Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 26 Jun 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2238099)   #1
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
WSBK Silly Season 2009

After a few weeks of speculation (mainly in German press), Ruben Xaus has been confirmed at BMW!

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk..._for_bmw!.html

Nice one Ruben, please keep it rubber side down!

By the way, Kevin Curtain was flown in from Australia last week, to test the new BMW at the Lausitzring. His best lap was a 1:41.1 (Haga's record is 1:38,622)

Jeremy McWilliams also tested, his best lap was 1:43.4.

Last edited by Gerben24; 26 Jun 2008 at 15:43.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2238111)   #2
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
After a few weeks of speculation (mainly in German press), Ruben Xaus has been confirmed at BMW!

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk..._for_bmw!.html

Nice one Ruben, please keep it rubber side down!

By the way, Kevin Curtain was flown in from Australia last week, to test the new BMW at the Lausitzring. His best lap was a 1:41.1 (Haga's record is 1:38,622)

Jeremy McWilliams also tested, his best lap was 1:43.4.
I thought Ruben Xaus had some involvement with Sterilgarda or am I going nuts? Probably the latter. Assuming he has, would he be taking them with him?
Old 26 Jun 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2238112)   #3
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Meanwhile in Valencia, Alex Hoffman is testing the new Aprilia superbike. In bad weather circumstances he was around 2 seconds slower than the lap record.

I have never seen an official announcement from Aprilia, to confirm that they will compete in WSBK in 2009.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2238122)   #4
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa
I thought Ruben Xaus had some involvement with Sterilgarda or am I going nuts? Probably the latter. Assuming he has, would he be taking them with him?
Don't worry, all is sound and well: Go-eleven is the company managing Xaus. They are one of the main sponsors of the team. Don't know what they're going to do now Xaus is leaving.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk...t_to_stay.html
Old 30 Jun 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2240271)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is anybody else confirmed for 2009? Any word on who will replace Bayliss?
Old 2 Jul 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2242222)   #6
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Pete_58 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Meanwhile in Valencia, Alex Hoffman is testing the new Aprilia superbike. In bad weather circumstances he was around 2 seconds slower than the lap record.

I have never seen an official announcement from Aprilia, to confirm that they will compete in WSBK in 2009.
What about KTM? They have just started selling their superbike (which looks very nice BTW). I thought they were planning an assault on WSB aswell?

The next few years in WSB could be the place to be, the return of Aprillia, BMW and possibly KTM, riders starting to come through and prove themselves and the retirement of possibly one of the most successful riders which will surley open up the field. Wow!!
Old 2 Jul 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2242322)   #7
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If KTM join too, WSBK is very much in rude health. Makes MotoGP's thin grids look a little bit worrying... I think BMW's decision to stick with Superbike was bad for MotoGP, although I wonder if this is a mere prelude to something in the future...

Several names linked to replace Bayliss... Biaggi, Canepa and Byrne seem to be the faves, although I wonder if they'd take a punt at someone like Smrz... I think its Biaggi's to lose really - an experienced replacement to partner a promising, Italian rider like Fabrizio. Says it all really.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2242513)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I were KTM I would perhaps be a little concerned, I am not sure the rules are set in stone, especially in BSB.

They have entered a team in Superstock but teh bike is always at the back and not yet on the pace.

Would be fantastic to have them in there though on a factory bike.

Am surprised at Hoffmann, surely he would be a dead cert for the other BMW ride!!

As for BMW wanting to be in GP I doubt that very much really, they have very little to gain yet as they are not really a sportsbike manufacturer yet.

WSBK is an easier, less out of the spotlight idea, and it also has much more relevance with their road bike market, they may include things like teh Telelever front end and otehr new ideas on the bike.

This kind of stuff will also be possible on a GP bike, but those bikes are now so far away from road.

PLus, surely they are pumping millions into F1, spending millions on a bike aswell is perhaps optimistic!
Old 3 Jul 2008, 06:44 (Ref:2242819)   #9
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
KTM will not be in WSBK in 2009. The earliest they'll be in WSBK will be 2010. They want to have a bit more experience in the whole circus and they need a lot more development with the bike (according to themselves). However, if they want more succes in Superstock, they need to put a lot more effort into the show. They work out of the smallest tent you've ever seen and there are only about 5 or 6 guys running the business. At the beginning of the year they were going to run two bikes, but the official KTM team I've seen at the races only have one rider entering the races.

BMW will not run the telelever front suspension layout on their current S1000RR bike, as there is simply no space for it.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2247348)   #10
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Just to add fuel to the BMW fire, was looking on crash.net this morning and BMW confirmed that they had been in talks with Corser and other riders (Hoffman?)!! Few pics of the bike aswell, looks nice.

Not much from Aprillia, whats happening there? Rider wise?
Old 9 Jul 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2247833)   #11
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Aprilia are testing with Hoffman, so I don't see him going to BMW.

Neil Tuxworths HM Plant Honda team might ride in WSBK next year, depending on Honda-Britains support.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2247898)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you can pretty much shoe in Canepa for a Xerox ride

Tardozzi and Corse have had him riding race bikes pretty much every day for weeks now

So I imagine he will be the Italian on Xerox, with Fabri getting the boot I hope
Old 9 Jul 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2247992)   #13
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Yeah, I also think Canepa will get the Duc ride. He has been riding the Motogp bike a lot lately, but yesterday was the first time since pre-season he rode the Xerox bike. He's been very impressive during the wsbk test, yesterday 2nd overall and this morning he was 2nd just behind Xaus.

I have to say, last year he became champion in the Superstock class, but I never saw him as the biggest talent. He has surprised me a lot with his testrides this year.

I don't think Fabrizio has been THAT bad. Maybe he can get the seat vacated by Xaus.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 14:33 (Ref:2248661)   #14
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Aprilia are testing with Hoffman, so I don't see him going to BMW.
Some footage of Hoffman testing the Aprilia RSV-4

Testing the rear brake.

And testing the front brake.

That Aprilia sounds sweet!
Old 13 Jul 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2250017)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Am surprised at Hoffmann, surely he would be a dead cert for the other BMW ride!!
That depends on whether they want a German rider or a fast rider. The guy's achieved very little at any stage of his career; no podiums from his time in 125s or 250s, let alone MotoGP. I'm surprised Aprillia are interested in him.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2250124)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Erm I think that is (typically) a rather narrow view of Hoffman

He has had some good rides in teh past an a number of machines, rememebr he never really had good equipment on a lot of bikes.

He was actually very good on a 250 considering he was not on factory bikes, winning European series I think.

Not world class maybe, but certainly deserving of a decent ride somewhere, much like Checa who crashes his brains out but still gets rides.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2253144)   #17
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over on the BSB forum there is much discussion on Shane Byrne getting a works Ducati ride but I've yet to see it rumoured elsewhere....
Old 5 Aug 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2263674)   #18
JohnnyFiama
Racer

Looks like the Ducati shortlist is now Biaggi, Byrne and Vermeulen.

Are there any more details on BMW and Aprilia? How many bikes will they be entering? Any riders confirmed yet or just Xaus?

I had drifted away from WSB for a while but it is looking better and better at the moment.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2264274)   #19
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
still just xaus on the bmw at the moment - havent heard about aprilia...
Old 6 Aug 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2264353)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would imagine Aprilia will try and have an Italian, I can actually see Max going there, remember he wa a huge star, possibly even bigger than Rossi at Aprilia, even though he was a nightmare to work with!

I seriously think Corser will stay at Yamaha. Hoffmann will be Aprilia other rider and Byrne will get Xerox I hope.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2264357)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many Americans likely to come to Europe with all the troubles going on over there at the moment (they'll presumebly have to take a pay-cut either way, if the US factory efforts all disband)
Old 6 Aug 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2264512)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I could only maybe see Josh Hayes and Hodgson riding over here perhaps.

I am sure we would have heard if Hodge was coming as his PR machine I believe is the same as Toselands, so there would have been stuff going on to secure a ride.

The team from US will be coming aswell.

Only riders I see form US are perhaps Hayes, Spies (if GP doesnt come off he will ride Alstare) and perhaps someone liek Chaz Davies or Cardenas, they ahve GP experience for a WSS team.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 09:52 (Ref:2272049)   #23
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Some other rumors doing the rounds are...

Tony Elias (MotoGP Alice Ducati) to Santander Yamaha WSBK, taking Corsers ride. Corser rumoured to be the second BWM rider alongside Xaus. A good move for BMW, Corser is said to be good at bike set up.

Nakano also rumoured to be heading WSBK way.

Should make some space in MotoGP...
Old 22 Aug 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2273612)   #24
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eugene Laverty is replacing Fabien Foret in the next 2 Supersport rounds on the factory Yamaha - you never know, it could lead to a ride in 2009...
Old 4 Sep 2008, 07:24 (Ref:2281388)   #25
JohnnyFiama
Racer

There is much talk of some of the BSB guys joining WSB next year. What are the chances of GSE making the move with Shakey or Rizla with Tom Sykes?

World Superbikes is looking really exciting for next year, I can't wait to see BMW and Aprilia out there and, if you believe some of the rumours, there are some great new riders joining the series.

With the 800cc MotoGP bikes putting on such dull races (with a few notable exceptions) this really is the time for WSBK to shine.