Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Feb 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3206022)   #126
KineticEnergy
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
KineticEnergy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And looks like a back yard mounting job too.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 07:52 (Ref:3206061)   #127
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
liking the pics so far GTR. to me the Mercedes sound more different then the others and unique, they sound a bit like an F1 on gear change. probably the best one yet, would love to hear it at full throttle. A clip of what each car sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QeSX...Adx6_w&index=1
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:07 (Ref:3206066)   #128
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
liking the pics so far GTR. to me the Mercedes sound more different then the others and unique, they sound a bit like an F1 on gear change. probably the best one yet, would love to hear it at full throttle. A clip of what each car sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QeSX...Adx6_w&index=1
Thanks FAS, I didn't like the sound of the Merc much (too high pitched).........I think the Nissan sounded best.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:12 (Ref:3206067)   #129
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Thanks FAS, I didn't like the sound of the Merc much (too high pitched).........I think the Nissan sounded best.
Mercedes Onboard Here

The gearbox is noisy... but from the sound here, its like the engine isnt too stressed?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3206073)   #130
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Going on what video footage I have seen from SMP the FPR Ford sound the best and the Merc the quietest ( considering there road car sound awesome ) Holden & Nissan sound pretty normal ( boring )
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3206078)   #131
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Going on what video footage I have seen from SMP the FPR Ford sound the best and the Merc the quietest ( considering there road car sound awesome ) Holden & Nissan sound pretty normal ( boring )
The FPR cars sound similar to last year, a full throated rumble... but I suspect their handling isnt quite up to snuff just yet...

Clipsal will show who learned anything from yesterday
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Feb 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3206101)   #132
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I attended the whole day....my observations:
Not clear if some of the teams were foxing all day, but top times were mainly Holden dominated. Bragging rights are fine but nothing known about fuel loads, tyre quality etc.
Im impressed with the Nissans and Mercs, very popular with fans on the grid walk, they will have a lot of new fans, despite losing some old ones from KR and SBR.
Engine notes...Holden sounded normal, Ford were loud in all instances, the Nissan close to the Holden and the Merc, at full noise....just a treat....also gets a good rattle and splatter up when on the pit limiter. Very different.
Paint....Red Bull...just boring Red Bull standard design. Pepsi...really cool in the flesh, and they did run with blue wheels on the 6 and it looked pretty good too.
Best of the Holdens for mine is the SCA car of Ingall.
The new rear bumper of the Commodore looks rubbish given the two scallops where the exhaust would be ar just two bare gaps...not for me. The darker the paint the better the cars look though.
At least with the Commodore toyota could see what the rear of a camry V8SC would look like.....just stirring.
The practice of the new double file restart was pretty interesting, some precious ones not participating, but to watch was good, about 15 cars at full tilt was great.
Oh...The giz, first out on track after the rain with a few slides for the crowd, he didnt lose any fans from that which brought cheers from the crowd in the grandstand.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3206307)   #133
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
I've never heard anyone describe a V8 engine as boring before. But then you guys hear them all the time!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 22:00 (Ref:3206372)   #134
Stand21
Rookie

Stand21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I've never heard anyone describe a V8 engine as boring before. But then you guys hear them all the time!
Its true, l attended Sandown in 2011 & when all 28 cars sound the same & change into top gear at the same point, the sound did become boring.
In fact the only time the grandstand stirred was when the Group C&A race was on. With V8s of all kinds plus turbos, 6s & the amazing roar of the Jag V12, it got your attention.

Hopefully the new gen V8SC era will do the same for our ears & Mercedes has already come to the party on that one.

Variety is still the spice of life!!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3206392)   #135
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Merc kinda sounds like an old F1 car!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:05 (Ref:3206411)   #136
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you could tell when a Merc was about to come around a blind corner from the engine note. Irwin looks awesome, SP Tools good, HHA ugly. Plenty of Erebus MS apparel being worn amongst the crowd, even saw a few Mercs coming in driven by the public. Not so much in the way of Nissan apparel though

no PA until late in the morning. Grid walk was better done than 2011, with the cars staggered along the front straight better, allowed human traffic to flow through better. Wouldn't have liked to be lined up at the pit exit gate to get on to the grid from 11.30 like some were though.

but the main issue: expecting 17800 or whatever the number was to come into a single gate entrance. From the north it was ridiculous. However I suspect this was a SMP thing rather than a V8SC thing. If SMP want people to come to a potential race meeting they need to fix this quicksmart. Having to que for 30 min to get from EC Tavern to the gate at 8.30am is ridiculous, imagine what it would be like for a Sunday of a race weekend.

I understand it was free which may have meant more people than a paying event, but V8SC are trying promoting it as something to attend, why not make the most of it and make it the best it can be? Current new 2013 merch rather than discount old stuff? I understand the teams may not have new merch organised or are more concentrating on getting the cars out, but why use it as a dumping ground for old merch?
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3206465)   #137
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at right on 25 past 8 we hit the traffic at the front gat and it took 20 mins to get around to the gate where you turn off Ferrer's road and as we were getting dropped off got out and walked the rest of the way and from there to the gate entering SMP we overtook about 20 cars. when we got down to the pits got a phone call informing us the traffic was back out to the great western highway.

why the front gate wasn't open for people getting dropped off or parking around the front wasn't open i have NFI.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 01:30 (Ref:3206489)   #138
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
when it was at winton a few years ago, it took us half an hour to get in. typically it takes about 5 mins on race day (they were using only one gate)

No issues at Sandown last year. Parked and walked straight in (but you dont have to aprk inside the tarck at Sandown)
Old 18 Feb 2013, 01:36 (Ref:3206491)   #139
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We got straight in at 08.20. What is the Big problem with using car parking on the main straight.
Easy solution to a big problem that turns alot of people away.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 02:47 (Ref:3206507)   #140
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I guess it comes down to its free entry, so the track/series isnt stumping up for parking attendants etc (or at least not at the same level)
Old 18 Feb 2013, 02:56 (Ref:3206510)   #141
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I arrived after lunch, I came from the M4 Exit before the twin servos and came in via Peter Brock Drive.

People were parked on Peter Brock Drive all the way back to the Twin Servo and past the Karting Track. Got through the roundabout and continued around the back of the race track towards the Dragway. Parked there with little hassle (there were SMP/WSID People directing parking and walked in to the circuit from the south. Got to the Merch area. There was some new FPR merch but not a lot, there was the new Commodore as well, but it wasn't getting that much attention. Got in line for the Gridwalk and was on the grid by 12:40 and I was at the back of the line.

Wasn't too bad at all for a Freebee.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 03:31 (Ref:3206524)   #142
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People were queued outside the Gate at 7:30am when I arrived. Some folks are dead keen for V8s in Sydney. I think the traffic problems ebbed and flowed as various people seem to be able to get in without too much hassles, but others ended up waiting forever. By 4:30pm a lot of people had left though, as the amount of cars on track dwindled so did the interest.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 05:43 (Ref:3206550)   #143
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few galleries from Saturday:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7059261&type=1

Old 18 Feb 2013, 06:58 (Ref:3206575)   #144
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I posted up some shots too here and on my website
Old 18 Feb 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3206579)   #145
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice work mate.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3206581)   #146
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I would rather hear a loud rumbling V8 then an Inline 6, and I've heard and been in quite a few of them. take a V8 any day of the week! even done mine up to sound like one. the look on the Ford/Holden V8 guys are priceless!
Old 18 Feb 2013, 07:39 (Ref:3206582)   #147
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
even done mine up to sound like one
Oh lord
Old 18 Feb 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3206583)   #148
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Oh lord
You don't know how difficult it is to type this from the floor
Old 18 Feb 2013, 07:47 (Ref:3206586)   #149
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Oh lord
extractors, catback, Intake, FPV badge. they all add up.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 08:00 (Ref:3206591)   #150
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
extractors, catback, Intake, FPV badge. they all add up.
I'm sorry, i did't realise you had an FPR badge. Clearly your car will sound better (probably has more kllerwasps too) than all the V8s