Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 31 Jul 2002, 09:04 (Ref:346963)   #201
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1968-Formula IV. Choice of engine's from Saab,Honda,Fiat,Renault. Prices started at 750 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
saab.jpg  
Old 31 Jul 2002, 12:14 (Ref:347087)   #202
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chevron leads Sana in an F.Atlantic race at Oulton in 1974.
Attached Thumbnails
sana.jpg  
Old 31 Jul 2002, 12:19 (Ref:347094)   #203
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A view from the stands. Formula Atlantic start at Silverstone in May 1973.
John Nicholson on pole with Cyd Williams & David Purley on the front row.
Attached Thumbnails
f-at73.jpg  
Old 31 Jul 2002, 12:23 (Ref:347097)   #204
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Same meeting and the start of the JCB Historic race. Cameron Millar's 250F with an assortment of cars including eventual winner Willie Green coming through from the back in another 250F.
Attached Thumbnails
hist73.jpg  
Old 31 Jul 2002, 12:27 (Ref:347102)   #205
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Brands 1972. Yellow Pages Formula Atlantic Championship. Cyd Williams' Graham Eden Racing March 722.
Attached Thumbnails
cyd722.jpg  
Old 1 Aug 2002, 07:10 (Ref:347632)   #206
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fletcher GT

I received the following e-mail last night. Can anyone help?

Cheers!

----------------------------------------------

Darren

I came across youre email address at the bottom of a results sheet for the 1966 Nuburgring 500km.

I am looking for information with regard to a car that I own called a Fletcher GT. This is possibly the car mentioned in you're results as car no 15 driven by John Handley and entered by Gill Baird.(Fletcher Ogle BMC).

Do you know of any other results, articles,pictures or links with reference to this car?

Please see attached pic. (two pictures of a green coloured Fletcher GT, registration number KSY 888J)

Id love to hear if you can point me towards any info at all that may help to tell me more re the history.

Cheers Paul Ogle
Old 1 Aug 2002, 11:35 (Ref:347799)   #207
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haven't got much, I'm afraid, Darren.

I've checked my programmes, and I've got the Fletcher raced by J Handley at Silverstone on October 1 1966, and Brands Hatch on December 27 1966.

I'll keep looking, but no pictures are coming to light to compare the car in competition guise with its roadgoing incarnation.

The registration number suggests it was put on the road during 1970/71. And now that I think about it, it does seem familiar. I wonder if the Fletcher was covered in a "Finds and Discoveries" in Classic & Sportscar a few years back? Not having access to my files on that, I can't confirm, but I'll keep looking.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 12:15 (Ref:347829)   #208
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Moderator's note!

There have been so many Anglias cropping up in the 60s club racing thread (a whole page of them all on their own) that I thought it best to give them their own thread.

Bring on the 105Es!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 14:21 (Ref:347864)   #209
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No you didn't Tim. You were just practising your Computer skills!!!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 14:38 (Ref:347877)   #210
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
nwell the other thread was getting a bit heavy . . .still blindingly good though
Old 1 Aug 2002, 14:59 (Ref:347883)   #211
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Are there any championships where these cars could still race? Or cars built to their spec. It wouldn't be Classic Thunder because that is based on RAC/FIA regs.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:04 (Ref:348384)   #212
Spadge Hopkins
Rookie

Spadge Hopkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing this stuff

There are a bunch of people interested in racing these 60s sports racing cars next year. G12s, B8s, Milmor Gt, Dulon. Costin Nathan etc. Steve Lydon mm.racing@btopenworld.com seems to be one of the driving forces behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
costin.jpg  
Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:13 (Ref:348390)   #213
Spadge Hopkins
Rookie

Referring back to Bill Needham and Coldwell engineering, I collected a Coldwell GT from him a few weeks back and that twin cam mini engine is still sitting in a very special mini in a dusty corner of his barn. Naturally I have a few pictures but they are still in the camera.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 09:22 (Ref:348439)   #214
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spadge
The gentleman that owns the Costin-Nathan that you show, also owns A Serinissma sports racer from 1965. It looks 1 nice race car.
Also how many Coldwell's were made.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 09:28 (Ref:348446)   #215
Spadge Hopkins
Rookie

Realistically 3 I think although Bill made enough chassis in period to complete 5
Old 3 Aug 2002, 00:06 (Ref:349106)   #216
tonyabacus
Rookie

tonyabacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill needham also made a single seater which was called the Coldwell Mink. The car was built for a guy called John Houghton who out up the money, however when his wife heard about how much the car cost she exclaimed that she could have bought a Mink Coat with that money and so the car was christened accordingly.
The car was front engined and built around 1963, it was designed to run either a Ford 1000cc Screamer or a BMC Formula Junior, Bill developed a unit from special parts supplied variously by Frank Williams and BMC. Story has it that there were six special cranks that were going to be tested by Bill, one of these went into the engine for the Mink. However there was a break in at his factory and the other five were stolen. The car was built to run in both F2 and F3 although I have had difficulty verifying exactly haw much it was used in either. Bill told me that he does have some 8mm film of it in various shakedown runs in F3. One of the drivers at the time was Robin? Smith.
John Houghton has a couple of claims to fame in that he was tied up in the Biota Mini (anyone remember them)and secondly by profession he was an surveyor who alledgedly caused a canal to burst in Sheffield.
I purchased the Mink around ten years ago from Colin Cooper a well known single seater man but sadly had to pass it on recently and its now with Spencer Elton.

According to Bill Needham it did do quite a number of events at Oulton Park during the 60's.
Does anyone have any photos of it racing I wonder?
Old 3 Aug 2002, 00:24 (Ref:349120)   #217
tonyabacus
Rookie

tonyabacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of Costin, my sister in law moved to Wales in the early seventies and moved into a house with a large barn. The barn contained what she called a number of 'knocked together wooden structures' which she wanted out of the way. a neighbour told her that the previous owner was something to do with cars. When she told me I asked to her to take some photographs which she did and after much nagging she sent them to me. It was apparent that these were body moulds. When I rang her to find out more details she told me they had tipped them down a quarry to get rid of them, when I asked the name of the previous owner of the property all she could tell me was his name was Costin!
What the moulds were for is anybody's guess as the pictures did not make it clear.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 10:53 (Ref:349248)   #218
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
George Whitehead's WRA Anglia passes the wayward Ford Fairlane of Martin Birrane at Oulton 1969.
Attached Thumbnails
layby.jpg  
Old 3 Aug 2002, 11:00 (Ref:349253)   #219
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
60s Club Racers part 2

Part one was getting a bit big - images taking ages to load so started a new one!
Here is an F.Libre race at Snetterton in 1968.Graham Eden's Chevron B10 leads Jeremy Richardsons Ginetta G12 and John Jordan's GT40 under the old vehicle bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
snlibre.jpg  
Old 3 Aug 2002, 11:07 (Ref:349258)   #220
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Max Mosley leads the clubmans field in his U2 at Brands 1967. Lotus 7s and an Elva follow.
Attached Thumbnails
mosleyu2.jpg  
Old 3 Aug 2002, 12:18 (Ref:349303)   #221
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From an advert for rollcage's
Attached Thumbnails
angliacrash.jpg  
Old 3 Aug 2002, 13:11 (Ref:349322)   #222
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not quite as historic an event, but here are a couple of pics of Gordon Streeter's Anglebox at Snetterton last weekend.

Old 3 Aug 2002, 13:12 (Ref:349324)   #223
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pic 2: close racing on the runup to Russell:

Old 3 Aug 2002, 15:25 (Ref:349380)   #224
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
F5000 Lola T142s of Mike Walker and Doug Hardwick with Steve Thompson's F2 lola - F.Libre Silverstone 1969.
Attached Thumbnails
5000lib.jpg  
Old 3 Aug 2002, 22:55 (Ref:349566)   #225
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's one in action last weekend at Queensland Raceway here in Australia. - Robert Harborow’s Lola T192 F5000 car is the first such example built (the T192 is the long wheel base model of the T190). The car was sorted out by Frank Gardner, and advised one Roger Penske that it was a good car. Penske purchased the car, and first time out in the hands of his gun driver, Mark Donohue, the car won. Despite only starting three races in 1970, Donohue finished third in the American Formula A Championship. Brett Lunger then used the car to finish third in the championship the following season. The car then went through some hands, before winding up in Western Australia from 1983 to 1989, when Harborow purchased the car, and restored it from 1994-1996.
Attached Thumbnails
rob-harborow.jpg