Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 14 Aug 2000, 11:26 (Ref:30404)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's now only a month until the greatest / best meeting of the year!!!

I shall be present for all three days - such dedication!!!

Who else shall be there??
Old 14 Aug 2000, 11:52 (Ref:30416)   #2
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You really should go.......

Well, you already know I'll be there Dan, also for all three days. What about the rest of the 10 tenths gang?

Also, does anyone know exactly what's racing this year, and are there any rumours on interesting guest drivers. Like will Brundle be back in a project Aston?

Finally, to concur with Dan, this really is the finest meeting of the year.
Old 21 Aug 2000, 18:14 (Ref:31883)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
To be honest, I don't think that this meeting holds a great deal of interest to the 'younger' 10 Tenths members (oh, and Invader) - it's all a bit 'poncey' from what i've heard. The festival is something else though - you'll not catch me missing that next year

Those of us not equipped with suits and ties will be at Silverstone for the last ever Super Touring BTCC round...
Old 21 Aug 2000, 20:49 (Ref:31919)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Poncey", Mister Antill?

Perhaps sober would be a better word. A race meeting where the cars run just as quickly, but the pace of life is a little more genteel than ten-tenths is used to.

Truly the very best meeting of the year. The most beautiful historic racing cars, the lowest flying Spitfires, the most evocative atmosphere in the entire calendar is about to take place.

I'll be there for sure. All three days, and if the weather's good, I'll try for the cricket match on Thursday too. (Murray Walker as umpire - classic!)

The paddock passes are ordered, the tweed jacket has come back from Sketchleys, the knitted silk Bentley tie is crisply pressed and ready to go, the shoes are buffed, and the grey trilby hat has been re-pointed.

I am officially ready for Goodwood.

The show may begin.
Old 21 Aug 2000, 21:18 (Ref:31936)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sober ? I like that word...

The other problem with Goodwood is, of course, the cost - how much are the airhorns ?
Old 21 Aug 2000, 22:53 (Ref:31967)   #6
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure I like being described as an 'older' member of 10-tenths, having just turned 28, but I can assure all of you who think going to see some repmobiles in the dark that weekend is a better idea, that you are making the wrong choice.

As for poncey, definitely not, genteel, I can go with that, at least until the cars start racing, and then its as hectic as any meeting in the year.

If you've enjoyed the festival, then this is better.

PS, No airhorns, but a football rattle may be in keeping with the surroundings...

Old 22 Aug 2000, 07:50 (Ref:32056)   #7
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm 24!!!! And don't regard myself as old... not quite anyway.

'Poncey' - never, it's just a bit of a timewarp.. I don't go to the festival anymore, as this is just so much better - and the racing is 10 times better than anything you'll find in the TOCA package... honest guv.

It is also the only venue in world where you get Ray Hanna in a Spitfire coming past you at head level, and the crowd at Madgewick ducking as a DC3 comes into land!!! Just fantastic...
Old 22 Aug 2000, 11:27 (Ref:32080)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
And as for cost... how much does a ticket cost for TOCA / Powertour?? As the Goodwood ticket for Saturday costs 25 quid, I think thats pretty good value for money considering all the work that is involved in running this one off event every year..
Old 22 Aug 2000, 17:28 (Ref:32149)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Well, to be blunt, older cars are not really my cup of tea (with the possible exception of the pre-war German machines... ) so maybe i'm biased. The reason I enjoyed the festival so much this year was due to the MIX of machinery on display - it wasn't just oldies... AND you don't have to dress like a pillock!

Goodwood IS expensive - no getting away from that - I think it was like 40 quid for the festival (that's nearly as much as the taxman takes off me... but much more fun ) but it's the cost of food and drink too. Crazy money. Can't really tell you how that compares against Powertour or TOCA events as we very rarely seem to pay full whack nowadays - freebies, competitions, no-one on the gate, special offers, etc.

Maybe, just maybe, i'll give it a go next year - if it doesn't clash with anything else.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 20:57 (Ref:32181)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
AND you don't have to dress like a pillock!

Just because I'm quoting you, Craig, doesn't mean I have anything against your Eng-Er-Lund football shirt. Honest!

While I freely admit that blazer and tie is more my natural tendency anyway, I actually like the idea that the spectators are encouraged to make an effort to make the event what it is.

As for expense, well, I paid about as much for the BTCC entrance and camping at Snetterton as I did for two days' worth of Goodwood. I guess it's whatever sets your heart racing. The ten-tenths gang is what made the Snetterton meeting for me. You can be sure I wouldn't have been there to watch a dozen supertourers going round and round in the dark and the rain.

Old 22 Aug 2000, 23:06 (Ref:32207)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was all set to attend this year, but sadly will not be able to make it, as my dad's health has begun to fail (he will be 81 this year) and I must go to visit the family instead.

But I will be there next year in full Lauren Bacall mode and look forward to a long weekend of not looking like a garage mechanic (my other secret identity).
Old 22 Aug 2000, 23:12 (Ref:32210)   #12
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Oh, Liz, I'm really sorry to hear that. I have been looking forward to meeting up again in a Goodwood environment.

Never mind. Next year it is, and in the meantime there is Le Mans to look forward to first.

My very best wishes to your Dad. I'll be thinking of you and your family. Hope it's a really good get-together for you all.
Old 30 Aug 2000, 09:27 (Ref:33880)   #13
Marshal
Veteran

Got my tickets yesterday, () I'm going to be at post 6, which I think is on the apex of the Left handed part of St. Mary's, so I'll be just up the road from Dan (who'll be situated on the entrance to Lavant I think). I can't tell you what I'll be wearing, as it depends on the weather, but for once in the year it won't be orange overall's.

Whichever ensemble I go for, it will probably include an old fashioned blue cap, and I'll be holding a flag of some description! So if you are wondering by, stop off and ask for Jon, it'd be nice to meet some other 10-tenther's in the flesh.
Old 6 Sep 2000, 07:01 (Ref:35290)   #14
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Only a week to go!!!!

Just too excited for words... just please let it be sunny!!

('Marshal', just noticed your marshalling with the Boyles.. you'll have to keep Andy under control as this will be the first motor racing he's seen for 6 months!!! Just come back from France.. could get over excited.)