Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2002, 16:50 (Ref:254970)   #1
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota will also have a big update on their engines...

Here is the article from www.f1i.com

The team has surprised the F1 establishment with its reliability and performance out of the box, with Mika Salo finishing sixth in two out of the first three races. "It's no big deal, I have finished sixth before," said the Finn, who clearly expects Toyota to go on to far greater things sooner rather than later.

While other teams have frantically set about putting new components on their cars, Toyota has not made any major changes since the start of the season. Now, though, it is bringing in a revised version of the RVX-01 engine in a bid to find more ultimate pace. While Toyota's reliability has been key to its initial success, as attrition has accounted for a large number of its rivals, it knows it needs more speed if it is to improve further than sixth.

"There is a big step," smiled Salo after the Brazilian Grand Prix. He is clearly hopeful that the new engine will improve his points-scoring record in the team's rookie season.

Big difference between the way Toyota does things and Honda.
They keep it under wraps and juct do it....

Wonder what Hondas reaction will be, are we going to see a few Honda engineers comit "Sepuku"
Old 8 Apr 2002, 18:52 (Ref:255031)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda will have egg on its face as it is... "an all-new engine"...yeah right!
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 9 Apr 2002, 01:42 (Ref:255257)   #3
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Toyota will also have a big update on their engines...

Quote:
Originally posted by mariov
[B]Here is the article from www.f1i.com
I thought Toyota is using the RVX-02 this year, they used the RVX-01 engine in their 2001 TF101 chasis designed by Andre de Corzante when they did their pre-season testings....now i wonder where f1i.com got their resources from?
Old 9 Apr 2002, 09:46 (Ref:255403)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This is very interesting - Toyota has been testing very systematically, with what I would describe as Teutonic efficiency and thoroughness. Now if they could just up their game to be running with Renault and Sauber from the start, we could have probably the best F1 season for years.
Last post today - I just cut my finger really badly and I can't type anymore.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 15:22 (Ref:255721)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1i is a joke. They love to hype their articles to keep their readers. I would not put too much money on their accuracy. So now that Toyota is having a "major step" I guess they are going to have 865 or 870 hp now. Poor BMW, maybe they need to get it into gear now too. I see it now Toyota takes it first victory with new 875 hp motor, to the shock and horror of the Williams and BMW garage. Gimmie a break!
Old 9 Apr 2002, 15:33 (Ref:255724)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota have started very well for a new team . I hope they get up the top very quick and put some pressure on Mclaren , that would surprise them for sure . It would also contribute to giving us a great year of F1.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 03:08 (Ref:256107)   #7
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Poor BMW, maybe they need to get it into gear now too. I see it now Toyota takes it first victory with new 875 hp motor, to the shock and horror of the Williams and BMW garage. Gimmie a break!
Are you sure Toyota is gonna have that kinda power? At the beginning of the season, i've heard rumours of the BMW P82 engine producing 19,000rpm and 900bhp but as it turned out Mario Theissen ruled out those bandied talks as pure speculations.

But then who knows if Ferrari & BMW had just done that. I just don see Toyota nearing both of them just yet...they still have Sauber, Renault & McLaren infront of them.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 16:18 (Ref:256569)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I was being sarcastic! I dont doubt they are improving the motor and chassis. It is just the rumors of a big improvement on their "850" hp motor seemed a bit far fetched.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 01:26 (Ref:256890)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
exactly what i had in mind too...they are doing well enough with their package now, what they should do is to collect datas on all circuits raced..then only find ways to improve.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 01:42 (Ref:256893)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I suspect that Toyota have not used the full power of their engine to date, preferring to go the route of reliability. It could be that they might go to a little more power.
The impression I get from these articles is that Toyota, like most everyone else, is continuously developing their engine and computre technology, and this is just a small improvement in power/engine management/ecu applicability related to engine, gearbox, diff, launch control, and whatever else that damn thing controls that we don't know about. I do not believe that we will see a quantum leap in engine development.
Oh yes!! There is also a small improvement in their front wing.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 16:31 (Ref:257380)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Grrr. Damn Toyotas. They are just everywhere... was that out loud?? They do seem to have things together. Even though they are not "really Japanese" I would like to see a team that is not European in the running. Just to compare technology and racing knowledge. I would really like to see an American team in the sport. Anywway, I feel the motor is well developed and is running atthe best they can get from it now. There might be improvement in the future but I dont see leaps and bounds.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 02:11 (Ref:257751)   #12
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a rumor last year that some guy was trying to put together a Team Canada, dream team to enter F1. I forget what they wanted to do first, either engine or chassis only and then eventually doing both.

I'm guessing it's easier to build a chassis than an engine?
Old 12 Apr 2002, 02:40 (Ref:257775)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
This Japanese lady went to see an optometrist. "Madam," he said, "you have a cataract".

"No, No!!" she replied. "I have a Toyota."

Old 12 Apr 2002, 03:46 (Ref:257804)   #14
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OMG, you guys judge whole toyota/honda things too soon. honda's efforts in f1 is disapposinting now, and it is really hurting honda's reputation as a great racing company.
Pls look at HRC's records in motor sports before deciding which is better. only a few races toyota did well. In moto gp, honda is so unbeatable that I am acutally supporting under dog like suzuki.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 04:14 (Ref:257814)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
I'm not undermining Toyota and Honda at all...my wife drives a Toyota Carina (4WD) to work everyday and her office is on top of a mountain (Satellite control center)..she says that the car handles superbly.

Honda should have think twice though before enterin the Formula1 and look even Proton is ahead of them in the BTCC manufacturers classifications.