Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 25 Jun 2015, 16:52 (Ref:3553905)   #176
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My turn for a Bugatti circuit upgrade.

Reverting back to the old first turn (with extra runoff) means heading over the crest at the Dunlop bridge at top speed before braking into the new Dunlop chicane. The old chicane is retained.

A new hairpin leads to a slightly re-profiled infield bend, which sets up a new right hand loop which rejoins the original circuit.

The spirit of the Circuit de la Sarthe and the Porsche curves is recreated after the old turn 7-8 chicane with a series of fast curves before heading off the wrong way towards Maison Blanche much like SBF's design (a blatant copy, I must admit). A section of the Porsche experience track is used to shoot the cars back towards the final part of the Ford chicane and back onto the main straight (...curvy straight).

An important difference is that this design allows the same layout for the 24 hours to be used, albeit with a different pit entry utilising a part of the new Bugatti circuit (shown in green). The barriers around the area of the Ford chicane and the pit entry are quite tricky but they just about work (not shown here).

New config is 4.8km with 15 turns.
Attached Thumbnails
BUGATTI.jpg   BUGATTI config.png   BUGATTI 24hr.png  

Last edited by SKG; 25 Jun 2015 at 17:02.
Old 25 Jun 2015, 18:45 (Ref:3553923)   #177
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why the new chicane instead of the old Dunlop Chicane?
Old 26 Jun 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3554045)   #178
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Why the new chicane instead of the old Dunlop Chicane?
I thought it would be cool to see cars going flat over the crest into the braking zone, it would give the circuit a different character. The new chicane is a similar profile as the old one, so speeds through it would be similar.

The old chicane before the bridge would be retained so bikes could still use the circuit. In addition, the new chicane can also be bypassed, so you can use one, the other, or both!
Old 19 Jul 2015, 14:21 (Ref:3559526)   #179
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Its the "boosting an old circuit by building an exciting new loop" story again.

The new circuit can be used independently with its own pit/paddock complex, and more importantly it extends the original circuit to nearly 6km. With it's small radius corners and technical sections, the new section contrasts well against the original circuits long, sweeping turns.

This main pit lane exit is probably the most difficult section of track design I've came across since I've been doing this. The new pit out cuts across the original turn 1 and the cars at racing speed are guided away from the cars exiting the pit lane by three bollards. If the original circuit is used, the bollards are removed and cars exiting the pits stay right and follow the old pit lane exit.

Next step for the circuit would be to bring the original circuit up to the safety standards of the new loop. This would involve increasing runoff at the fearsome turn 12 and possibly relocating the paddock bridge to allow the barriers to be pushed back at the penultimate corner.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
53 plan.png   53 1.jpg   53 2.jpg  

53 3.jpg   53 4.jpg   53 config.png  

Old 19 Jul 2015, 19:40 (Ref:3559570)   #180
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That pit exit is really well thought out and executed.
Old 2 Sep 2015, 14:38 (Ref:3570758)   #181
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Hi guys

This short (ish) wide (ish) track is characterised by its two esses sections and increasing-radius loopbacks. Overtaking is tricky, and drivers are already complaining about cars leaving the pits and chopping across onto the racing line. I'm sure they'll sort it out between themselves.

A shortcut avoids the long run up to the north hairpin, whilst another gives the option to skip the infield section. Since the north hairpin is the best overtaking opportunity, when it is not in use a chicane at the end of the back straight can be used to increase the braking zone and provide the chance for any plucky driver to throw it up the inside.

This may be the last one for a while. I feel that though producing these last 11 tracks (by coincidence, exactly a year from when I started the first of the 11 to finishing this one today) I've developed some personal standards and conventions, so that when you compare all the designs, they look consistent and like they were produced by the same person. I feel this was missing from the 40-something designs before I arrived at this new standard (not all good enough at the time to share on this forum, of course).

I'm not sure I'm doing anything different any more, so for now I'll finish with this one, until I get some new ideas! There is another design which may or may not get developed over the next few months.

I'm considering sharing my most recent creations on the subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/RaceTrackDesigns/ , I hope no one considers this treachery or defection!
Attached Thumbnails
56.png   56 2.png   56 3.png  

56 4.png   56 5.png   Untitled config.png  

Old 8 Nov 2015, 17:26 (Ref:3589067)   #182
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
HELP! - Pit Exit

Hello

My final circuit design for the time being is almost complete, but I'm not quite ready to share it yet. I'm having trouble with the pit exit, and I was wondering if anyone could share their views.

Pit exits merging to the outside is always tricky, and in general I try to avoid it. The first pic below was my original solution, the cars cannot merge until they have passed the final bollard and the line changes from solid to dashed. this guarantees the cars leaving the pits are kept well away from the cars at racing speed until they have passed the turn-in point for the first corner.

I changed the pit exit, pushing the pit lane barrier back, thus increasing visibility of cars exiting the pits (they can now be seen 200m before the first corner). I decided to try a much earlier blend to minimise the time cars are alongside each other on two separate pieces of road with no solid divider between them. The extra track width remains, so in theory there is plenty of room for cars to rejoin safely.

I'm still not convinced by my solution, and the fact that the track curves towards turn 1 adds extra complexity. What do you guys think? Is this the best solution? Should the first turn be re profiled to better accommodate a safe pit exit? Feel free to doodle/sketch on the screenshots below if you have any ideas.

tl;dr Can you make this pit exit better/safer? Have a doodle!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
option 1.png   option 2.png  
Old 8 Nov 2015, 21:09 (Ref:3589093)   #183
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the first one is nearly optimised.

What I'd do is keep the kerb between the pit exit and the track going longer, past the turn in point, then have it turn back onto the track.
The point being that not only does the cars on the track see the car travelling parallel with the track for longer and can judge it's speed, but that the car on the pit exit will see in it's mirrors a car approaching.

However with my adjustment assuming the racing line is something similar to the red line. the driver in the pitlane will have that extra few metres to realise that the car on track has run wide or overshot.
The driver makes the decision to enter the circuit, he isn't just blended into an accident.
Attached Thumbnails
option 1 copy.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 8 Nov 2015 at 21:19.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3594337)   #184
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Well, that took a little longer than I would have liked, but here is the finished circuit.

Thanks SBF for your suggestion, I had to straighten the last 100m of the straight, but there is now a sensible gap between the track and pit exit with almost 200m of visability for cars on track to react to cars leaving the pits.

The full circuit itself is 17 turns, 3.73km long, or 2km if the shortcut is taken. It is characterised by the fast sweeping turns in the middle sector, and the corner at the northeast of he circuit, imitating The famous Old hairpin corner at Donington, except smaller and mirrored!

The final turn underwent several changes as well, it used to a much larger apex. The proximity of the pitwall at track-out prompted a change to move the apex back up the track, and effectively turning it into a kink. It works overall, reducing corner speed and ensuring the cars are straight and accelerating when the pitwall pinches towards the track.

The shortcut is only suitable for club racing, since the access road for the paddock crosses it in order to reach the bridge on the back straight.

My general style recently has been to create circuits which are narrow in profile and reducing the amount of land area used. I just thought this was an interesting trend and I have another design on the go which is of a similar style.

As always, any thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
plan.png   option 3.png   1.png  

2.png   4.png   3.png  

Old 30 Nov 2015, 02:42 (Ref:3594354)   #185
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The pit exit now looks a very good compromise which of course is the name of the game when the ideal isn't available.

I do enjoy your final renderings, it shows the level of detail that you work to. I admit I've become sloppy over the years with Sketchup and haven't done a full pit, paddock, or grandstands never mind scenery.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 23:47 (Ref:3597825)   #186
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Here's another, now I really am all out of ideas!

This short circuit is 3.5km long, or 2.3km if the shorcut and chicane are used. The highlights of the lap include the technical west "hook" section, the tricky final chicane, and the famous "paddock curve" with its brightly painted runoff area. Watching the cars through this corner would surely be a fan favourite?

Does anyone have any ideas for what they'd like to see from me next? Maybe something a bit different? Let me know, I'll give a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
58 plan.jpg   58 1.jpg   58 2.jpg  

58 3.jpg   58 4.jpg   58 5.jpg  

Old 15 Dec 2015, 15:09 (Ref:3597955)   #187
Szisz
Rookie

Szisz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG View Post
Does anyone have any ideas for what they'd like to see from me next? Maybe something a bit different? Let me know, I'll give a shot.
How about if you try to out-Tilke the man himself by creating the ultimate caricature of a Tilkedrome (based on an exinsting circuit or from scratch, your call)
Old 18 Dec 2015, 05:51 (Ref:3598540)   #188
scottmartinordeal
Rookie

scottmartinordeal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG View Post
Hi guys

This short (ish) wide (ish) track is characterised by its two esses sections and increasing-radius loopbacks. Overtaking is tricky, and drivers are already complaining about cars leaving the pits and chopping across onto the racing line. I'm sure they'll sort it out between themselves.

A shortcut avoids the long run up to the north hairpin, whilst another gives the option to skip the infield section. Since the north hairpin is the best overtaking opportunity, when it is not in use a chicane at the end of the back straight can be used to increase the braking zone and provide the chance for any plucky driver to throw it up the inside.

This may be the last one for a while. I feel that though producing these last 11 tracks (by coincidence, exactly a year from when I started the first of the 11 to finishing this one today) I've developed some personal standards and conventions, so that when you compare all the designs, they look consistent and like they were produced by the same person. I feel this was missing from the 40-something designs before I arrived at this new standard (not all good enough at the time to share on this forum, of course).

I'm not sure I'm doing anything different any more, so for now I'll finish with this one, until I get some new ideas! There is another design which may or may not get developed over the next few months.

I'm considering sharing my most recent creations on the subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/RaceTrackDesigns/ , I hope no one considers this treachery or defection!
Love this one so oldschool, fast without too much ugly runoff.
could even go even faster and replace the final S bend with a sweeper
nice work all round.
Old 20 Dec 2015, 12:16 (Ref:3598946)   #189
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szisz View Post
How about if you try to out-Tilke the man himself by creating the ultimate caricature of a Tilkedrome (based on an exinsting circuit or from scratch, your call)
Already done! I created my "dream" tilkedrome a few months back, it is wide, flat, in the middle of the desert, with loads of exciting hairpin corners and 90 degree sequences.

There are more images available here:
http://imgur.com/a/2Jzf2

And a very serious circuit description here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RaceTrackDe...ional_circuit/

***In all seriousness, please ignore this post if you wish to see interesting, creative, unique circuit design ideas***
Attached Thumbnails
NdW0d41.png   CEVgF0M.png  
Old 22 Jan 2016, 17:03 (Ref:3607153)   #190
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Hey everyone, time for another one.

This circuit has had several upgrades to bring the safety up to acceptable levels. The first curve under the bridge needed slowing down, so an open chicane was added.

The old run through the forest remains, but is too unsafe to be of any use today. A new section of track adds a challenging technical aspect to the lap. The new section is flanked by a full length karting circuit the off-road experience thing.

A further infield section was added after the very fast left-hander going on to the back straight. This brings the length of the new Grand Prix circuit back up to the length of the original circuit. The wide entry to this new hairpin should promote overtaking.
Attached Thumbnails
overview.png   1.png   2.png  

3.png   4.png   plan.png  

Old 23 Jan 2016, 15:54 (Ref:3607330)   #191
Szisz
Rookie

Szisz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love that classic layout for the most recent one. The new GP layout just looks unpleasantly stop-start.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 21:20 (Ref:3607713)   #192
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I not sold on the parallel out and back with the blob on the end, it screams I needed extra length and couldn't think what to do.
I've made a slight adjustment that adds a little distance, and respects more of the classic layout.

I've use where the trees were cut down for the dirt circuit, but if you still want to have one, I've brought it inside the circuit.

This isn't a final suggestion, it would need tweaking for run of, and adjustments for the dirt circuit too, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
SKG Jan Adjustmenty.jpg  
Old 25 Jan 2016, 17:55 (Ref:3607901)   #193
rubaru
Rookie

United States
rubaru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like this...a little more "organic" than straight line, corner, straight line. Reminds me a little of the Stavelot-Blanchimont section at Spa.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 18:08 (Ref:3607903)   #194
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I not sold on the parallel out and back with the blob on the end, it screams I needed extra length and couldn't think what to do.
I've made a slight adjustment that adds a little distance, and respects more of the classic layout.

I've use where the trees were cut down for the dirt circuit, but if you still want to have one, I've brought it inside the circuit.

This isn't a final suggestion, it would need tweaking for run of, and adjustments for the dirt circuit too, but you get the idea.
I like it too!

I have some new ideas. I'll look into making some changes
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:04 (Ref:3615102)   #195
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
I finally got around to making those changes.

The dirt track is now located on the infield of the new section, accessed by a bridge over the national circuit shortcut. The revised GP layout now features a challenging section of progressively slowing corners, with loads of spectator areas for fans to enjoy the high speed action.

There have been other small tweaks and additions to details as well, such as the Imola-style spectator hill towards the end of the lap.
Attached Thumbnails
1.png   2.png   3.png  

4.png   5.png   6.png  

Old 22 Feb 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3616792)   #196
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
After spending some time (virtually) at Lime Rock Park on iRacing, as well as drawing inspiration from VIR and Circuito Ascari, I have designed a small circuit-resort.

The original circuit (2.51km) needed safety improvements at turns 1 and 6, though both chicanes are only optional, dependant on the speed of the car, or personal preference.

In addition to the layout changes, the facilities went through a major overhaul, with a new pit complex and safer pit access, two infield RV parks for race weekends, and a new grandstand at turn 1.

Also recently constructed, the new lodges and the large hotel/clubhouse building, for well-off car enthusiasts who want a weekend of trackday fun, they never have to leave the infield. (for a handsome membership fee )

To complete the facility, there is a brand new 800m karting circuit and a reasonably sized skidpan.

Finishing this **should** free up some time to have a go at some of these contests
Attached Thumbnails
plan.png   1.png   2.png  

3.png   4.png   configs.png  

Last edited by SKG; 22 Feb 2016 at 18:00. Reason: I cannot spell
Old 22 Feb 2016, 19:29 (Ref:3616820)   #197
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This is really good, looking at on iPad just now. Want to check out the details once on a bigger screen
Old 24 Feb 2016, 22:35 (Ref:3617502)   #198
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Even better on the bigger screen.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 00:50 (Ref:3617850)   #199
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Even better on the bigger screen.
Thanks. Since the track was so short, it didn't take too long to get the details in there. I doubt I'd put this much effort in for a circuit that's twice as long.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 23:30 (Ref:3618882)   #200
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
short simple tracks are often the ones that you have to shout at yourself the loudest to "put the pencil down" !!