Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:35 (Ref:4026057)   #1176
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Glad Cook is staying, he did well to bounce back from the early season bad luck. Crees did alright last season, sometimes impressive like at Thruxton, so he should be alright

Slightly O/T, a sad end for an ex BTCC support race series:
https://www.autosport.com/national/n...cup-uk-in-2021
I'm glad he's staying too. I think he's a quality driver and in the right car should be a championship contender. He's generally a tidy and fair racer (but has been known to be overly-aggressive at times for some reason). It'll be good to see how he goes with some continuation.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:42 (Ref:4026060)   #1177
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Glad Cook is staying, he did well to bounce back from the early season bad luck. Crees did alright last season, sometimes impressive like at Thruxton, so he should be alright

Slightly O/T, a sad end for an ex BTCC support race series:
https://www.autosport.com/national/n...cup-uk-in-2021
Isn't that a general problem for the Clio Cup, also outside UK?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:51 (Ref:4026063)   #1178
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tator2001uk View Post
Chilton to Cisley . . . i believe another driver had already signed on the dotted line in pencil

I can see Either Proctor or Rowbottom going to BTC
I predict that the Chilton destination won’t be clear until WSR announce. If the BMW support is gone then likely Turkington is gone to. Then Chilton steps in with his € if no place at WSR then Cicely beckons. What other option does he have?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 14:27 (Ref:4026071)   #1179
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
If the BMW support is gone then likely Turkington is gone to.
Is there anything to suggest BMW support is gone?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 14:27 (Ref:4026072)   #1180
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Isn't that a general problem for the Clio Cup, also outside UK?
the french series has a very decent sized grid (albeit without a national touring car series), so i think it's more that mini currently dominate the just-below-touring cars options in the uk (three seperate series, iirc?). there's just not enough competitors willing to switch over, particularly when they made the car less impressive rather than more so.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 14:53 (Ref:4026076)   #1181
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Is there anything to suggest BMW support is gone?
This is what I wonder about as well, numerous times I've seen some doubtful comments about BMW's involvement and I'm curious where they come from.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 15:03 (Ref:4026077)   #1182
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
This is what I wonder about as well, numerous times I've seen some doubtful comments about BMW's involvement and I'm curious where they come from.
I think it was the fact that BMW are dropping at lot of their other programs. So depends on how much BMW Motorsport are connected with BMW UK.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 15:03 (Ref:4026078)   #1183
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the french series has a very decent sized grid (albeit without a national touring car series), so i think it's more that mini currently dominate the just-below-touring cars options in the uk (three seperate series, iirc?). there's just not enough competitors willing to switch over, particularly when they made the car less impressive rather than more so.
But IIRC there are several European series merged into a not so successful central European series. The Dutch Clio Cup is long gone.

Wasn't there also the issue with the latest cup car less powerful? Something teams/drivers didn't like.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 16:18 (Ref:4026085)   #1184
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we know for certain that Team HARD are running 4 cars next year, 3 drivers have been announced but has there been any mention of a 4th?

I am wondering if the 4th TBL has moved from HARD to Laser Tools to run Carl Boardley and each of these two teams are just running 3 cars.

With TPR rumoured to be leaving the series I make it this would leave 30 TBL's in the hands of the teams, same as 2020. 2 TBL's being retained by TOCA.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 16:20 (Ref:4026087)   #1185
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I got one right! Cookie was putting ink on paper.

I believe Mr Procter may be his new buddy.

RWD Sonic is I believe a thing, think some timing of the announcement for sponsor benefit is why it's all quiet at the 2 BMW team.

I also hear WSR is as expected... only the one change that is no secret at all.

Still can't get a sniff about PMR though.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 16:22 (Ref:4026088)   #1186
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Do we know for certain that Team HARD are running 4 cars next year, 3 drivers have been announced but has there been any mention of a 4th?

I am wondering if the 4th TBL has moved from HARD to Laser Tools to run Carl Boardley and each of these two teams are just running 3 cars.

With TPR rumoured to be leaving the series I make it this would leave 30 TBL's in the hands of the teams, same as 2020. 2 TBL's being retained by TOCA.
Yeah, Tony has confirmed 4 Leons. The only non confirmed part is the pink (or brown) squishy bit in the seat. Nic I think if he gets the $$$ sorted.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 16:38 (Ref:4026092)   #1187
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Team HARD, meanwhile, will operate four newly built Cupra Leons and has already confirmed Aron Taylor-Smith, Jack Goff and Glynn Geddie. A yet-to-be-announced driver will complete the line-up in the new year.

https://www.btcc.net/2020/12/24/team-hard-and-laser-tools-racing-join-forces/
Old 31 Dec 2020, 16:39 (Ref:4026093)   #1188
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yeah, Tony has confirmed 4 Leons. The only non confirmed part is the pink (or brown) squishy bit in the seat. Nic I think if he gets the $$$ sorted.
Can you give me a link to the press release confirming this, I am trying to trawl back through the announcements on btcc.net
Old 31 Dec 2020, 16:43 (Ref:4026094)   #1189
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Team HARD, meanwhile, will operate four newly built Cupra Leons and has already confirmed Aron Taylor-Smith, Jack Goff and Glynn Geddie. A yet-to-be-announced driver will complete the line-up in the new year.

https://www.btcc.net/2020/12/24/team...g-join-forces/
Thanks, that was the next release I was going to read.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 17:23 (Ref:4026101)   #1190
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
post deleted

Last edited by touring fan01; 31 Dec 2020 at 17:28.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 17:32 (Ref:4026103)   #1191
Jay87
Rookie

Jay87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I got one right! Cookie was putting ink on paper.

I believe Mr Procter may be his new buddy.

RWD Sonic is I believe a thing, think some timing of the announcement for sponsor benefit is why it's all quiet at the 2 BMW team.

I also hear WSR is as expected... only the one change that is no secret at all.

Still can't get a sniff about PMR though.
No inside knowledge just thinking aloud but could it be that pmr don't intend to return and that is where the tbls have come from to run the rumoured 3rd dynamics car and 2nd Toyota
Old 31 Dec 2020, 17:58 (Ref:4026106)   #1192
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay87 View Post
No inside knowledge just thinking aloud but could it be that pmr don't intend to return and that is where the tbls have come from to run the rumoured 3rd dynamics car and 2nd Toyota
Rumour seems to be that Motorbase will run 4 cars, although that sounds like it will be a merger of MB (Motorbase) and MB (Blundell). If so that frees up one TBL.

Today's BTC announcement made no reference to a third car, although I believe they had previously said they were planning for three. That may or may not free up another TBL; probably not.

TOCA have previously said that hey held back 2 TBLs for a future manufacturer entry. Possibly they could make one of those available for the second Toyota, although given Gow's desire to reduce numbers maybe that's not likely.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 18:10 (Ref:4026109)   #1193
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why does Gow try to reduce grid numbers that much ?

if there were too many entries for some tracks they could have used the old F1 procedure, the worst placed teams/drivers in the standings have to pre-qualify
Old 31 Dec 2020, 18:13 (Ref:4026112)   #1194
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Rumour seems to be that Motorbase will run 4 cars, although that sounds like it will be a merger of MB (Motorbase) and MB (Blundell). If so that frees up one TBL.

Today's BTC announcement made no reference to a third car, although I believe they had previously said they were planning for three. That may or may not free up another TBL; probably not.

TOCA have previously said that hey held back 2 TBLs for a future manufacturer entry. Possibly they could make one of those available for the second Toyota, although given Gow's desire to reduce numbers maybe that's not likely.
Don’t forget Simpson returned his TBL so TOCA hold their 2 ‘reserved’ ones plus 1, so Lord Gow may let one back out.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 18:17 (Ref:4026114)   #1195
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post

if there were too many entries for some tracks they could have used the old F1 procedure, the worst placed teams/drivers in the standings have to pre-qualify
At places like Oulton Park the back of the grid are hampered by being on the downhill slope at Deer Leep.

At Thruxton the back of the grid are nearly in the chicane, and at Knockhill they are nearly in Kelty.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 18:21 (Ref:4026116)   #1196
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post

To reduce paddock crowding with all the supports/BTCC crews + hospitality. Every year the circus gets bigger but the tent doesn't. Nothing to do with the on-track product. Gow has said it many times in interviews the last 3-4 years that he wants to naturally reduce to a 20-22 car grid.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 18:23 (Ref:4026117)   #1197
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Don’t forget Simpson returned his TBL so TOCA hold their 2 ‘reserved’ ones plus 1, so Lord Gow may let one back out.
I make it 31, if PMR return with 2 cars, MB (Blundell) run the 2 cars they did this year and Motorbase run the 3 cars that they entered in 2020.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 18:26 (Ref:4026118)   #1198
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gow's target is 26. Don't think he's ever suggested wanting it to fall as low as 20.

Remember, each entry is worth quite a bit of £££ to TOCA. They want to reduce the numbers a little bit to weed out the low quality entries that devalue the series.

If they thought they could sustainably attract 32 well-prepared cars with high calibre drivers then I'm sure that would be the target.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 19:18 (Ref:4026125)   #1199
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why not just limit the amount of kit and tents etc that teams can bring? I’d prefer to see larger grid numbers than the mid 20s. They seemed to cope with 32 entrants for the past few years so it’s possible, it’s not like parting the seas.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 19:30 (Ref:4026126)   #1200
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Why not just limit the amount of kit and tents etc that teams can bring? I’d prefer to see larger grid numbers than the mid 20s. They seemed to cope with 32 entrants for the past few years so it’s possible, it’s not like parting the seas.
As we've seen this year, running a hospitality unit can be a huge part of how teams get their budget. Limiting what they can bring, or moving hospitality to outside of the paddock will be counter-productive.