Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Mar 2020, 21:59 (Ref:3966043)   #926
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Nope, still for sale. Had a few tyre kickers but nobody serious. Unlikely to sell now.
So...its a keeper! Enjoy owning it...
Old 21 Mar 2020, 22:35 (Ref:3966048)   #927
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bang ho6es my pension.
Old 21 Mar 2020, 23:31 (Ref:3966054)   #928
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Bang ho6es my pension.
along with millions of others Peter, as a result of Covid-19 :-(
Old 22 Mar 2020, 09:30 (Ref:3966097)   #929
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At least it's not your day to day income, only the bit that pays for the nice things in life.

A lot of people are a lot worse, let's hope the government opens its purses soon. A delay if even a couple of weeks on its promises will be disastrous.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Mar 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3966099)   #930
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't have a day to day income.
Old 22 Mar 2020, 10:19 (Ref:3966101)   #931
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I don’t have a pension . Apart from the £157.40 a week from Government. Even that goes to Mrs Delta . Grrrrrrr
Old 22 Mar 2020, 10:47 (Ref:3966106)   #932
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
An opportunity to make things last longer may be. Dont change the plugs, sand blast them instead. Wont work with the tires or brake pads tho…
Old 22 Mar 2020, 11:00 (Ref:3966107)   #933
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Me and my big mouth . Volunteered to do shopping for elderly in the village . I’ve got a list a Mile long . Just need to convince the shop it’s not for me .
Old 22 Mar 2020, 11:13 (Ref:3966108)   #934
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Me and my big mouth . Volunteered to do shopping for elderly in the village . I’ve got a list a Mile long . Just need to convince the shop it’s not for me .

...including 'er opposite?
Old 22 Mar 2020, 11:53 (Ref:3966115)   #935
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
We haven't stockpiled anything including bread, as I fancied a piece of toast I went into our local to buy a loaf just now No chance hardly anything on the shelves, now can I live on two Mars bars until International Rescue comes to my aid ? Apart from that the pheasant the comes into our garden everyday to scrounge underneath the bird table is beginning to look more appetising
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Mar 2020, 12:02 (Ref:3966116)   #936
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
We haven't stockpiled anything including bread, as I fancied a piece of toast I went into our local to buy a loaf just now No chance hardly anything on the shelves, now can I live on two Mars bars until International Rescue comes to my aid ? Apart from that the pheasant the comes into our garden everyday to scrounge underneath the bird table is beginning to look more appetising
There is a very large brown cockerel roaming round my garden at the moment - would you like it?
Old 22 Mar 2020, 12:32 (Ref:3966118)   #937
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
There is a very large brown cockerel roaming round my garden at the moment - would you like it?
If he woke me up at sunrise he wouldn't roam around for very long
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Mar 2020, 14:00 (Ref:3966126)   #938
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good news from Madame Streeter, anyone…
Old 22 Mar 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3966128)   #939
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Good news from Madame Streeter, anyone…
Old 23 Mar 2020, 11:02 (Ref:3966229)   #940
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
OK, does anyone know how to work out duration of a camshaft without it being in an engine? I assume lift is the difference between the nose to heal measurement minus the base circle diameter, should I factor valve clearances when calculating this? Asking as I have some camshafts I want to sell
Old 23 Mar 2020, 11:06 (Ref:3966233)   #941
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Does this help? https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...shaft-duration
Old 23 Mar 2020, 12:13 (Ref:3966249)   #942
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
OK, does anyone know how to work out duration of a camshaft without it being in an engine? I assume lift is the difference between the nose to heal measurement minus the base circle diameter, should I factor valve clearances when calculating this? Asking as I have some camshafts I want to sell
Gerard s link gives a guide on how to measure the cam .
But the measurement starts when the valve is open , so the clearance has to be allowed for , & the fact that , if the engine has rockers with a multiplication factor , that has to be applied into the clearance
measurement .
Also to calculate lift .

Note also that the cam turns at half engine speed , so duration degrees are doubled .
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:14 (Ref:3966282)   #943
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
The problem is that the cams are on my bench not in the engine.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3966285)   #944
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Not easy then!

Not wanting to mention the dreaded virus, but I have to say that my admiration for those on the shop floor of the NHS, who are doing an truly amazing job in the circumstances, grows by the day.....
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:55 (Ref:3966293)   #945
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
What is stamped on the end?
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:56 (Ref:3966294)   #946
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not easy then!

Not wanting to mention the dreaded virus, but I have to say that my admiration for those on the shop floor of the NHS, who are doing an truly amazing job in the circumstances, grows by the day.....
Indeed, let's hope we can assist by actually doing the distance thing.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3966296)   #947
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you can hold the cam in something like a lathe , with a protractor on the end , & a dial gauge onto the lobes .Then you can turn it to get the readings .
Assuming it is a pushrod engine , you know what the valve clearances are ,then you need to know if the rockers are 1 to 1 ratio so you can tell the moment the valves would open if it was in the engine .

Set the dial gauge onto the heel of the cam , then turn the camshaft until the dial goes up to the , [ corrected ]clearance .Make a note of that reading from the protractor . Then turn the cam back across the heel until the dial reads the clearance again . Those 2 protractor readings will give the dwell angle in degrees . [ Could be something like 250 odd degrees ] .
Take that figure from 360 , double it & you will have the valve open duration .
It is a bit more difficult if it is not in the engine , especially if you have to work out rocker ratio .
Old 23 Mar 2020, 16:49 (Ref:3966310)   #948
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
They're OHC XK Jaguar cams, which were a special grind by an ex racer/engineer. There's nothing stamped on them Peter apart from the original part number. I'm not too worried as no doubt they'll sit in my shed for another few years and probably end up getting thrown out.
Thanks for the help though
Old 23 Mar 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3966312)   #949
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
They're OHC XK Jaguar cams, which were a special grind by an ex racer/engineer. There's nothing stamped on them Peter apart from the original part number. I'm not too worried as no doubt they'll sit in my shed for another few years and probably end up getting thrown out.
Thanks for the help though
As an OHC they are easier to check because the cam profile is the same as timing & lift .
Old 23 Mar 2020, 17:28 (Ref:3966318)   #950
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not easy then!

You've still got a lot of arses in management who have no idea of priorities though, as my wife found out today. she deals with statistics and complaints, important when things are running OK but hardly life changing in the short term at the moment. One of the senior managers is still insisting she carries on as normal despite the fact she would be better deployed on other work even if it's only phoning round to cancel/rearrange non urgent clinical appointments to take the weight off other staff.
Closed Thread