps" between each set of two garages. If you stand at the entrance to the pit lane all you can see are yellow lines which look like demarcation lines between the different garages. However, if you stand at the bottom of the pit lane and look up towards the entrance, you can see that there are definite "steps". Hopefully at least one of the photographs shows this.

Also, for anyone marshalling in the pit lane, be warned that (today at least) there were NO foam extinguishers, only powder.

You may also want to be aware that the "top" gate into the paddock is extremely narrow, the space previously used for course cars etc having now been converted into garages.

I have taken some photographs of the new pit lane which are available to view here http://www.marshalspost.com/gallery/190.html#

If anyone has any comments or questions, please feel free to PM or e-mail me and I'll do my best to answer.

Sheila
Old 31 Mar 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1566425)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm nice pics Sheila thanks for sharing those. How do you think the LMES cars will deal with the ramps when entering and exiting their pit boxes for pit stops?
Old 31 Mar 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1566438)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Hmm nice pics Sheila thanks for sharing those. How do you think the LMES cars will deal with the ramps when entering and exiting their pit boxes for pit stops?
It will be extremely difficult for them I think. I have spent a considerable amount of time today talking to various drivers of various cars who were present and the general concensus of opinion is that the ramps are going to present problems of varying degrees to all the cars.

It's very difficult to explain in text but if you want to give me a call so I can explain, please do.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1566440)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Erm can I ask...why Jodie Marsh?! Thanks for pics.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1566452)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Erm can I ask...why Jodie Marsh?! .
Cos she has big boobs?

Last edited by Tim Falce; 31 Mar 2006 at 20:36. Reason: auto sensor not that good
Old 31 Mar 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1566457)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heh well that was what I was thinking...looks (the pit lane) good though.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1566467)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What is the "Deliberate Mistake" you refer to in one of the piccies?
Old 31 Mar 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1566474)   #8
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very strange having a stepped pitlane; and those fire extinguishers look very vulnerable!
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1566490)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was going to ask that myself Mark!

Hmmm, yes, it looks a lot better now doesn't it? Quite why this should mean a saggy chested model with a silly nose should open it is anyones guess! Is she familiar with the Craner Curves and suchlike (no jokes please)?

I'm confused as to the purpose of the ramps...any explanation of them at all? Do any other circuits have them? It's a new one on me!

Perhaps it's a scheme to spice things up, with cars charging into the old hairpin with their front wings/splitters left behind on the sleeping policemen in their pitboxes!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 31 Mar 2006 at 21:14. Reason: Several pathetic errors. i am tired, OK?
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1566500)   #10
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The ramps I would imagine are to deal with the gradient in the pit lane whilst ensuring that each garage has a flat area in front of it (does that make sense?). Sheila, no time this weekend unfortunatly but we can catch up soon. The problem for GT cars and other low slung cars that need to get in and out of pit boxes quickly is pretty apparent from the pics.

It looks lovely and pretty though. Shame there wasn't enough dosh left over the paint the wall by the top gate!!
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1566511)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Certainly makes sense, but surely there is no more gradient than before?

And in any case, why not just level the whole lane out?
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1566515)   #12
Piglet
Veteran

There was always a downhill slope to the pit lane, levelling it out would presumably have required quite a lot more groundwork as there is a fair difference between the height of the top of the lane and the bottom.

I'd imagine that flat working areas are better for both cars and bikes.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1566516)   #13
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
What is the "Deliberate Mistake" you refer to in one of the piccies?

Which Club do you belong to? British Motorsports Marshals Club isn't it? Look again!
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1566517)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, I suppose on reflection there wasn't enough time to get it levelled out in time for the big events.

Still odd though to have these steps.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1566518)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Yes, I suppose on reflection there wasn't enough time to get it levelled out in time for the big events.

Still odd though to have these steps.
I think you'll find that other circuits (Oulton, Snetterton) have them. However Oulton and Snetterton are not set up mainly for bikes.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1566519)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Which Club do you belong to? British Motorsports Marshals Club isn't it? Look again!
Correct me if I'm wrong but the "Official" name of the Club is STILL the British Motor Racing Marshals Club t/a the BMMC
(Unless it has been changed and no one told me!
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1566530)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
I think you'll find that other circuits (Oulton, Snetterton) have them. However Oulton and Snetterton are not set up mainly for bikes.
Ah, well, I wasn't aware of that.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1566532)   #18
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Correct me if I'm wrong but the "Official" name of the Club is STILL the British Motor Racing Marshals Club t/a the BMMC
(Unless it has been changed and no one told me!
I bought some overalls off eric ridler last week, and he asked for the cheque to be made payable to "BMRMC Ltd.". As for the ramps, they look shallower towards the fast lane end, and so shouldn't be an issue as the cars aren't going to have a tight enough lock to hit the really steep bit.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1566726)   #19
Piglet
Veteran

I doubt the LMES cars have enough lock to get into the box let alone get out of it particularly once the air line structures are in place.

If the ramps are sloped front to back this will add an additional problem for the cars that have "launch" systems imagine what would happen if one wheel dropped into a dip once the launch system is engaged.

From the pictures and thinking particularly of LMES I think there are some real challenges to be overcome.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 07:17 (Ref:1566737)   #20
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wensleydale
The ramps, they look shallower towards the fast lane end, and so shouldn't be an issue as the cars aren't going to have a tight enough lock to hit the really steep bit.

I'm not sure these steps or ramps are not a potential problem, the Audi "launch control system" I understand and having spent many hours in the pit lane with them, believe works in a way that the driver has no input, the removal of the airline for the jacks triggers a sequence of events that puts the car on the ground running i.e. at the pit lane speed limit. This is great for fast get always on a nice level pit lane but if we introduce a stepped pit lane - pass I don’t know what the effect would be.

Another point in an endurance pit lane the teams work with each other to ensure the adjacent garages are clear when cars pit, hence allowing the cars to sweep in and out because its safer and easier than diving in and out. The steps may IMO cause a problem as the cars will drive over them on the way in and under launch control on the way out.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1566743)   #21
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When we did the marshals track day at Oulton, Mike Newton brought one of his LMP2 cars. Even slow entry to the pits, and trying to get onto the apron outside the garage, was difficult with the ramps. The car bottomed out every time it went over the ramp. I hate to think that what would happen during the LMES.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1566757)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
At first glance I thought they were speed humps and they were just waiting for the Gatsos to be delivered. Looking again are they just a means to level each garage frontage out.

As for pit stops, looking at the picture "Pit Lane View" would the teams do refuelling and tyre changes on the tarmac bit to the left (pit side) of the yellow chevrons and the right side would be for approach and driving on? If this is the case then should that bit not have been concrete as well as fuel, oil and tarmac don't mix too well.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1566770)   #23
DWA
Racer

England
Enfield
DWA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will wait and see, but is this not another example of a circuit being modified to suit its main event, in this case MotoGP, after Silverstone being changed in line with Formula 1 requirements.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1566782)   #24
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
As for pit stops, looking at the picture "Pit Lane View" would the teams do refuelling and tyre changes on the tarmac bit to the left (pit side) of the yellow chevrons and the right side would be for approach and driving on? If this is the case then should that bit not have been concrete as well as fuel, oil and tarmac don't mix too well.
I don't have the Blue Book or the FIA reg's to hand but I *think* that most circuit specifications require a pit lane to have three distinct lanes, a fast lane (outside) a slow lane (middle) and a working lane (garage side). This ensures that there is always separation between the working lane and fast moving cars and leaves space for cars to be pushed etc. etc.

I'm not sure if LMES could change its reg's to allow the middle lane to be used for working? I certainly wouldn't fancy changing wheels on the offside of a car adjacent to the fast lane!! There would also presumably be some more practical issues of airlines and fuel rigs being designed to be adjacent to the garages? At Silverstone the concrete is wide enough that it is possible to effectively create a fourth lane meaning that the cars wouldn't necessarily have to get all the way "into the box" -I can't see from the photos that there would be enough room here for that to happen?

It's gonna be interesting!
Old 1 Apr 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1566841)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
I don't have the Blue Book or the FIA reg's to hand but I *think* that most circuit specifications require a pit lane to have three distinct lanes, a fast lane (outside) a slow lane (middle) and a working lane (garage side). This ensures that there is always separation between the working lane and fast moving cars and leaves space for cars to be pushed etc. etc.
That's as I understand it. Surely Donington must have consulted someone over this? I mean, I assume they knew what they were doing... Has there been any sort of official comment?