Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Oct 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2968456)   #26
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post

The old dinner party joke always comes to mind..."How can you identify a racing driver at a party?"....Don't worry he will tell you!!

N.
Not nowadays - replace that with Golf amateurs / beginners. Happens constantly in my family.....(no, I am not Golfing...).

Ralf
Old 10 Oct 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2968475)   #27
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
The requirements for membership are clearly laid out.

"Membership of the British Racing Drivers’ Club is highly sought after and offered only to those who have achieved success at the highest levels of motor sport."
But that could also be as an engineer or administrator or, as Murray Walker demonstrates, as a commentator.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2968621)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely correct Andy.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2968656)   #29
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
But that could also be as an engineer or administrator or, as Murray Walker demonstrates, as a commentator.
Indeed, and in my experience members come from many different backgrounds, both social and economic, and cross all the age barriers too. Quite obviously the likes of myself will never aspire to be a member, but as a visiting guest I have always found the BRDC to be a very friendly and welcoming place, and it most certainly has never felt 'snobby' or elitist to me.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2968681)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have fond memories of the occasional beer or two with a crowd of 'the old school' of members. Two of whom were more than worthy of their Associate Member Status ,but they were/are old school.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2968849)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Way back, when we would pop up to Silverstone on a Friday afternoon for a bit of testing. Lunch before hand in the old BRDC Club house open to one and all. I remember sitting next to Wattie and having a good old natter. Happy days
Old 10 Oct 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2968891)   #32
Giraffe138
Racer

There was a right old mix in there on Sunday with Martin Colvill & John Rulon-Miller in our party, Sir Malcolm Guthrie, Tim Parnell & John Surtees scullling about with historic racers Joe Twyman and Ollie Bryant amongst the younger faces.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 02:58 (Ref:2969017)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Way back, ...... I remember sitting next to Wattie and having a good old natter. Happy days
That would be James Watt then would it Iain?

Old 11 Oct 2011, 05:31 (Ref:2969041)   #34
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
That would be James Watt then would it Iain?

More likely John Watson
Old 11 Oct 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2969127)   #35
Giraffe138
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
More likely John Watson
Never? I thought he meant Watt Tyler (see Peasant's Revolt)?!?!
Old 11 Oct 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2969306)   #36
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That would be my ancestor then...

...oh sorry, the real Midgetman name is "Tyler" (can just hear JR saying "if you used your real name not a silly nickname that would have been obvious")
Old 11 Oct 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2969319)   #37
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The TFN lot will tell you that this is Peasants Gossip column.

JT can change his name to WT.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2969757)   #38
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
If this does happen perhaps they could take the Festival back,take Fitz on as a consultant(if he's not playing golf)and we could have two Top Historic Race Meetings a year.

Dreaming!
Yup! A return to categories of membership, as to messers Button Hamilton, et al could the club afford the cost of the space required for the badge?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2969774)   #39
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mansell always had one on his car - I cant believe they cannot find room on their car for one (unless Bernie has banned them as part of his crusade!). Would be a fitting way of thanking the club for its support in the early days
Old 12 Oct 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2969777)   #40
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
In reference to the the 'How do you spot a race driver ' comment, I never raise the subject that I drive race cars for a hobby anymore because as soon as you do the first question they throw at you is "How much do you get for winning a race". When I reply nothing and it costs me hundreds of pounds just to enter they look back in stark disbelieve like I am some sort of madman. Gave up raising it in conversation years ago and if someone else does I try to change the subject and play it down.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2970008)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the sign of a true pro
Old 12 Oct 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2970033)   #42
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
In reference to the the 'How do you spot a race driver ' comment, I never raise the subject that I drive race cars for a hobby anymore because as soon as you do the first question they throw at you is "How much do you get for winning a race". When I reply nothing and it costs me hundreds of pounds just to enter they look back in stark disbelieve like I am some sort of madman. Gave up raising it in conversation years ago and if someone else does I try to change the subject and play it down.
Better not tell them you once raced against Jeremy Clarkson then. They might think you're the Stig!

Last edited by gary396; 12 Oct 2011 at 18:04. Reason: missed word
Old 12 Oct 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2970083)   #43
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ha ha that'll be the day! Actually I did suspect the guy that was driving the camera car may have been the new stig because he certainly could drive. Now what was his name, ah yes Nicky Faulkner I think it was.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:02 (Ref:2970304)   #44
Giraffe138
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYTONASME View Post
==========================

Amongst others, are not "historic" regulars, and highly successful drivers in their own right - Gary Pearson, Martin Stretton, Peter Hardman and Michael Schryver all BRDC members?

Ed
....and there are several more in the waiting room, which probably gave rise to Tony Dron's article.....
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2970308)   #45
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tony all of those guys were made members on their efforts in modern cars back in the day
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2970315)   #46
Giraffe138
Racer

By defination, being a club they and they alone can decide upon the criteria by which they select their members. We can all have an opinion, but quite correctly those opinions stand for nothing.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2971039)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Drabble
Tony all of those guys were made members on their efforts in modern cars back in the day
Yes, Simon, you said that before but what exactly did they achieve in modern cars? Was any of it outstanding in their particular series/events? This is not a criticism merely a question to which I really don't know the answer. They are all however amongst the very best in historic racing.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2971048)   #48
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Works Porsche,Triumph Dolly Sprints for Broadspeed,[I think] Tony has earned his membership John. [He cant half drink BTW]
Old 14 Oct 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2971052)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
True, and I know that, Terry, but I was asking about those 4 on the list mentioned on a previous post; he's not one of them!
Old 14 Oct 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2971074)   #50
Giraffe138
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
. [He cant half drink BTW]
I suspect that's useful to mention when submitting your application......