Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 May 2002, 01:37 (Ref:299976)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"New prancing dancing motor"

I almost dread the arrival of the Canadian GP. I know David Hobbs is going to have something to say about the evolution of the Honda engine, and it won’t be good. Here is an example. When McNish was fast in Monaco practive he was singing all praises to Toyota. As soon as GF placed third he says, "We must remember that this is just practice". Luckily it will be delayed one week but I can hear him now. "Well the new prancing dancing Honda motor does not seem to be living up to its expectations...but the incredible BMW powah is ever-present on this track...

Anyway, the second step of the motor is to be debuted in Canada. I hope this puts them at least in Sauber territory.
Old 30 May 2002, 02:09 (Ref:299998)   #2
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I hope so too, though with *******t chassis like BAR and Jordan it would be difficult.
Old 30 May 2002, 02:42 (Ref:300015)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think the Jordan chassis is all that bad. It could do with some work, of course, but Fisichella has been saying that there is nothing wrong with it.

The main problem has been the engine and the complete lack of power.
Old 30 May 2002, 05:30 (Ref:300051)   #4
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad news for Honda its new step 2 engine lunched itself yesterday at Silverstone, which is not to unusual for testing but it is not the best of signs. They are testing in Paul Ricard so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Old 30 May 2002, 08:49 (Ref:300130)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that Montreal will suit the BAR or the Jordan, but of those two Jordan is clearly better sorted. Biggest variable, as always, will be tyres - can Michelin follow up on their Monaco success with another "blinder" of a qualifying tyre? This coming race is also supposed to be the launch of the new F24b - so here's hoping for a good scrap (although Montoya's BMW didn't like Monaco, which is a lot less stressful than Montreal).
Old 30 May 2002, 16:02 (Ref:300488)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
From daily F1...

David Richards, BAR Team Principal, said confidence was high about breaking the points drought at Montreal even if the modified machine would not get a thorough test this week.

‘Our aero update kit, revised gearbox and new Honda engine will be available for Canada, albeit with only a very short amount of testing this coming week,’ Richards explained.

Working on engine mapping is tricky. Wrong settings can cause failure like yesterdays.
Old 30 May 2002, 17:07 (Ref:300552)   #7
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the silly phrase Hobbo uses is, in fact, "all singing, all dancing" -- a reference to promos in the early years of talking motion pictures. On the issue, though, why do you dislike him for pointing out the apparent shortcomings of the Honda motor? Kill the messenger who brings bad news, the world is only description...? I kinda like Hobbs' comments, and even more those of Matchett; plan to watch the Speed version of Monaco too.
Old 30 May 2002, 21:03 (Ref:300815)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Well you might look at it from an objective point of view but I do it subjectively. He always has negative things to say about Honda. Jag is doing worse than any of the Honda teams and he does not seem to notice (ok so Jag got lucky in the begining). Steve is way more informed and objective than Hobbs.

Wait till Canada. I am willing to bet that no one else but him will have something negative to say. Maybe its just me and my fanaticism. However the reason I made the post is someone brought it up to me. I had noticed it but thought I was just being biased. However, my friend that does not even like Honda asked me why does this man constantly rag on them.
Old 31 May 2002, 10:48 (Ref:301297)   #9
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody notices Jaguar because nobody is surprised? I don't know.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 31 May 2002, 15:44 (Ref:301656)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Just read on formulaone.com that the introduction of the new motor has been delayed. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines02/05/s9646.html

Great! This cant be a good sign. It is said the mapping still needs to be done. I guess the weather did not help.
Old 31 May 2002, 16:17 (Ref:301716)   #11
Mantis13
Racer

Mantis13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why am I not surprised that it will be delayed. But I guess taking the time to make sure the thing is right and not just another "Suzuka Special" is the right decision.
Old 2 Jun 2002, 16:13 (Ref:302852)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
"David Hobbs owns David Hobbs Honda, a dealership in Milwaukee Wisconsin. He drove a factory Honda in 1968."

I cut this from someone elses post in another forum. That shut me up! Maybe then he feels as I do... frustrated knowing they can do as well if not better than the best in F1 today.