Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Jul 2014, 23:11 (Ref:3429224)   #51
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was competing at Hockenheim several years ago where classic bikes were also running and the scrutineer checked the rad and declared that as it contained antifreeze I could not run. Fortunately I had an ace up my sleeve, a german speaking daughter with a good turn of phrases in german in respect of cars and racing. She managed to persuade him that it was not antifreeze but coolant inhibitor that was necessary to safeguard the aluminium engine. He reluctantly accepted her explanation but was not very happy. Later in the holding area he came up to me as we were waiting for the previous race to finish and had a go as I was sitting in the car with the door open like everyone else. He wanted it shut but left when my daughter approached!

Pete Richards
Old 2 Jul 2014, 06:52 (Ref:3429331)   #52
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what's the difference between "antifreeze" and "coolant inhibitor"? Given that we are warned against running many "moderns" on plain water. Can one buy "coolant inhibitor"?
Old 2 Jul 2014, 07:44 (Ref:3429348)   #53
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
So what's the difference between "antifreeze" and "coolant inhibitor"? Given that we are warned against running many "moderns" on plain water. Can one buy "coolant inhibitor"?
Not wishing to put on public display my absolute lack of knowledge concerning the modern day horse-less carriage, I hadn't posed this question myself, although it went through my mind.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 08:32 (Ref:3429364)   #54
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coolant inhibitor used to be available for use in the Imp engine for the summer months when antifreeze was not used. Whether it is still available separately I'm not sure.

Pete Richards
Old 2 Jul 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3429367)   #55
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So what's the difference between "antifreeze" and "coolant inhibitor"?
I'll bet they are both bl**dy slippery if you have an incontinent car and a pig to get rid of from a track surface.
Does anyone remember Anthony Reid dumping the entire cooling system of (I think) a Mustang onto the approach to Levant during the Goodwood Revival a few years back, cement dust won't work and in the end the track had to be power washed with detergent!