Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which will be the first 2020 GP?
Australia 0 0%
Bahrain 0 0%
Vietnam 0 0%
China 0 0%
Netherlands 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Monaco 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Canada 2 5.13%
France 2 5.13%
Austria 1 2.56%
Britain 3 7.69%
Hungary 0 0%
Belgium 3 7.69%
Italy 0 0%
Singapore 2 5.13%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 2 5.13%
United States 1 2.56%
Mexico 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Abu Dhabi 2 5.13%
Somewhere else 0 0%
There will not be a 2020 GP 21 53.85%
There will never be another GP 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Aug 2021, 10:11 (Ref:4070293)   #2126
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Austin will probably not run two races, no. However I am expecting the USGP still to happen at this stage. As for Mexico and Brazil, we have to wait and see
Apparently there are literally no beds available in any hospital that F1 would use for care in case of an accident or any other reason medical care for the group is needed. Things will change, they might even get worse.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4070328)   #2127
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Apparently there are literally no beds available in any hospital that F1 would use for care in case of an accident or any other reason medical care for the group is needed. Things will change, they might even get worse.
And other reports of no COVID beds, most hospitals retain a few emergency beds outside of their vent/Covid care protocols. And a few reports from UT Health and the state board that reports of being full are not accurate so pick your source and go with it I guess.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 13:58 (Ref:4070334)   #2128
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe they can expand up/down as needed, but some are at (or beyond) the levels that they want to be at. But I suspect the situation is less about space (although some have had to create additional space to support the pandemic) and rather maybe about staffing issues (limited staff, staff burn-out due to ongoing high workloads/hours, etc.). So the problem is real.

Regardless. We know of the requirement that a medical helicopter be able to transport emergency patients. And if the weather is bad enough to ground the helicopter, the event/session can't take place. Can anyone point to a document that the FIA uses to determine the minimal requirements to run an event (or session at an event). I can imagine they may require something like a level 1 trauma center be within a specific minimal flight time. However, do they go the next step and look at local conditions at that trauma center (such as available beds... or can the facility currently support X number of level 1 trauma cases) during the period of the event?

I suspect (looking at thing today) they can support emergency situations. What they are not doing is elective or non-critical surgeries, etc. And of course the worn out staff would love for everyone to just go get vaccinated!

Richard
Old 25 Aug 2021, 15:11 (Ref:4070345)   #2129
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It would be quite a political nightmare if F1 had a GP in a location that could hinder medical places that treat covid patients, especially if the area is near critical
Old 25 Aug 2021, 15:20 (Ref:4070349)   #2130
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
given the number of sporting events which have already taken place in 'hot spots', will it really be a problem for F1 to do likewise?

at this point, sports seems to have been largely given a pass no?

cynical of me to say, but ability to travel without quarantine rules seems to be a bigger factor then local hospital capacity.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4070360)   #2131
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It would be quite a political nightmare if F1 had a GP in a location that could hinder medical places that treat covid patients, especially if the area is near critical
If the local hospitals are not able to handle critical emergencies, then there is a larger issue. At that point a significant regular car crash, etc. would put them over the top. And that can happen at any time. My point being that if local resources are REALLY stretched that thin, hosting an F1 race would likely not happen. But I suspect we are far from that.

Somewhat answering my own question above. I think there is really no way to easily measure local medical capacity at local hospitals in a way that would work for F1. When FP1 is about to start, does race control phone the local hospital and say "how many beds to you have ight this minute?" Even if they get an answer they like, that value could deteriorate seconds after they hang up the phone.

Note, I am not advocating for/against having the GP in COTA for 2021 or trying to downplay the current Covid situation.

Richard
Old 25 Aug 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4070361)   #2132
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It depends how bad the situation is and how bad the quarantine is and how much it will impact the medical situation there
Old 25 Aug 2021, 16:37 (Ref:4070366)   #2133
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
It depends how bad the situation is and how bad the quarantine is and how much it will impact the medical situation there
One thing to note given we are talking US GP. Broadly speaking the word "quarantine" does not exist here with respect to the topic of Covid.

What is discussed here is...

* Who is vaccinated or not
* Are kids in classroom or virtual
* What level of local (state/county/city) mandates (usually masks, but sometimes number of people) are in place.
* Business starting to impose vaccination requirements
* Infection numbers and impact to healthcare system (to a much lesser degree)

From a sporting perspective, there is occasional discussion about whatever protocols any given series has in place.

Richard
Old 25 Aug 2021, 17:04 (Ref:4070376)   #2134
S griffin
Veteran

F1 has continued to follow protocol wherever it’s gone, so there’s no reason why they shouldn’t if and when they go to Austin
Old 25 Aug 2021, 17:20 (Ref:4070381)   #2135
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
We know of the requirement that a medical helicopter be able to transport emergency patients. And if the weather is bad enough to ground the helicopter, the event/session can't take place. Can anyone point to a document that the FIA uses to determine the minimal requirements to run an event (or session at an event).
Appendix H of the International Sporting Code, Section 2.8.3.8.

Quote:
c) In some cases, a timed event may
deprived of the use of a helicopter for a
brief or extended period of time, in
particular:
- For circumstantial reasons, notably:
the helicopter has left for the transfer of
a casualty, and there is no means of
replacing it immediately.
- Due to weather conditions, notably:
no helicopter can land on the circuit or
take off from the circuit, or cannot fly in
the direction of / land on the helipad of
one or more hospitals.
etc, etc.

Last edited by Greem; 25 Aug 2021 at 17:21. Reason: paste the right quote!
Old 25 Aug 2021, 18:04 (Ref:4070386)   #2136
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Appendix H of the International Sporting Code
Thank you. I am a bit of a regulation geek and always like to see what is actually spelled out.

I scanned through the document. I may have missed something, but broadly it seems the focus (for this topic) is on...

* Capabilities at the on-site medical center and track itself.
* Transportation capabilities (helicopter, etc.)
* Local hospital capabilities (limited scope)

There is also apparently an overall "emergency plan" that is to deal with many situations including when something is so large it overwhelms the capabilities of the on-site medical center. While the structure of those plans might be somewhat boilerplate, I would think that these days they should address Covid/pandemic impacts in those plans.

As to local hospital capabilities, there is a check to make sure they have adequate surgical staff for a few specialties (imagine treating serious trauma) as well as appropriate blood supply. Nothing about available beds. There is to be a check-in/coordination with the hospital no later than 2 months prior to an F1 event. There is a desire for conditions at the hospital to not change on the run-up to the event outside of force majeure.

Areas that I think might be of concern by my reading.

1. It doesn't take into account dynamic situations. The document broadly assumes that if the hospital has staff and blood, then they are good. No mention of capacity.
2. What happens if things change after that 2 month check-in? I assume a big Covid spike might be a force majeure event with respect to local medical capabilities?
3. There is also paramedic needs for the event. I know that during some Covid peaks in the US that there was a real shortage of paramedic staff with people having to wait hours to get ambulance service to hospitals. I expect the event would pull in spare resources from the general Austin area, but if they are short handed, then it might be difficult to staff the event. I say this without knowing how many resources they ask to be on-sight for an F1 race.

Overall, like most FIA regulations. There is "as written" and "as actually implemented". I expect that if in the run-up to the event that it is clear that the local hospitals can't service the event in the spirit the F1/FIA wants, that someone will ring the alarm bells. There is a concept of a "Chief Medical Officer" called out in those regulations. I don't know if that is a FIA role that is event specific or might be a role that is filled for the season. Either way, it sounds like it would be the responsibility of that person to ring the alarm bells if they feel local medical infrastructure is at risk as it seems to be on them to coordinate all of these items.

Richard
Old 25 Aug 2021, 19:02 (Ref:4070392)   #2137
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The FIA CMO for Formula One is Dr Ian Roberts. The guy who hoiked Romain Grosjean over the barrier in Bahrain last year.

He doesn't just spend race weekends sitting on his butt in a fancy car!
Old 25 Aug 2021, 19:26 (Ref:4070396)   #2138
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
With NFL starting and kids Chuck ball on Saturdays the USGP should not be under any possibility of cancellation despite it being in Texas who along with Florida own some of the stupidest politicians in the Western World. These days you have to be extremely stupid to earn that title
Mexico and Brazil will almost certainly be cancelled with these areas on red list
Turkey also has a problem.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 00:16 (Ref:4070422)   #2139
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Thank you. I am a bit of a regulation geek and always like to see what is actually spelled out.

I scanned through the document. I may have missed something, but broadly it seems the focus (for this topic) is on...

* Capabilities at the on-site medical center and track itself.
* Transportation capabilities (helicopter, etc.)
* Local hospital capabilities (limited scope)

There is also apparently an overall "emergency plan" that is to deal with many situations including when something is so large it overwhelms the capabilities of the on-site medical center. While the structure of those plans might be somewhat boilerplate, I would think that these days they should address Covid/pandemic impacts in those plans.

As to local hospital capabilities, there is a check to make sure they have adequate surgical staff for a few specialties (imagine treating serious trauma) as well as appropriate blood supply. Nothing about available beds. There is to be a check-in/coordination with the hospital no later than 2 months prior to an F1 event. There is a desire for conditions at the hospital to not change on the run-up to the event outside of force majeure.

Areas that I think might be of concern by my reading.

1. It doesn't take into account dynamic situations. The document broadly assumes that if the hospital has staff and blood, then they are good. No mention of capacity.
2. What happens if things change after that 2 month check-in? I assume a big Covid spike might be a force majeure event with respect to local medical capabilities?
3. There is also paramedic needs for the event. I know that during some Covid peaks in the US that there was a real shortage of paramedic staff with people having to wait hours to get ambulance service to hospitals. I expect the event would pull in spare resources from the general Austin area, but if they are short handed, then it might be difficult to staff the event. I say this without knowing how many resources they ask to be on-sight for an F1 race.

Overall, like most FIA regulations. There is "as written" and "as actually implemented". I expect that if in the run-up to the event that it is clear that the local hospitals can't service the event in the spirit the F1/FIA wants, that someone will ring the alarm bells. There is a concept of a "Chief Medical Officer" called out in those regulations. I don't know if that is a FIA role that is event specific or might be a role that is filled for the season. Either way, it sounds like it would be the responsibility of that person to ring the alarm bells if they feel local medical infrastructure is at risk as it seems to be on them to coordinate all of these items.

Richard
There is an inspection process that goes into the quality of the local hospital, the distance the hospital is from the track, the qualifications of the medical staff on hand, the supplies and operating theatres that need to be on hand during the event. It is very thorough and would be under Michael Massi's control now. The rules may not be in the sporting rules, but will be covered in the circuit certification. I believe Melbourne does not need a helicopter because the major hospital is practically on site, being just across the road immediately outside the circuit and the road is kept open for exclusive use of patient transfer throughout the event.

There is also the Grand Prix Medical unit that attends events in Europe, that is capable of emergency stabilization of two patients concurrently - not up to date on this. All circuits that are not able to use this are forced to build and staff (whose qualifications and competency are certified by whoever replaced Sid Watkins) a hospital for this emergency stabilization.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 17:34 (Ref:4070523)   #2140
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
...I believe Melbourne does not need a helicopter because the major hospital is practically on site, being just across the road immediately outside the circuit and the road is kept open for exclusive use of patient transfer throughout the event...
did not know that. interesting.

a nice selling feature for tracks set up next to hospitals. and i would also guess that the need to have a hospital with specific facilities and units available nearby as a prerequisite has lent itself to seeing these local hospitals (along with other required infrastructure) receive upgrades over the years in order for the area to maintain their events.

so is it possible that the local area hospital (the hospital used in Austin in this case) has already made the upgrades required (add beds/staff) to both host the GP and to deal with their local covid responsibilities?

rather, because they knew the GP was coming during covid, they may have taken steps to ensure their covid care is not compromised. perhaps even a step they would not have considered had the GP been canceled outright?

obviously just speculating and maybe this is wishful thinking, but sports can have ancillary benefits to local communities beyond just restaurant and hotel usage.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 17:43 (Ref:4070527)   #2141
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Seems you can have an Open Tennis Tournament but not a GP?
Old 26 Aug 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4070528)   #2142
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Seems you can have an Open Tennis Tournament but not a GP?
sure but didnt the tennis players all have to quarantine in a local hotel?

F1's concern is they cant and/or dont want to quarantine.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 17:55 (Ref:4070530)   #2143
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Understand they are negotiating a bubble for the Open as reported today. Not same limits as earlier this year
Old 26 Aug 2021, 21:28 (Ref:4070553)   #2144
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Understand they are negotiating a bubble for the Open as reported today. Not same limits as earlier this year
That is a political battle that requires agreement between state and federal governments.Given the current Covid situation in Australia that seems a long way off.I would bet on Aus Open or rather it’s replacement as Grand Slam event taking place in Middle East next year.
Old 27 Aug 2021, 05:15 (Ref:4070594)   #2145
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt any tennis player will volunteer for hotel quarantine again if their reaction to last year is anything to go by. At the moment it is political pistols at ten paces and we will see who is still standing when the shooting stops. The natives are getting restless and the pollies are ducking for cover hoping the storm will not blow their house down.
Old 27 Aug 2021, 13:51 (Ref:4070662)   #2146
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
At the moment it is political pistols at ten paces and we will see who is still standing when the shooting stops. The natives are getting restless and the pollies are ducking for cover hoping the storm will not blow their house down.
I think that must be a Tentenths record for the number of metaphors in a single paragraph
Old 27 Aug 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4070663)   #2147
S griffin
Veteran

With Turkey in the red zone, there’s a good chance the GP will be cancelled for a second. Mugello has been named as a possible replacement, so watch this space
Old 27 Aug 2021, 21:41 (Ref:4070723)   #2148
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Take title of the first ever world championship GP ever! At Silverstone. Before people got so worked up about such things.
Old 31 Aug 2021, 09:56 (Ref:4071347)   #2149
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
With Turkey in the red zone....
Is this part of a recipe instruction....? Turn down the gas.....
Old 31 Aug 2021, 19:47 (Ref:4071418)   #2150
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Is this part of a recipe instruction....? Turn down the gas.....

The country is a bit stuffed atm